Skolem45

Jumping with contacts

So a couple of jumps ago, on exit, one of my contacts pops out! Thought that was weird, but didn't pay it much attention. Then the next jump, at the same moment, the contact comes out again from the same eye. That got me kind of apprehensive, since if both of them came out, I would be in a really nasty spot - can't see much without them.

Now I think I know what the problem was - I had loosened my goggle strap a few days before, to the point that it would sit in place, but not really push into my skin. I tightened it back again, so that now it's quite snug, and hopefully that should do it - I've been jumping with these gogles for a while before with no problems.

But that got me thinking - how often does that happen? Should I be using different goggles? One recommendation that I got was to tape the little vent holes, but that would probably make them fog up pretty quick, and that would kind of suck too...

Ideas? Comments?

I have never had a problem with my contacts... I wear FlexZ goggles or Gatorz depending on the jump. Maybe you are just not blinking enough to keep them moist since you are stressed during the jump. :P Put in a couple drops of rewetting solution before you head to the plane.

I do keep my goggles very tight but my Gatorz allow a lot of air in and I still never have a problem.

My $0.02.
________________________________________________________________________________
when in doubt... hook it!

There are some threads in gear and rigging on this - do a search. I also wear contacts and jump with the very basic flexvision (? i think that's what they're called) goggles and they work fine - but i do tighten them up fully before every exit. (I loosen them slightly once under canopy, but not much - in case i need to do EPs)
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

I wear contacts, and I have had one come out many times, and both come out at least once. I seem to have the best luck with the cheapest plastic goggles, like FlexZ or Kroops. I've tried cooler looking, more comfortable, more expensive models, and they don't seem to work as well with respect to keeping my contacts in.

However, I've never tried rewetting my eyes before exit; that may be helpful.

For Great Deals on Gear

I wear contacts, and have lost them on jumps quite a few times. My vision isn't too bad, so it isn't a safety problem, more an annoyance. I've tried several different types of goggles, and recently had to switch yet again because I lost a couple contacts trying to fly head down in them. It basically just comes down to how tight they are around your face and the direction of the relative wind.

Luckily, the lost contacts are usually just stuck to the inside of the goggle, so they're not lost forever.

Sometime during your skydiving career you may want to give full-face helmets a shot.

I wear contacts and have not had any trouble with my full-face, a Z-1. Not much air gets in, so my eyes don't dry out, and my visor has always stayed put. (I've had the Z-1 for probably about the last 500-600 jumps)

I still should do a ride-along in the plane one day without my contacts in...just to see how well (or not well) I can see from various altitudes. I'm pretty blind. (My contacts are -8.5 and -7.5.) :S

I'd be hesitant to jump an Oxygen because I've seen too many Oxygen visors fly off in freefall.

Even if one can find his contacts inside goggles or visor he can't use it anyway. Contacts should not stay without any moisture for the long (more than 10 sec) time.

I wear contacts but had never loose one in freefall even when my full-face sudenly flipped visor up.
Just raise you head so that wind will not blow contacts.

After trying many brands of goggles, I'm with FlexZs now. Just keep them tight ;)
Also, a couple of years ago I switched to disposable contacts (Focus Dailies by Cibavision) and never looked back B|. Better for your eyes (no disinfecting, protein removal needed) and not big $$$ if you loose one :P

So this was useful. Sounds like the thing to do is: have the goggles really tight + use eyedrops to rewet the eyes before the jump. Also sounds like the majority of recommendations are for the FlexZ goggles.

Also, found a few related older posts for those that may be interested, particularly http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=664621 and http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=123432.

Thanks! :)

I have heard of that happening before.... I wear contacts as well and have never had the prob before, and have done many hop and pops and short delays without goggles and my contacts have stayed in.
On another note, I have jumped without my contacts ONCE before, and that was like driving blindfolded for me!!! Lets just say that landing was an interesting one... :DB|

I did my first 7 jumps without contacts or glasses, my eyes arent that bad (-2.0 and -1.75) and i broke my glasses the day before I started and i thought i'd get away with it... v bad plan, i didnt get one socially acceptable landing and ended up getting grounded for 2 months!

i use the daily contacts, much less hassle if you do lose them... just stick with tight googles and you'll be fine, google marks is such a good look anyway ;)

Even if one can find his contacts inside goggles or visor he can't use it anyway. Contacts should not stay without any moisture for the long (more than 10 sec) time.

I wear contacts but had never loose one in freefall even when my full-face sudenly flipped visor up.
Just raise you head so that wind will not blow contacts.

Soft lenses - don't know. I have hard lenses and could use them even when i forgot to wet them over night...

and both come out at least once.

Wow, that situation is what I'm concerned about... How bad is your vision? I have -6.5 on both eyes, so landing without contacts would be... interesting.

BHDT -6 on both eyes and lost one lens during a night 4 RW jump.

I'm an eye doc, fit most of my jumper patients with dailies. I wear dailies most of the time too. Who cares if you lose one, you have 90 more in a box. I keep spares in my gear bag.

Have never lost one, just use those cheap goggles and don't even bother taping up the holes. I wonder if your contacts are too loose a fit, or they are not very good with handling dryness plus maybe a bit of dry eye even without contacts. There may be better options for you, talk with your eye doc.

Jen

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

I had one go in behind my eye last weekend, it sucked... just so happens I thought we were doing a hop and pop and ended up getting about 6K and I didn't have an altimeter (don't usually bring one for a H&P). I dumped at 4K.... oops... at least the "clock" erred on the safe side.

--------------------------------------------------
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson

I'd be hesitant to jump an Oxygen because I've seen too many Oxygen visors fly off in freefall.

In this pic...its a Z1 that is open. I have never had my Oxygen open.

http://www.tonyhathaway.com/fotoserv/preview_large.php4?event=200Published_Photos&image=USPA-calendar-02.jpg

I had contacts...And I lost a bumch of them when I wore goggles. I got a fullface around jump number 100, and in the last 3500 jumps I have never lost one since.

I'd get a fullface.

BTW I had LASIK done (Thanks taxpayers;)) and it was one of the best things I have ever done.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I'm not saying Z-1's will never open in freefall (or in the tunnel), but it sure seems like Oxygen visors aren't as dependable as Z-1 visors.

I like the way Oxygens fit, I just don't like the visor.

If I remember correctly, Oren (in the photo) said the button had gotten pushed in and the visor didn't have anything to latch onto. I make sure I hear the button click and touch it before exiting. :D