margo81

.....FEAR........ . . . . . .

hello everyone, anyone getting scared apart from me???
didn't have any jumps for something like 2 months now and i took all the weekend of work so i can spend it at the dz and already freaking out!!! last time i had to redo my aff 4 i chikened out in the plane... yeah...it was really bad... hope noone remembers me:D:D:D

also it's getting really cold and it's gonna make it even worse!!!

anyhow... will tell my instructor to kick me out if i come up with an excuse this time.... so i didn't took off my weekend off for nothing....:D:)

maybe i should start doing yoga? any other sugestions?;)

cheers!

is it really cold in Perth tonight or.. :D

Perth Autum 12500ft agl above 0º I think this is called door fear, Take a deep breath an relax,
90% of skydivers at onetime or another have had it. Secret to over coming door fear ,

You'll find it within yourself by relaxing,

Gone fishing

I had a similar thing happen to me and i posted as you did. I received great encourgement but none as good as what chutless said.
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1074848;search_string=fear;#1074848

Believe in YOURSELF. You are a proven jumper.

If you have jumped before, all subsequent jumps are repeats.

If you have conquered the sky before...you can do a repeat jump...and conquer it again.

You know there isnt anything to be afraid of...you were able to demonstrate that you copuld handle it all before...go and handle it all again.

Believe in YOURSELF....and do it again...just like the last time.

I'd wish you good luck, but luck doesnmt really enter into it...it is you and your ability...the same ability you demonstrated to everyone before...use it again.

Have a great jump.

Bill Cole D-41

Getting out was my problem when I was young (before God took the sun critical). Problem was I had no control - someone told me when to go and the reserve cord pulled the pin. When I got back into the sport it transferred to AFF this spring - just had to get out the door.

BUT

The freefall was like communing with the universe - rushed at first, that's expected and why there is a progression program. After a while the door wasn't an obstacle or a barrier, it was a nuisence. Finally, it became a portal, a friend that was waiting to open on 60 seconds of pure freedom.

NOW

I enjoy taking a look at it as I leave. Watching it open for the next lucky soul that will pass through on their way.

If you keep going you'll find that feeling.

P.S. Wear your woolies.

---------------------------------------------
Every day is a bonus - every night is an adventure.

It's normal to be bloody scared. You're jumping out of an airplane for Christ's sake!

Use the 'Search Posts' link above and search for 'Door Fear'. You'll find loads of helpful hints on how to help with it. And remember, once you're in freefall you'll remember why you do it B|.

I had it bad. I got yanked out of the door by my AFF instructors who susequently had to pull for me. I trusted the equip but it took me some time to trust myself. I love exiting now but still have to learn to slow down and relax sometimes. New types of exits still make me nervous

I meditated on the way to altitude. It also helps to jump with someone you trust and do a bunch of different exits

"You did what?!?!"

MUFF #3722, TDSM #72, Orfun #26, Nachos Rodriguez

You'll find it within yourself by relaxing,

Exactly. Was out for a year due to a number of "inconveniences". Some might call them bad decisions...

At any rate I just did the refresher course and felt the butterflies on the ride up. When the door opened though I just relaxed remembered the planned the dive flow, climbed into position, counted, and exited.

The jump went well, though not perfect. No issues really, just wished there was more docking ;)

Just relaxe and breathe. Remember to stay confident in yourself and your training. I swear, the game is 99% mental, in my opinion.

good luck, don't forget to pull :)
Does whisky count as beer? - Homer
There's no justice like angry mob justice. - Skinner
Be careful. There's a limited future in low pulls - JohnMitchell

Hey, I had something between fear and panic my first 50 jumps. I had 2 or 3 jumps this past weekend, where I was getting into position in the door and though, “what the hell am I doing?”!?!?” and got a tinge of fear. It’s perfectly normal. It’s funny though. I find once I’m out the door, the fear goes away.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

"What tha hell am i doing?!?!?" is exactely what i tought when i refused to jump.
i'm not sure if i am over excited about the weekend or scared or a mixture of the feelings!! :)
i know i was thinking of my last flat spin? or whatever it's called... and the instructor somehow not being able to do anything... then getting completely lost- not sure how tough.. pulling low and not being able to finish flaring while landing downwind :) :) :)
i do like action movies!!!!:D

I almost hurled Saturday morning while riding to altitude... from being nervous... (I didn't...) and I told the guy next to me that I was a little scared... (and this was after only two weeks off...)

I was a little nervous on my second jump on sunday as well because I was on a smaller canopy then I had ever jumped before... (it was a demo of a 150...)

Being scared is a good thing... it reminds you that what you're doing is dangerous...
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

We continue to get scared to some degree now and then, no matter how many jumps we have. A lot of us get some nerves on the first jump of the weekend, or if we've been away for a few weeks or months. Myself, I was out for a little over 22 years and finally got back in. I knew I really wanted to jump, but on the ride up and especially when the door was opened, I was thinking, "Why the HELL am I doing this again ?". It took several more jumps before the dry mouth went away (look around you sometime and notice the little mints or Tic-Tacs being passed around).

It helps if you concentrate on what your job will be on the jump. It's good to close your eyes and visualize it, even moving your arms and head around a little bit. Maybe 2 or 3 times, then knock it off and relax. Look at some of the other people who are relaxing or telling nasty little jokes, seeing other people relaxing or enjoying themselves can help.

And when it's time to get up and go, concentrate on the job, work at it. It will get you out the door. Once you're out, you'll be just fine.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

i know i was thinking of my last flat spin? or whatever it's called... and the instructor somehow not being able to do anything... then getting completely lost- not sure how tough.. pulling low and not being able to finish flaring while landing downwind :) :) :)

Just remember the priorities:
1. Pull
2. Pull Altitude
3. Pull Stable

Don't dwell on what could go wrong, just pratice in your mind what to do if something does go wrong. Spend time on the ground reviewing your training and safty procedures. Then when you are in the plane let your mind be free and clear. Be confident that you will know what to do if something doesn't go quite right.

On my first jump i was petrified. My instructor told me that in the plane i would be nervous, but as soon as i jumped out the door all the nervousness would turn to pure excitement. He was right. That door isn't the source of fear. It's the gateway to freedom from fear. No matter how nervous you are in the plane, know that once you are out that door you are free!

-----
Love the moment, and the energy of that moment will spread beyond all boundaries. - Corita Kent

Here's a good thread about fear: >>> Clicky <<<.

After some time of reflection and use, I have found Brian's perspective very helpful. It differentiates fear from its precursor arousal. Resultingly, the goal is through conscious intervention to prevent the subconcious from turning arousal into fear. Arousal and fear feel distinctly different. Arousal feels warm, strong, and clear. Fear feels cold, weak, and hazy. I actively 'corral' arousal, and thus prevent it from escaping and turning into fear. It's a very simple and powerful technique, once you are able to distinguish between arousal and fear. I use regular stress mangement methods to accomplish this goal: Concentration, visualization, and controlled breathing.

Cheers