JayCam

First really bad experience

From one student to another, BLESS YOUR HEART! I commend you for having the courage and humility to share this experience. I learned a lot just from reading it. I have yet to do my first solo jump (July 16 if all goes well) and I can't imagine what I would have done in that situation. I suppose we can all surprise ourselves when we get in a pinch like that.

Of course I am in absolutely no position to give any advice, I just wanted to tell you how much I admire you for coming on here with this. Good luck in the future and don't give up!

J

lol for those interested heres a stupid MS Paint diagram of what happened... I later realised it didnt open through my legs but on either side of them which might actually be worse. so body goes through risers but sticking out left arm doesnt... lol the stupid look on my stickman doppelgangers face cracks me up...

J

Let me just say.... Good Job.

You kept your head in a bad situation and you're alive and walking around today because you did. You're asking questions and accepting criticism about what happened and what might have led up to what happened.

Good on ya. :)

I second that!!
Glad you are here to tell us. And I commend you on your fight.

Pull

Pull stable

Pull at the right altiude.

I learned:

Pull

Pull at the right altiude

Pull stable

Stability is the lesser priority than getting something out with enough altitude to matter, right?

We're taught:
Pull
Pull at the correct altitude
Pull preferably stable
Overriding issue is: don't sacrifice altitude for anything. You have time to deal with laundry over your head at 3000'. You don't have time for anything if you only get stable at 500'. And it's not only students who lose altitude awareness when hellbent on trying to sort something out.

This was my first thought on reading the first few responses to the original post. It's been interesting to see what some of the other responses have been. By the way, the more experienced responses (about waiting a bit longer to get stable, etc) might remember that as students we are taught specific ways to deal with things which are not necessarily the same way that more experienced jumpers will. Students often just don't know all the variables involved to actually think through all the possible outcomes/alternatives up there. All that said, well done JayCam, and use those extra dummies to work on that arch. In a thousand jumps' time a couple extra DRCPs won't make much difference!
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

Pull

Pull stable

I learned:

Pull

Pull at the right altiude

Pull stable

Stability is the lesser priority than getting something out with enough altitude to matter, right?

Thats me typing too fast.... :S

You are definatly correct....
Remster

Pull

Pull stable

Urghs. Sure? I learned "Pull" - "Pull at right Altitude" - "Pull stable"

Pull Stable if you can,
Pull at the right Alti even if not stable.
PULL:|
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Its kind of troubling that you laugh when you say my life was probley on the line.

I don't find it troubling. I find it realistic.

Ever heard of the term, "Black Death"

Or heard,
"Get in or go in"?

I would rather he joke about it than freak out.

Whatever he did, he did OK since he is here to tell us about it.

Maybe not perfect, but he lived.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I think in this case, 'mistake' is the wrong word. To survive the first few freefalls takes quite a bit of luck

It does not take luck. It takes skill. You may not have a big bag of skill, but if you do what you were told you will be fine. Luck does not play into it, training, drilling and keeping a cool head does.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Look like metal shower hoses kind of like articulated stainless steel tubes? If thats it then yes it had them.

See: http://www.miragesys.com/ProductInfo/ArmoredRisers.aspx?Prod=2

The tube is hidden inside the risers.

It's a seperate system than the standard hard housings, which are normal for all rigs: http://www.miragesys.com/ProductInfo/HardHousings.aspx?Prod=2

I'd be surprised if student gear fitted with a Manta had them. Mantas are docile and normally won't spin up like a small and fast canopy can, so I don't think a DZ would think they'd need to have them with that type of gear.

So, Now you know why stable pull is important.

B.S.!! >:( ...I'd MUCH RATHER he actually PULLED, than (potentially) have waited the (literal) rest of his life to get STABLE! :S

This kind of "one liner" (although I know you did not mean harm) sends IMHO the wrong message and is wholly irresponsible without some sort of qualification! Consider this (post) that! ;)

I hope too that Gabor, you also can see this, if not also actually agree.

Priorities:

1. Pull
2. Pull at the right altitude
3. Pull stable, and at the right altitude

Not sure on any of them... refer back to #1!

This jumper did RIGHT in that regard. IMHO.

Blues,
-Grant
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

B.S.!!>:( ...I'd MUCH RATHER he actually PULLED, than (potentially) have waited the (literal) rest of his life to get STABLE! :S

Reminds me of one of my friends on their first 5 sec, went unstable, attempted to get stable before pulling, eventually decided to ge for reserve just as the AAD did the job for them. To me the idea of a 10 second canopy ride (or much worse) is far scarier than pulling on my back.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

:)
At times, "LOL" does not mean we do not care or are nonchalant... "LOL" is also a nervous response to a stressfull situation after surviving what could have been fatal. So, I understand why initially you had the "LOL." I know for sure that you just worried a few people. I definitely will learn from your experience and I know for sure that even though you do not want this to happen to you again, you will definitely be a better skydiver because of it. So glad that you are around to post your experience and also read this!! ;)

Good job, JayCam...kept your head and didn't make a bad situation worse....

One thing, though...it appears that you have major gaps in your training....go back and get those instructors to fill you in on more info....read the SIM and BSRs....learn the components of the system you jump...and more.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239