nate_1979

WHITE is my new favorite color! ...

[Also, a reserve wont have the d-bag / pilot chute behind it...

but neither does a canopy that's been deployed by SL.

Yup and neither do CReW canopies.

I once deployed my new Lightning 126 at 12k, solo, since I had to prove I could land it I had to do a pre-declared jump/landing on it, and I was damn well going to make sure (there was no wind and a bit of thermal turbulence too) so I flew it around for a bit doing practice flares and stuff.
There was an accuracy competition going on at the landing field and when I finally landed (perfectly I might add LOL) a lot of people came over worried, thinking I was a belly flier and had had my reserve deployed out of the door! This canopy is red white and blue! LOL

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Good job on your cut away!!:)

Only thing that sitnks is that I just had it repacked 15 days ago, the pack job only had 5 jumps on it

My last cutaway was the same day I got my rig back from a repack.>:( San Diego's riggers are making a killing off of me.

Where are you jumping this weekend? We gotta finnish that six way.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Where are you jumping this weekend? We gotta finnish that six way.

Jumping at Elsinore on Sat. ... Not decided yet for Sunday, Skydive San Diego? If I'm at SD we can definately try that six way again :ph34r:

FGF #???
I miss the sky...
There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary and those who don't.

I had been thinking all week we need to get that six way done... Can I chase this time??? hehehehe KIDDING!!!!

Good job sunday Bro... BTW How was that rental gear ??? ha!!! See ya sunday!!!

Oh yeah uhhhhhh emmmmmmmmm I am looking for a word here.... *thinking* OH!! YEAH!!! B E E R ! !

"Uh oh! This is gonna hurt!"

Hey Nate, I was going to Elsinore tomorrow also. I'll see you there. Maybe we'll catch up with SD on Sunday?

UGG!! >:(>:(>:( I'm SO mad!

I'm getting ready to deploy this upcoming week, and my command just grounded my skydiving until the deployment is over :( I wont be able to jump this weekend, I was really looking forward to it... Just waisted my money on that reserve repack >:( I will still be at Elsinore this saturday to hang out, so hopefully see some of you all there.. You think the pilots at Elsinore will let me fly with them for a couple of jumpruns? :D I gotta get up! It's gonna just suck to watch people all weekend B|

FGF #???
I miss the sky...
There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary and those who don't.

Well,.... I get to revive an old thread of mine :ph34r:

I just had my SECOND damn reserve ride :| This makes 4 malfunctions, and 2 reserve rides in less than 100 jumps, , bit worse than the average I believe. Good thing is that I did everything as practiced, it wasnt really a big issue because unlike my last mal I wasnt spinning on my back or anything, ..

This clearly destroys my plans of doing my naked 100th skydive at Elsinore tomorrow, ... ohh well.. Mabey next week :ph34r:

I had a stepthrough, I really have no idea HOW I get this into my pack job, I remember when I packed this one I thought it was the cleanest pack job I have made to date, but.. yup... here I am writing that it didnt work. I can only guess that I must have flipped the bag somehow after I had the canopy in it, while walking it to the bottom of the container to stow the risers? I dunno... Lost my stupid freebag too.. :(

Anyway, YES I CHOPPED A STEP THROUGH, I really dont wanna hear any more about how I probably could have landed it, so please dont say it. :P

And yes, today white is my favorite color again.. That PDR-193 also flew like a champ, again.. I love that reserve canopy, will never fly anything but PD reserves, dont need to try anything else. Thanks PD ;)

FGF #???
I miss the sky...

Anyway, YES I CHOPPED A STEP THROUGH, I really dont wanna hear any more about how I probably could have landed it, so please dont say it. :P

Glad it worked out well for you. As has been said here (and to me, in person) "you were the one under that canopy - you're the only one who knows whether you can land it or not." You have to make the best decision for you based on the available information at the time..

I packed myself a step-through on my Spectre 230 on jump 60-something and chose to land it. It met my controllability checks, and it ended up being a beautiful landing, but I definitely thought "I hope I'm making the right decision" all the way to the ground. Just to prove that there's always someone who will question your decision, I heard "You LANDED a step-through?" from a few folks (though most agreed that on a large, docile canopy like mine, a step-through's not a big deal to land as long as you stick with gentle inputs (which I did).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

> probably
As soon as you say that it's time for plan B. Good decision.

You'd feel pretty stupid if you hurt yourself landing a screwed up main lying on the ground in agony with another canopy unused unopend on your back!

Blue dreams, Benno

Ok, well im not gonna tell you you could have landed it or anything as said before. ;) But, this makes me curious because I know several people who have landed a step through and made it sound like no big deal. The risers should just be twisted shouldn't they? Was it flying ok? Just wondering...

Thanks!

--I don't even know enough to know that I dont know--

I did fly it for a bit, turned it to fly towards the DZ, then just felt that the canopy just didnt feel right... I just didnt have a "warm fuzzy" so I chopped it... Could I have landed it, probably, but I just didnt feel good at the time about taking that "probable" chance.. No more jumps this weekend, but atleast I know I can jump next weekend :ph34r:

FGF #???
I miss the sky...

A newbie question... how do you know if someone else is under reserve, if it just looks like a normal canopy?

A couple things:

As you look around, you may see the cut-away main still floating down...

Also, a reserve wont have the d-bag / pilot chute behind it...

Well, that's a good point, you do get mostly white reserves. Another good indicator it's a reserve would be that it's incredibly clean and pure white. Well, I hope it would be! Never seen my reserve (it's got one jump on it) but I hope it isn't covered in dirt! Oh yeah, and if you're close enough see if the jumper has any handles in their teeth :P

--------------------------------------------------

'Everybody needs a mate called Dave'

I had a stepthrough, I really have no idea HOW I get this into my pack job, I remember when I packed this one I thought it was the cleanest pack job I have made to date, ]

Sorry about you losing your freebag. I've had one self induced malfunction, a packing error when I was in a hurry and got lazy.

I don't know what type of packing you do, flat or pro or whatever, but I would check my lines a little more carefully before each pack job. Run the steering lines at least once or twice, just to be sure. Have a rigger show, or re-show, you how. Should be bullet proof if you do it right.

Good choice Nate....I know instructors that use to say...

If you feel there is something wrong with the main...CHOP IT!
...even if you just don't like the color.;)

When in doubt~whip it out!

Oh............BEER!

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~