saxboy

Stileto????

Saxboy, while I do not agree with your choice of the Stiletto 120, if that is what you want, that is what you should buy.

WTF? What kind of advice is that? Buy what you want (based on uneducated assumpions) regardless of anything else?

Reverse psychology or just bad advice to a stranger?

And saxboy, buying new makes no sense. You could get a used sabre 170 and then a sabre 150 a couple years later for the price of a brand new stilleto. Don't waste your money on something you think you'll want to keep for years. You won't.

Dave

>Do anybody know the word ADVICE???????

I think you are getting a lot of advice, but a lot of it is advice you don't want to hear. Mine is:

1. Jumping a St-120 at your stage will very likely cripple or kill you. If you do decide to jump it, I hope my prediction is wrong. But I've seen people cripple and kill themselves doing less aggressive downsizes than you are doing, and they did it even in the face of a lot of people telling them not to.

2. Downsize slowly. At each stage, get coaching and make sure you can handle the canopy 100%. That does NOT mean you can land it standing up - it means you can land it standing up on asphalt crosswind when someone cuts you off at 100 feet and the winds are funky.

3. Don't let money dictate bad gear choices. If you want help finding a more appropriate canopy, PM me and I will see what I can do. It will be cheaper in the long run than fixing a broken femur (or worse.)

***.So please tell me your opinion because all my friends
said to me that i am crazy!

It is disheartening that you would seek advice from strangers that you don't know on the internet. The people, (all your friends), that know you best have told you that you are crazy! Enough said! And that is my opinion.

----------
I used to think skydiving would be cheaper then smoking crack!

No...i don't want to buy a used canopy.i want a new one and probably i will buy a sabre 2 150.

probably not a bad choice. you can learn alot and grow with it also...

if you want any advice without public harshness, pm me. and i will give you what i got. and if you want i will give you user names of other peeps you should pm for there opinion. dont get upset from what year seeing... thats just the way it is...

and all these green usernames... i honestly have never seen them steer somone new wrong. so it might be a good idea to really LISTEN to the green peeps....;)

You'll be a better swooper and alround canopy pilot if you buy the sabreII 150. Do you want to be a good swooper and pilot or a crappy one?

Does he really need to be worried about learning how to swoop with 38 jumps?

I don't know anything about anything but it seems like a 7 cell would be a good forgiving canopy given that he isn't going to get much coaching or direction as there are no real experienced jumpers in his area.

No...i don't want to buy a used canopy.i want a new one and probably i will buy a sabre 2 150.

probably not a bad choice. you can learn alot and grow with it also...

I just bought my first rig - from my home DZO. Container is a late 90's Vector and main is a Sabre2-150 w/ ~ 1000 jumps. The whole rig was under $2500. I weigh about the same as saxboy. I like it and I'm sure it will last for a few hundred for me - especially as many have pointed that it can be more fun as my canopy skills improve. Of my whole 8 jumps on this canopy so far, all my landings have been standup.

According to information I read. You are in Greece? Only one dropzone in all of Greece? And there are only 20 regulars? Wow. No wonder it must be so difficult for you...

And billyvon the moderator has actually replied to you.... (he probably checked the IP address and found it comes from Greece, so the fact he didn't ignore you, is very revealing -- moderators can see IP address).

Now your post is probably genuine and you were apparently truly seriously considering the Stiletto! That's damn scary... They scare me just merely watching others fly them, and I have 61 jumps (which is more than your 38). Some people were shocked to the point they thought you were making a fake post to attract flamebait. (I know boards well... I moderate other discussion forums!)

