JoeBobinNC

Bad Day; AFF Cat B

Well, I failed AFF Cat B for the 3rd time today. I am very fustrated with my performance , to say the least.

I am totally unaware of my leg position during the skydive, and this affects my performance during the rest of the jump.

My instructors suggest that for my next skydive we cocentrate only on leg position and PRCPS to get me more comfortable in the air again before trying to move on. I also think alot of time on the creepers practicing a good arch with proper leg position would help as well.

How does this plan sound to some of you more experienced jumpers, is there anything else I should be cocentrating on?

It doesn't matter if a cat is black or white, as long as it catches mice.

I had leg awareness problems for my first 10 or 15 jumps as well. What helped me the most was doing some toe taps during a dive. It's easy to become frustrated with your performance, especially at this early stage, but try not to sweat it too much. As long as you land safe and are smilin' it's all good. Just relax and enjoy the dive.

Brisco

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

Try this, got a full length mirror at your place? Can get get a mirror you can see your body in and put it on the floor?

Get infront of the mirror, hit your arch and look at your legs. Are the toes in the "wind"? Are your feet even? How about your thighs?

You can do leg drills by using a couch too, get infront of it, on the ground, hit an arch, with your toes even, legs even, etc pressing on the couch.

You could always go hit up a tunnel on leave sometime.;)B|
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Man, all I gotta say is don't get too hard on yourself. Just keep doing it, listen to your instructors. It will all come. I'm still working on getting my exits down, particularly my hop-n-pops. I've down like 15 of them now, I'm happy if I don't flip over and well, just don't get too frustrated. The more you have fun and relax, the better it will get.

Blue skies

Never go to a DZ strip show.

Don't let it get you down - my instructor told me that this is by far the most common student mistake.

I certainly had the problem. What I was doing was putting my legs in the correct position, the moving on to think about other things and my legs would drift back up.

Today, on that theme, I was so focused on a new exit for my first coach jump that I forgot to arch properly and tumbled. No big thing - just another excuse to jump :)
Blue Skies
John

Hi Joe
Your Instructor is right. Poor leg position is the most common problem that students have.
Learning to have a good "relaxed arch" and point the toes what you want during the jump. Legs out too much is sometimes better than having them on your butt. Having them out too much may make you fly flat and a simple arch signal from your Instructor will help your legs into the correct position, just keep the toes pointed as you arch.
Doing another jump and working on legs out and PRCD's "without" the instructor releasing you may give you some self confidence and relieve some of the pressure of being released until you are aware of what your legs are doing, then you can move on to the release jumps and feel much better.
Another thing is dont think that everyone passes through the AFF course with no problems. Your not the 1st and surely wont be last.
You'll get it, dont give up.

Be safe.
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

You can do leg drills by using a couch too, get infront of it, on the ground, hit an arch, with your toes even, legs even, etc pressing on the couch.

That's my line! A lot of times a student will be a "spinner" due to lack of leg awareness.

This "homework" really seems to help:

Put a pillow on the ground in front of the couch. (So your hips don't hurt too much) Arch with your legs at a 45 degree angle and resting on the couch. Point your toes. Apply pressure to the couch (imagining that it is really 120mph wind). If you don't assert that pressure, that couch.... I mean that wind will have a field day with your legs. Keep applying the pressure. Apply more. Apply less. Get in tune with the legs behind you. If you practice on the ground, you'll remember they are back there next time you are in the air.

Have fun! That's what your up there for, right? You'll be flying solo in no time. For now, enjoy the company. Smile at the folks you are hanging out with up there, and have a blast!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

What helped some of my mates when they were doing their short RAPS delays was not wearing any socks so their ankles were bare. This meant they were more aware of where their ankles were and hence what their legs were doing?

Of course, speak to your instructors about anything you read on here before actually doing it in the air.

I have been using that couch drill to help me with control. It works. I have a better arch and am actually aware of my legs in freefall. No longer am I the floaty little one when doing RW. . .

The couch drill and the creeper drill are great for working on the legs. . .The more aware the easier it is to fly stable. . .
FGF #6
Darcy