aftermid

AFF level(s) you had to repeat?

i repeated 6 because i had a good freefall and then a deployment and landing disaster.
the repeat went very well... even after i almost chickened out in the plane. :) learned a LOT.

then i had to repeat 7 just because it took me too long and i didn't make it through the dive flow. on exit my instructor somehow ended up all the way across the sky from me... and i just waited like a total yoda for him to fly back over before i started doing what i needed to. didn't get to track before pull time, so they made me do 7, take 2.

was mortified at repeating levels for a while. then i realized that i really was learning, and it really was okay, and the whole point was to have fun and get better and walk away... which was happening.
life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all.
(helen keller)

I repeated all of the levels. Of course, I was the instructor :P

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

No repeats here.B| However I have tried the dive 100 feet to dock with an instructor for my A card three times now without getting it. Good thing coached jumps aren't as expensive as AFF:)
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, th

Look at this, everybody understands the whole 1-7 definitions and are replying in kind. I don't know anyone (this note might change that) that likes the other nomenclature (A, B, D2, whatever).

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

My concern with this and several similar threads is this constant fixation I see here with students thinking they “failed” an AFF level. I wish to hell students would stop thinking in terms of “success” or “failure” on their training jumps. Training is just that – training, a learning process. With the possible exception of a license check dive (and maybe even not there, either), there is no “failure” in a student jump, unless you femur or bounce or hurt or endanger someone else. “I was devastated...”; “I was mortified...”; “I failed AFF-4!!!”. Sorry, but that’s not the right mentality. You don’t “fail” a student training jump, you simply did not achieve all the goals you had set for that jump. But you’re still jumping; you’re still learning; you’re still getting experience being in that new medium – the sky. Different people take different amounts of time to train for anything new. This is the greatest time of your life. Enjoy it!

Look at this, everybody understands the whole 1-7 definitions and are replying in kind. I don't know anyone (this note might change that) that likes the other nomenclature (A, B, D2, whatever).

Care to explain that to an uninformed alien for the other side of the pond? :$

Thx a lot :)

dudeist skydiver # 3105

I repeated my instability/back to stable jump (#?). Did the backloop and got stuck on my back. Finally turned on my belly. Started spinning fast and couldn't stop. My AFF I had to grab me so I could pull. I got a bit scared I couldn't do one properly.

My repeat jump went smooth as silk. Learned more doing the two jumps and it made me a safer jumper. Now if I have any free time left at the end of the jump, I do a backloop because they became fun.

Every jump is a learning opportunity. Something learned is a successful jump.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Care to explain that to an uninformed alien for the other side of the pond? :$

Thx a lot :)

The ISP. Basically Category A = L1, Cat. B = L2, Cat. C1 = L3 release dive, 2 instructors, Cat. C2 = L4 release dive with 1 instructor, Cat. D1 = L5 90 deg. turns, Cat. D2 = L6 360 deg turns, Cat. E1 = L7, sit fly exit & acro, Cat. E2 = L8 AFF grad jump. This is the ISP as it pertains to Skydive Elsinore. B|
Other programs use 7 levels.

My concern with this and several similar threads is this constant fixation I see here with students thinking they “failed” an AFF level. I wish to hell students would stop thinking in terms of “success” or “failure” on their training jumps. Training is just that – training, a learning process. With the possible exception of a license check dive (and maybe even not there, either), there is no “failure” in a student jump, unless you femur or bounce or hurt or endanger someone else. “I was devastated...”; “I was mortified...”; “I failed AFF-4!!!”. Sorry, but that’s not the right mentality. You don’t “fail” a student training jump, you simply did not achieve all the goals you had set for that jump. But you’re still jumping; you’re still learning; you’re still getting experience being in that new medium – the sky. Different people take different amounts of time to train for anything new. This is the greatest time of your life. Enjoy it!

So what do you call it when you have to do the 9th grade all over again because you couldn't make the grades? You're still learning, right? :P I understand what you're trying to say, but lets face it...certain objectives were attempted and were not attained. How is that not failure? Look the word up. You don't just have to die or get hurt to fail. Then he/she has to pay $165 again to get it right and that is what makes a student feel more like a failure. Get it? At least for me last Friday failing level 3. :DI failed! Okay I said it. No fight, just my .02

well... level 2 is coming up sat. but i hope like hell i do not fail (not make my objectives). If i do i wont be devistated, just pissed off and I will go home and drink. then again if i do pass im going home and haveing a few drinks. :)

ExPeCt ThE uNeXpEcTeD!
DoNt MiNd ThE tYpOs, Im LaZy On CoRrEcTiOnS!

I did AFP (15 levels) and I had to redo levels 4, 8 and 10. But I agree with Andy9o8 that students are way too concerned about failing. I put sooooo much pressure on myself, it made it 100x worse! Once I started relaxing and just HAVING FUN, I did great and cranked thru 5 levels in 1 day.

And to the comment about repeating 9th grade -- Ok, 9th grade is 9 months long. On a student skydive you are trying a skill for the first time and you have about 30 seconds to get it right. Thats not exactly the same thing! ;) When you were learning how to ride a bike, did you have it all figured out after 30 seconds? I doubt it. It takes time to learn! Don't sweat the repeats! :)
"At 13,000 feet nothing else matters."
PFRX!!!!!
Team Funnel #174, Sunshine kisspass #109
My Jump Site

No repeats on AFF

On an ISP coaching jump there was an instance where the last time I saw the instructor was on exit and later on the ground. :| At least it was fun looking for him. :D;)

JC

If you woke up breathing, congratulations!
You get another chance.

...certain objectives were attempted and were not attained. How is that not failure? Look the word up.

I’m not going to argue semantics. This isn’t about semantics, it’s about attitude. I can’t force you to have a positive attitude, any more than I can force you to listen to someone else’s experience; you have to want it. I can tell you that attitude often defines the playing field, and negativity is very infectious.

I totally agree repeating level IV wasn't a failure in the least. I found that I stayed remarkablly calm, focused, and altitude aware while spinning more or less out of control at 120mph. I remembered to arch my ass off and the spinning stopped. The next jumped I did a toe tap to make sure my legs/knees were square and everything went well.

I was more trying to reflect that 50 jumps and thousands of $$$$ later, the $180 it cost to work that out has long been forgotten.

I'm by no means a seasoned skydiver but it's important to remind new students and potential students that repeating levels of AFF is just a part of AFF. Skydiving is an expensive sport, especially in the beginning, as a student I felt like a cash machine a lot of the time. Now as a liscensed skydiver with my own gear it is an extreamly affordable, exciting, and rewarding pasttime.