kimmy

Beware Friendly Skydivers...

There is a scam going on targeting skydivers selling gear from the classified section of dropzone.com. Some jackass from Nigeria is offering money for gear, sending you a check way over the price with a very crafty story. They state they have a client who owes them money and will send you a cashiers check and you are to wire the remaining balance to them and they will arrange for the pickup of your gear. Once you realize the check was no good-your beloved is long gone and your screwed. They didn't get me-but they got a friend of mine for $5000.
I did a google search for the guys name and all the search came up with was multiple sites on Nigerian scam artists.
Be Aware
Kimmy

Surely you would wait for the cheque to clear before handing over 5 grands worth of gear to someone you have never met?? These 419 style scams have been around for decades now. If you sell something on Ebay, you wait for the money to show in your account before mailing the goods, why should it be different for $5k worth of rig?

Surely you would wait for the cheque to clear before handing over 5 grands worth of gear to someone you have never met?? These 419 style scams have been around for decades now. If you sell something on Ebay, you wait for the money to show in your account before mailing the goods, why should it be different for $5k worth of rig?

First off i too was someone this scam had been pulled on. Luckily i called the bank that "issued" the check and they told me if was fake. They send a cashiers check so technically you don't have to wait for anything to clear. It's as good as cash till it bounces back to you. Be safe and watch out for these guys. They pull names out of no where and always have a client in the states that owes them money. They will never collect the gear. They just send you a check for more than you are selling gear for and ask you to wire them the balance. That is where they make their money. Good luck to everyone.

Patrick

These types of scams have been around for a few years. I am sorry to say but if someone is that stupid to take a check, then send a rig or whatever over seas before the check clears they deserve what they get.

If it seems too good to be true, it is.

Tim

These types of scams have been around for a few years. I am sorry to say but if someone is that stupid to take a check, then send a rig or whatever over seas before the check clears they deserve what they get.

If it seems too good to be true, it is.

Tim

Thats the thing. Its a cashiers check, which someone already said are as good as cash. Normally, you can only get a cashiers check directly from a bank, hence, its certified. Unless of course its fake.

.-.

This wasn't a scam, just an oops, the buyer didn't know it, but those checks credit card companies send are not accepted by some banks. Went to cash the check, and the back declined it, ended up having to have the buyer send the money threw paypal. [:/]
Fly it like you stole it!

Sellers in the UK should also be aware that a bankers draft is NOT as good as cash - friend of mine sold a jetski on bankers draft and it came back that the draft was stolen and he lost the lot. wait for it to clear like a normal check.

(Good news though they caught the guy - it wasn't just stolen bankers drafts he was into....:S)
Never try to eat more than you can lift

My condolensces to your friend. That totally sucks. >:(

You don't get mycondolences, your mate is a bit thick.
That scams been around for years.
"If they TRUST you to send the money back to them them you KNOW somthing is amiss:D:D:D
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

These scams have been arround for years and have ooodles of variations but they always work the same way. You get a large sum into your account and repay to the con artist the ballance. It'll often show up on day one - so you send out the cheque, but then on day 3 it's dissapeared from your account. Cos by then the bank's worked out the money order is fake.

Sometimes it's "I'm trying to get my money out of this oppressive regime - will you help" or sometimes its "I need a western account to cash my inherritance" - Then you get a cut of the money just for helping. There is also the purchase variation where they overpay for goods. At least you get to keep the goods cos they have absolutely no interest in what they're buying - they just want the ballance you pay them.

Where it's just a stolen money order for the goods its a little different - there are no red lights to tell you it's a scam.

Anyone who falls for one of these "nigerian" scam's is so dumb they are beyond help. They would have just fallen for some other confidence trickster or ended up wandering out into the street and taken out. I have very little patience with people this stupid. Please people think before you send money out.

When I got my "check" I studied the fed-ex. The sender of the check put that the origen of the Fed-ex was from Maryland, but the origen station ID was from Laos Nigeria. The guy even went so far as to call me to make sure I was wiring the money out. Of course I would not send off my canopy without cash in hand-but we are also on a site where most people think they are among friends so some people my have their guards down.
(Still looking to sell my Sabre 135-brand new lines)!!

You'll find these scams anywhere you advertise online. When I advertised my old car on autotrader.com & cars.com, I read up about common scams. (http://www.cars.com/carsapp/national?srv=parser&act=display&tf=/advice/shopping/howtosell/sell_beware.tmpl) Sure enough, I got two offers that were attempted scams - but I knew right away.

Working in the mail order business, I've seen lots of attempted scams. Most orders coming from Indonesia or Nigeria, for large quantities are BS. Just be careful and ask a lot of questions. If anything doesn't seem right, then question it. Anytime someone is willing to give a stranger a large amount of money for something - more than the asking price - a red flag should go up. Anytime someone is willing to pay a large amount of money for something - no questions asked - there should be red flags too.

