timbarrett

Average fall rate calculation

Just starting to get involved in basic RW jumps and I'd like to understand a little more about is meant by "average fall rate". I have consulted my shiny new Neptune which reports an average around 115mph and then gives rates for 3 different heights where i seem to top out around 134mph when just doing a solo.
When I am considering my fall rate and what i should be aiming for when making RW jumps which number should i be looking at? Obviously when you have others with you you can work to match them but should i be thinking about one or other of these numbers in terms of my weight/jumpsuit construction etc?
"Work hard, play hard and don't whinge"

I'm not exactly sure how the Neptune numbers compare with the ProTrack numbers and I should start out by saying that I -always- use True Airspeed when keeping track of such things.

I have, for quite a few years, been keeping track of the fall rate during 4-way camera jumps that I make and I make a lot. I also jump with a very wide range of 4-way jumpers from world champions to newbies getting coaching.

What I've found is that good ol' basic belly-to-earth RW has a fairly large wide range of fall rates depending on who is on the team and what is socially acceptable in that particular group.

For instance, last year my team fell at right around 122 mph true airspeed. Last week I was jumping with a team of similar capabilities and expertise that fell at about 115 mph true airspeed. Both groups were -exactly- correct in their fall rates for the people they had and what they were doing.

I have jumped with groups on what I consider to be the far extreme edges of fall rates for belly-to-earth RW; a bit less than 110 and all the way up to 135.

BTW, the peak readings you're getting during your RW jumps are most likely not during the actual RW portion of your skydive, but rather your track and deployment.

I would say that for you to be able to do enjoyable RW, you need to have a range of tools at your disposal. Maybe a couple of different jumpsuits and if you're a lighter individual, some lead. This way you can tailor your fall rate to whatever the group is doing.

I -personally- think your target fall rate for the very middle of all this should be right around 120. If you had a "normal" jumpsuit that allowed you to do that and not have to wear any lead, then I think you'd be in pretty good shape. A baggy jumpsuit could then slow you down and some lead could speed you up.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver