sidewalk

AAD research

I have started this project in electronics, and you have to choose a device to study. I choose a AAD because i wanted to know how they worked and the history of them but i cannot find anything about when they first came out and wat they were like. But have heard they were big and rubbish so if anyone knows of sites with the history or any other useful info then it wound be very helpful to me thank you in advance. I want to keep it general and not focus on one main company except who was the first to make them. pictures wound be gud too thanks again.

Weren't most pre-Cypres AADs mechanical devices?

You mean like, people's hands? :P

Edited to try add some value rather than just flippant remarks...
http://www.cypres.cc/Sites/englisch/Background_History.htm

http://www.parachutehistory.com/process/activation/sentinel.html

http://www.parachutehistory.com/process/activation/hitek.html
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

The Kap-3 (the Russian AOD) was purely mechanical. You'd wind it up with something that looked like a skate key (LOL, if anyone remembers what a skate key is) and just before exit turn it on and it would begin a countdown. I believe these were used mostly on mains . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

I believe the AR2 is mechanical/electrical, i'd givce a more certain answer but i'm a little too hungover to think straight right now sorry:P.

I know there's a few other MFF guys on here that could confirm that one.
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

I'm on the road so I don't have mine in front of me, but Poynter's Parachute Manual would be a great place to start. I have the original black cover Vol I, the updated blue cover Vol I, and Vol II.

PM me your contact info and I'll look in them when I return home.
Arrive Safely

John

The first AADs were built for ejectionseats back in the 1950s.
Like the KAP-3, they were static-lined to the seat and fired X number of seconds after falling through a pre-set altitude (i.e. 15,000' specified by the Canadian Air Force).
The first civilian AADs were merely ejection-seat surplus units (i.e. KAP-3) and Western military copies (Irvin Hitefinder, etc.) built for military freefallers. The greatest disadvantage of first-generation AADs was that they fired on every jump, ergo were only installed on mains. A few civilian schools (i.e. Gananoque, Ontario) installed them on student mains.
The first generation of AADs for the civilian market incorporated a major improvement: rate of descent sensors. ROD sensors prevented AADs from firing if they descended slowly. The simplest ROD sensors are the metered orifices installed in FXC 12000s.
Electronic AADs (i.e. Sentinel, Cypres and all modern AADs) use pressure transducers and computers that compare altitude to time to determine rate of descent.