Online selling makes things easy, but it opens up so many doors to scammers. [:/]

There are lots of sites that can help you research scams. Here is one: http://www.scambusters.org/

Maybe it would be good idea for HH to post some info about common scans as part of the ad placement for people selling gear - like they do on car sites. Might help save a few people some trouble.

A friend was selling his car and some one from the U.A.E. wanted to wire the money and then some for the car and have us send the difference back. It's a classic scam. Be careful out there.

Big Ed

Oh Lordy, it's the Nigerian Scam with a new twist! BEWARE~!~
I work for a state agency that has been dealing with the sad stories of folks who have been hookwinked by the Nigerian (alleged royal gems and money) scam and the Canadian Lottery scam for years!
PLEASE, do not respond to any of these ads. You'll never see your money again. Ever.
Attitude is everything!

Well now, some folks are stupid, but some are just undereducated, elderly possibly (and they grew up with a different set of ethics), and/or are too trusting (which may be viewed as stupid).
The ones that think they are getting something for nothing, are working an angle for themselves, I don't have any pity for their loss. I do feel badly for the others.
It appears we now have scammers surfing our sites and what was once a skydivers' small world has been opened up to the creeps and the scum buckets. And for that, we have to be wary of each other. Sad.

I've done three business deals through dz.com, all with personal checks, two honoring mine and shipping the canopies in advance of receiving my personal check. Guess we'll all think twice about that sort of transaction now...
Attitude is everything!

Here is an email that I got:

Hello,
How you today? ,thanks for getting back to me i also got the informations and the picture of the rig and,like i said earlier i am presently in the Africa .there won't be any probs about the shipment,after payment ,the pick
up will be made at your place. i have made arrangements with the prepaid shipping company.
As regards payment,this is what i am going to do. I have a client in the U S who is owing me $3,700 i would instruct him to
makeout a certified check to you in that amount and as soon as it clears your bank. you can now deduct your money from it and send me my balance via western union ,i
will be using part of the money to pay for the shipping and other expenses ..Although the value of the check is more than the asking price but i think i should be able to trust you with my balance.
So if my terms are acceptable to you,i would like you to give me your full name,address and phone number so that i can instruct my client to make out the check to you.
Pls get back to me as soon as you get this mail so that we can round things up in a timely fashion.
Thanks in this regard

-----------------------------------------------------------

What do you guys think?

Here is an email that I got:

Hello,
How you today? ,thanks for getting back to me i also got the informations and the picture of the rig and,like i said earlier i am presently in the Africa .there won't be any probs about the shipment,after payment ,the pick
up will be made at your place. i have made arrangements with the prepaid shipping company.
As regards payment,this is what i am going to do. I have a client in the U S who is owing me $3,700 i would instruct him to
makeout a certified check to you in that amount and as soon as it clears your bank. you can now deduct your money from it and send me my balance via western union ,i
will be using part of the money to pay for the shipping and other expenses ..Although the value of the check is more than the asking price but i think i should be able to trust you with my balance.
So if my terms are acceptable to you,i would like you to give me your full name,address and phone number so that i can instruct my client to make out the check to you.
Pls get back to me as soon as you get this mail so that we can round things up in a timely fashion.
Thanks in this regard

-----------------------------------------------------------

What do you guys think?

I wouldn't touch western union with a pole of unlimited length, its the choice of payment by scammers (untraceable).

If you have any doubts, why bother? Just say "no, send me a personal cheque", if they can't do that then they are scammers, who has $4K but no chequeing account?

BOOM Headshot

String him on with a story - tell him you've just had a business trip come up and you'll be able to deliver the money in cash if he likes. Seeing as you'll be passing through Lagos Airport he can meet you at the airport and you'll hand over the cash there and then.

Only thing is you'll need a picture of him so you can find him in the arrivals lounge - it needs to be specific as you only have a short stop over before your connecting flight.

Tell him to send a picture of him holding a sign with your firms name so you'll recognize him quickly. Your firms name is of course something like "phillmy krakin" or "Skydiving Rocks" or whatever you can come up with.

Eager for your money the scammer will send a photo of himself holding said card. You can print out this photograph and laugh whenever you're having a hard day. You can even post it here for us to laugh at too.

If you need supporting documents to assist you scam your would be scammer you can visit www.419eater.com and get some of their fake Lagos tickets you can fax your scammer as proof of your intended visit. There's a whole wealth of support there.

Play with them, mess with their head, drive them mad - remember, all the time they're trying to get somewhere with you they're not spending time getting money out of little old ladies. But remember, only go down this route if you're sure they're not going to be able to trace you from the info they already have from you.