Superman32

Time off and canopies

There is another thread about taking time off and now I'm wondering what to do about canopy size.

Let's say a novice skydiver does about 100 jumps within the first year and downsizes his/her canopy to a WL of about 1.2:1 but then is forced to take a couple of years off. Should this skydiver upsize the canopy upon returning, or is it like riding a bike, where it becomes ingrained in your mid and you just don't forget how to fly it.
Remember, I'm not taking about really high WL or radical HP canopies.
Inveniam Viam aut Faciam
I'm back biatches!

How firmiliar can you really be with a canopy in your first 100 jumps? A 1.2 loading on a Sabre2 is classified as advanced, after taking a few years off and only having 100 jumps would you classify a jumper as an advanced jumper or something more like intermediate or novice again?

After taking that much time off most DZ's have you go through the full ground school again and most are more then willing to rent you gear for a jump or two until you get back into the swing of things.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

chill out dude,

There was no mention of ANY details in this super-hypothetical situation. What if that person was jumping a Triathalon or a Spectre in the 230 range? 1.2 is hardly an "advanced" loading in the real world at that size. In general 1.2 is not particularly dangerous unless you are completely inept.
________________________________________________________________________________
when in doubt... hook it!

Hopefully you've developed some judgment by 100 jumps. You may not be "experienced" yet, but you're hardly a rank beginner, either. Even with 2 years off, you should be able to do your own gut check on whether you need that student canopy for 1 or 2 recurrency jumps, or can jump your own canopy right away, starting off conservatively of course.

>1.2 is hardly an "advanced" loading in the real world at that size.

There's this perception that while 1.2 used to be a dangerously high loading, the air has changed, and nowadays it's fine for a newer jumper to jump it. Well, the air really hasn't changed. What _has_ changed is that many people are making more jumps in a shorter period of time, and often that lets you get away with jumping a smaller than reasonable canopy, because currency helps you get away with the higher loading.

But take away that currency, and you're back to 1.2 being a dangerous loading at 100 jumps.

Slight tangent, but when you go to canopy manufacture websites, they have guidelines for the canopy sizes for Novice, Intermediate, Advanced and Expert. I have 78 jumps and have a Sabre2-150 loaded at 1.05, so what kind of wingloading is that supposed to be? Intermediate?

Should this skydiver upsize the canopy upon returning, or is it like riding a bike, where it becomes ingrained in your mid and you just don't forget how to fly it.

Upsize. If you haven't been on a bike for 2 years, would you get right back into busy traffic on an unstable bike while wearing headphones? I wouldn't.

Your comfort zone has moved with lack of practice. Make sure your skydiving is in the center of it, not at the edge. It's surprising the little things that, while you don't forget them, are no longer second nature, and that you have to actually think about rather than just processing them automatically.

Been there, done that.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I think even 1.1 wingloading is aggressive.

...Except that I've jumped 68 times in less than 3 months. I'm still a relative newbie, but you have less and you jumped a 1.2?

Rent for a while? :D
Okay that's a 100 jump wonder speaking. (And I'm not, so take me with a grain of salt.)

I'm still a relative newbie, but you have less and you jumped a 1.2?

Rent for a while?
Okay that's a 100 jump wonder speaking. (And I'm not, so take me with a grain of salt.)

That was an entirely hypothetical question. I'm still at the fetus stage when it comes to skydiving and I do not jump a 1.2 or 1.1 (still below a 1.0)
Besides it would be hard to be a 100 jump wonder with only 40 jumps :S
Inveniam Viam aut Faciam
I'm back biatches!

"I'm still at the fetus stage"

Oh my god the visions of a flying fetus!! ;)

But seriously take it easy coming back into things after a longish layoff and talk to your instructors at the dropzone you most jump at. Nothing like some personal advice from someone who knows you better than at the other end of an online forum!! ;)

BSBD! -Mark.

"A Scar is just a Tattoo with a story!!!"

This very same situation just happened to me. I was away about 5 years. I just went through the Scott Miller canopy courses and found it very educational. It's the best way; either find a canopy courses near you or find someone who can really re-explain teach the landing. Myself I had down sized and went to a new canopy when returning, I was having a little trouble getting the hang of it again but Scott really straighted me out in the first hour after that it was just learning, appling and having fun. And it all would depend on the person's expereince before the lay off. Anyway I would recommend Scott's course for anyone, at any time but especially for someone new or returning to from a lay off. He is a great insrtuctor.
johnnyboy