saxboy

Stileto????

Another concern is openings, if you give yourself a good amount of time to get stable and pull, might be fine

but angela, you would have to question the fact. "why did it take so long to get stable?".... it would be lack of experience......

just be careful, and whatever your decision is, don't let the ego get in the way.

I posted earlier but I wanted to make it perfectly clear (though I can tell from your responses to people with 10 times my experience that you're intent on being stupid): I put 300 jumps on a sabre2 170 at a 1.28:1 wingloading before downsizing. I still stayed with a sabre2 which is an awesome canopy provided you have experience flying it, which you don't at 38 jumps or even 138 jumps. I was getting awesome swoops from the 170 because I took a canopy control course and got canopy piloting coaching from very experienced pilots --yes I said swoops on a sabre2 170. Even 100 jumps for a beginner on an unfamiliar canopy is nowhere near enough time or experience under the wing, so you don't have the skills you think you have. Switching to a much smaller and way faster, not to mention elliptical, stilletto, will most likely have you broken or dead within a few jumps - just a sad fact. Check out the Incidents forum and you'll see how many people like you have excellent canopy flying skills, or so they thought until they smashed into the ground. I demo'd a couple different canopies, one 10 times in a day and then jumped it the next day again, before deciding which canopy I would actually go with. Try a sabre2 150 if you're intent on downsizing, but I recommend you stay at or above a 150. The sabre2 170 and 150 are excellent choices and will give you all the performance that you can get out of it. A Stilletto 120 is a canopy I personally would not fly for another 200 or 300 jumps (to give me almost 700). Even before the stilletto 120 I would fly a Stilletto 135 to get used to a elliptical before moving down again. I have a sabre2 135 now and I know when I had 38, 138, and 238 jumps that I was nowhere near ready for this canopy. I know from flying the 135 about 40 times that a 120 is not a good choice for me yet. When you got your drivers license did you immediately get a Porsche 911 turbo that was way too fast for you to handle? Sure, you could drive it when everything was perfect conditions, but what happens when everything goes to shit? That's right, you have an accident because you couldn't control it in some unforseen event. It's the same thing with parachutes. Start out with a slower canopy you can control and as you gain experience you can move on. It doesn't matter how ready you think you are for a regular 120 let alone a stilletto 120, you are not ready for it plain and simple. Yeah, you're right, I've never seen you fly your canopy, but at 38 jumps you can't do anything to impress me or probably anyone with more than 38 jumps. Just the truth-

I think it would be entertaining to watch.... He broke his back and now his parents are changing his diapers again."

very entertaining indeed... :|:|:|
entertainment where you are and entertainment as I understand it must be very different :|:|:|
now the guy asked for advice, got shit and flames, asks for something more conservative and you guys continue to flame and shit on him...

PEOPLE WAKE UP !!!!

watching people biff in even if their gear choice is ABSOLUTELY wrong is not funny, not entertaining. Just remember people also kill themselves with sub 1.0 /1 wingloadings.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

A Sabre2 150 would be a much better option, and a Sabre2 170 might be better yet. Don't rush too much - titanium in your leg is very expensive :P.

He might even want to think about a Spectre or Triathlon. In the right hands, either can be swooped, but in the wrong hands they're much more forgiving than even a sabre 2. But I guess I probably shouldn't be replying anyway, because I'm still of the opinion that this thread is a joke.

That's exactly true. You'll have a LOT more ability to experiment with moves, and make adjustments, without being scared.

With a small canopy, you'll probably only be able to do things ONE way, and not try different things. With the larger canopy, you can try different ones, and fly in a manner that is more fun for you.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

now the guy asked for advice, got shit and flames, asks for something more conservative and you guys continue to flame and shit on him...

Thank you.I have recieved some messages and i really thanks the guys.I respect their opinions(because of their exerience 4500+ jumps) and probably i will follow their advise.Thanks Guys.I really appreciate it!

I don't have the money to buy one canopy and then to downsize
to another...

Then you don't have the money to safely pursue this sport. Quit now, because your medical bills will soon outpace your gear costs. B|

Listen to the advise of your instructors. They, and most of the folks on this forum, have more experience and better judgemant in this than you do.

Kevin K.
======================
Seasons don't fear the Reaper,
nor do the Wind, the Sun, or the Rain...

I think it would be entertaining to watch. I'll settle on just reading about him in that USPA magazine I get now.
"This skydiver had an uneventful freefall...swooped and struck a parked car. He broke his back and now his parents are changing his diapers again."

9 minutes later...

I agree. Fear of getting flamed is why I'm affraid to post up newbie questions.

Nine minutes after saying that watching someone hook it in would be "entertaining", you are agreeing with someone's criticism of similar responses?

Please examine your logic... :|
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

xa xa!Nice.
I don't have the money like you have probably but i love this sport more than you...34 in the sport and only 2900 IN FLORIDA!!!!

Maybe that's all he could afford. :S I was starting to sympathize with you until I read this. The notion of someone with 38 jumps telling someone with 2900 jumps they don't love the sport enough is ridiculous.

Humility is the biggest safety gear you will ever get in this sport, think about that one please.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

The notion of someone with 38 jumps telling someone with 2900 jumps they don't love the sport enough is ridiculous.

Humility is the biggest safety gear you will ever get in this sport, think about that one please.

When i posted this thread i ask for opinion and ADVICE.....Do anybody know the word ADVICE??????? and i get....nothing more than a lot of abuses!!!My instructor has told me a few days before that the skydivers are very SNOB,and i said why you telling me that?Now i think i understand.
Thanks folks!!!you are very kind!

After reading all the replies to Saxboy over the past week or so, I am tending to have more sympathy with him. I too, have a "shortage of funds" problem so I can understand where he is coming from in that regard. Also, all the nasty comments, etc were/are out of line - he asked for advice and mostly received a ration of s--t.

Saxboy, while I do not agree with your choice of the Stiletto 120, if that is what you want, that is what you should buy. Just be very, very careful and always remain aware that your canopy is just looking for a way to kill you. There is an old saying: "There are old skydivers and there are bold skydivers. There are NO old, bold skydivers." Be careful, my brother!

just be careful, and whatever your decision is, don't let the ego get in the way.

i thought this was good advice..

take it or leave it.

Exactly, there was good advice in this thread, unfortunately you had to sift through some rather pointless posts to find it. But, if you are not willing to make a small effort to find the good information then you will have a rough time in this sport and life in general.

I understand you are upset about some of the abuse you dealt with in this thread, but don't let it get to you, just sift through it and find what you feel is good advice. If you couldn't find any in this thread you weren't reading.

Angela.

When i posted this thread i ask for opinion and ADVICE

"krkeenan" gave you some great advice, and his opinion. In response you questioned his love of the sport.

and i get....nothing more than a lot of abuses!!!

The ground is much, much, much more abusive. We don't want to see you get hurt. [:/]
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

When i posted this thread i ask for opinion and ADVICE.....Do anybody know the word ADVICE??????? and i get....nothing more than a lot of abuses!!!My instructor has told me a few days before that the skydivers are very SNOB,and i said why you telling me that?Now i think i understand.
Thanks folks!!!you are very kind!

Saxboy, from one fellow newbie to another, let me give you some advice that might help you in this sport....

1) If a bunch of people involved in this sport tell you you're crazy, there's probably truth to it. While there's some benefit to seeking out other opinions, be careful that you don't go "answer shopping" - asking enough people that you eventually get the answer you want.

2) A little humility will go a long way in this sport and will encourage people who know a lot more than you to share information with you in an open and helpful manner. Listen.

3) There is a lot of self-righteousness (snobbiness, whatever you want to call it) in this sport. I'm not going to deny that. But there's also a lot of great information to be learned if you're willing to listen more than you talk.

4) See this thread (http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1451777) for a better understanding of where some of the attitudes come from (both from new skydivers and very experienced skydivers). It may give you a better idea of why you got some of the responses that you did.

5) Develop a thick skin and an open mind. Both will serve you well.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

He lives in Greece; he's probably selecting from the available used canopies. If there are 20 jumpers where he is, that's not going to be a big number.

When you're not that experienced, going farther for gear is more challenging, so you're going to select from the available choices. If the Stiletto was presented as a reasonable option that he could get, and get checked out of course he would consider it.

A Sabre2 150 will provide him a lot of room to grow on for years. If it's available, it's a much better option.

Not everyone jumps where it's easy to find gear.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

He lives in Greece; he's probably selecting from the available used canopies. If there are 20 jumpers where he is, that's not going to be a big number.

When you're not that experienced, going farther for gear is more challenging, so you're going to select from the available choices. If the Stiletto was presented as a reasonable option that he could get, and get checked out of course he would consider it.

A Sabre2 150 will provide him a lot of room to grow on for years. If it's available, it's a much better option.

Not everyone jumps where it's easy to find gear.

Wendy W.

No...i don't want to buy a used canopy.i want a new one and probably i will buy a sabre 2 150.

OK, I misunderstood. I'm pretty good at that, but it takes practice :P.

You'll need to be careful with the Sabre2; it does have the ability to hurt you. Anything does, but it'll happen with less time to recover the smaller the canopy.

Wendy W.

OK, I misunderstood. I'm pretty good at that, but it takes practice :P.

You'll need to be careful with the Sabre2; it does have the ability to hurt you. Anything does, but it'll happen with less time to recover the smaller the canopy.

Wendy W.

Thank you. :-)

You'll need to be careful with the Sabre2; it does have the ability to hurt you.

Yes, practice with it up high until you have a good feel for the flight characteristics and take it very easy on the landing approaches. You'll have a pretty fair chance of surviving long enough to become a good canopy pilot with it and at your WL it's not overly radical. That Stilleto 120 idea was scaring me, bro, it could really get you into a bad situation very quickly, IMO. Good luck.

I think it would be entertaining to watch. I'll settle on just reading about him in that USPA magazine I get now.
"This skydiver had an uneventful freefall...swooped and struck a parked car. He broke his back and now his parents are changing his diapers again."

9 minutes later...

I agree. Fear of getting flamed is why I'm affraid to post up newbie questions.

Nine minutes after saying that watching someone hook it in would be "entertaining", you are agreeing with someone's criticism of similar responses?

Please examine your logic... :|

Not trying to be logical. Sorry for the confusion. I thought this was a BS post meaning a bad joke, not a newbie post. I wasn't taking it seriously, some other skydiver confirmed my suspision, and that's why I added my bad joke. Read his post and reply again, it sounds like a joke. If I thought is was real I would not have even posted because I can't give him professional advice because I'm a newbie.
We have the same thing in the sport bike community. Idiots that can't ride or have little experience want to buy 1000cc machines with 160+ HP to the back tire. We call them squids not newbies. We joke about it too. They crash often and sometimes die. I've seen it, and it's entertaining sometimes.
If this post is genuine, then I apologize to him and hope he listens to you all.