(Take me with a grain of salt, please. I'm only at 61 jumps as of this time of posting.) Good move at least, the Sabre2 150 is definitely much safer than Stiletto, and it does NOT take a 100-jump wonder to say that...! I can't say whether it's still appropriate for you, but on a "relative" basis, better you take your chances under the Sabre2 150 than the Stiletto 120... So, still a positive move that even everyone can agree with, even a relative newbie like me. (170 is even safer. 150 may even be too aggressive. But far better choice than the Stilleto 120)

Unfortunately, it looks like canopy coaching is nonexistent in Greece...and your mention of your finances indicate you probably can't afford to travel to get coaching. Try to. But if not, there's an amazing book "Parachute and its Pilot" by Brian Germain at www.bigairsportz.com. So many people say it is one of the best books on flying a canopy. But definitely lend it to the instructor too just in case -- he'll probably love the book since it probably has great stuff that isn't even learned in Greece (and I am not even talking about swooping)! -- Books can also be abused so you still need an instructor to help you progress safely. Book Reviews on 'Parachute and its Pilot' for more information. This book is much, much, much better than nothing if you can't get canopy coaching in Greece. May even save your life considering your eagerness to downsize so dramatically.

B|hi all .i m a guy from saxboy"s drop zone
here is the truth about our friend.he only has 6 staticline jumps and a couple of aff jumps. .and of course we would never let him jump on a tiny canopy such as a stileto 120.no way .the bad thing is that he really believes that he can fly that canopy.he thinks he knows stuff but we intend to keep him alive ... ***

Excellent. Please do. I can understand that there is only one dropzone in Greece and help can be hard to get...

If you think a Sabre 150 is too small, please convince him to go to a Sabre 170 or even 190. (Or whatever the dropzone thinks is appropriate) Still lots of fun to fly and everybody seems to be agreeing they are far more forgiving, as far as I know.

Nontheless, the good news is he appears to have stopped considering the Stiletto.

No they won't. Just because it has been around a while doesn't make it good for students now. Telling this guy that stuff ill get him killed. You should rethink your logic IMHO

Atair also tells people to open in a sit or track to make there canopies open well. That is BS. there main may be able to handle it but your body can't or your rig!!!!

For the record I thk the SAbre2 is not a good first canopy.
Dom

For the record I thk the SAbre2 is not a good first canopy.

Why is this? You just dont like the Sabre 2 or is it the type of canopy you object to?

FGF #???
I miss the sky...
There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary and those who don't.

SOME canopies do not have a problem opening in a track............

It is a concern that so many new jumpers want to run before they can walk these days and as a part time aff'er (Full time drogue chucker) I see this all the time.

Some people NEED friends or a dzso to say NO at times or they WILL end up hurting themselves. Not just themselves but the people and jumpers around them. Watching someone do a hook turn in front of me and badly break an ankle left me feeling sick for a long time many years ago and most guys and girls who have been around the sport for a while will also have been through a similar experience.

Being an "extreme" sport skydiving tends to attract an element that doesn't listen to anyone as they know everything already.

It's up to those with authority and/or experience to ban them from hurting themselves or steer them into a direction/option better than pain and suffering or WORSE.

BSBD! -Mark.

"A Scar is just a Tattoo with a story!!!"

Hey SaxBoy? I hope you're still alive, dude!!! B|

I can't understand why nobody told SaxBoy to ask his instructor for ADVICE he is so desperately seeking for? ;)

Your instructor should be treated as God and Father by you! If you have any concern or need advice - ask him (her)! S/he is there to answer your questions!!! :)
Now, my personal opinion: Stiletto 120 will most likely kill you! When I exchanged my old good Sabre 150 for Stiletto 150 I felt HUGE difference!!! My wing loading remained the same (1.28-1.31 to 1) but experience changed dramatically! With my <150 jumps I think I have made not a wise decision. Yes there is much more fun under Stiletto but every time I land I feel I'm stepping over my safety margin. In fact I'm thinking of switching back to something more conservative...:S

You wanted advice? Ok:
#1 Ask you instructor.
#2 Read FREE safety articles here on dropzone.com Read canopy control publications and try to apply learned techniques to your current canopy. Learn stuff step by step, gradually and smooth. Have a program for every jump. Consult with your instructor!!!
#3 Use good judgment. Don’t overestimate your skills. Discuss your progress with you instructor!!!
#4 Don't rush to meet morbid anatomist. Ask your instructor why!!! ;)

Blue Skies, buddy!!! ;)