DanglesOZQld

LET 410 - Bye bye from Australia

Lost our jumpship of some 5+ yrs this week, not getting enough people through for the two pilots, engineer and o/s rego costs. Bloody sad to see her go. Nothing like sitting on real seats and STANDING up and walking to the door before exiting ;)

BSBD! -Mark.

"A Scar is just a Tattoo with a story!!!"

That sucks. My home DZ let its LET go two years ago and invested in a second Grand Caravan instead. That was due to the same costs you mentioned, plus as it was an ageing airframe our CAA was taking an increasing amount of time to certify it every year. I miss the door and the bench seats, hey but at least we arre left with two turbines 364 days of the year.

let's are really nice planes for jumpers of all kinds - but a horror for those who own or operate them. to sad that you aren't enough at your dz to keep them [:/]

i wonder how long it takes for them to become xtinct for the very same reasons at the places i jump (slovakia & chech republic)
The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666

Some countries really suck when it comes to letting GOOD aircraft operate in their airspace. Apart from those types of aircraft used at the moment for jumping there is an equal amount of BETTER planes around that cant be used due to some piece of red tape or another. Yes aircraft need to be screened and go through stages to ensure quality and integrity but they let aircraft like the nomad go on the aussie register lol!!

BSBD! -Mark.

All I have to say is: mmmmmmmmmmmmm........Turbolet. Fantastic planes, we had one at my DZ a few years back. Didn't get much of a chance to jump it as I was a student at the time, but the few occasions I did stand up straight in the door and let myself tumble have left good memories. Might have to nip down to one of the other DZs in this country that have them.

Nick
---------------------------
"I've pierced my foot on a spike!!!"

It was able to have 19 jumpers on board as well as two pilots as there were spr's on the floor at the front and rear of the plane. A load of 9 tandems and 1 outside camera was still better than 7 tandems on the caravan!!

BSBD! -Mark.

Wow! It looks like an Otter on steroids :D

Edited: Hey, I see it only had 18 seats. That would make it smaller than a Otter.

I'd be sad to see it go too.

Cheers

A LET 410 is actually bigger than an otter. I have been in a (Super) Let with 25 skydivers before. In the UK we put a maximum of 16 skydivers in a Let so the ride to altitude is very comfortable and very fast! :)
Vicki

let's are really nice planes for jumpers of all kinds - but a horror for those who own or operate them. to sad that you aren't enough at your dz to keep them [:/]

Can you please explain why they are a horror to operate? Do they need 2 pilots? Maintenance?

The LET 410's I have jumped have been great, I prefer it over a Twin Otter.

Jacques

Ours was the only one in Australia used for jumping and it required by CASA law two pilots in order to have it fly. 1)You needed an overseas instructor to certify every new pilot for the bird. 2)We had problems getting it onto the Aussie register and thus had to have it done offshore - VERY EXPENSIVE.
3)2 turbines, 19 people...... 4)Our workload is now less than a while back when we first got the bird and we cannot use it enough at the present time for it to be financially viable.

Always said that if there was a really good 10 seat plane this would suit us Aussies more.

-BSBD! -Mark.

Always said that if there was a really good 10 seat plane this would suit us Aussies more.

Does the Cresco not count? I've not jumped it, so can't comment...

...JohnnyMac's Turbine Beaver is pretty good, but'd probably be horribly cramped for tandems.

Looks like a Soviet copy of an Otter with the added complexity of retractable gear. I don't see the advantage, but we have a lot of Otters up here. I think it's 21 jumpers for the Otter, right? Ed?

If you're going to take on the retractable gear thing, I really like the KingAir. You lose the giant door, but you get to altitude faster.

I haven't enjoyed my time so far in the 750, but I didn't like jail at first either.

:ph34r:

The let was a Czec plane I think. The Russians rutinely stick 22/23 people on board. I know of them being run with 24. They climb slowly at that loading though.

In the UK its limited I think to 17 or 18 and that's with a portion of the cabin taken up with a toilet/cupboards. They then climb like hot shit off a shiny shovel.

I've seen them flown with either 2 pilots or only 1... I don't know if this is dependant on the pilot's paperwork or the planes though...