saxboy

Stileto????

Hi Amanda.!
In my country the skydiving isn't so popular..and we have only one DZ.I know only 20 persons in the DZ and thats all.In 0ne year on the sport (5 months jumping) I never had seen another person except these 20 known persons.Thats why i told you i don't have the money to downsize 2-3 times because we don't have people to buy these canopies.I will give you an example.One guy has 300+ jumps c-licence and he can't do a proper landing(on his feet!!)This guy will never buy a smaller canopy.Is a stiletto 150 smarter choice?I love how the stiletto flies.my Aff instructor has an 97 i think stiletto an i love it.I know the dangerous...

You know ironicly what once made the stiletto a big boys canopy now makes it a novice canopy. The big problem with the stiletto when it first came out was it would spin up on opening real quick. Then some folks found out if you where square on opening it wouldn't spin up. The recovery arc is very shollow so actually the stiletto is better suited for novice skydivers then many of the so called novice canopy's . It won't be long before all students are put out on elliptical canopy's It amazes me that people will say that a sabre2 will dive hard and is a swoop machine at higher wing loading but that at low wing loadings it's a great novice canopy. But when Atair did the same thing with the Cobalt , main stream was that can't be true! Well the truth is Atair was way ahead of the curve and all students will in the near future jump eliptical canopy's

The recovery arc is very shollow so actually the stiletto is better suited for novice skydivers then many of the so called novice canopy's .

This is dangerous advice, in my opinion.

Until I have your confidence in the advice you give, I'll stick with what works for me. (That, and the correct use of the apostrophe.;))

Saxboy - please spend some time in the incidents forum looking at the people who know everything you already know.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

Everybody in here has advised you not to do it, but I don't think you are going to listen. I know this first hand. I tried to downsize to quickly. I admit that it wouldn't have mattered what anyone said I was going to do it. I now have a titanium rod and some pins in my leg. I ended up taking 3months off of work rehab myself so I could walk. It probably took me another nine months to get rid of the limp. I can tell you that an injury like this will make you think twice about what you want out of this sport. By the way I waited 500 jumps to get injured. As far as currency goes I live in Arizona I probably average 250 jumps a year. Ask yourself if you can afford 3 months or longer off and the bills that go along with it. By the way I personally know of 3 other people with rods in their lags and none of them have recovered as well as I have. All that being said I have made another 500+jumps since my accident. Please learn from my stupidity.

If this is trolling I'm at work

There are a lot of threads of this nature in the canopy control and swooping forum. Take a gander - it's usually a newbie thinking they are ready, a bunch of lecturing, and an obstinate sets of posturing. But hidden in most of them is really good advice on what types of manuvers need to be mastered before downsizing or going to a more advance canopy type. I really doubt most newer jumpers wanting to move on have really done the skills progressions needed and if you take the advice seriously, you can see it takes quite a few jumps to get to that point. Most any canopy is a great ride if you really take the time to learn it and pull all the performance you can out of it. (examples; have you used/mastered/learned at altitude what all the risers can do for you in addition to toggles? Can you make flat turns? Land straight in? Land straight in from half brakes? etc. It's a good set of skills and many in that forum really will provide the full list if you ask nicely.)

There is also a lot of lecturing. But it all means well.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Hi!I am from Greece.
But if everybody says that i am crazy and probably dead if i will buy this canopy....what do you thing for a Sabre 2 135 or 150?

Sabre2 150 would be a MUCH safer choice, and still a canopy you will love to fly for several hundred jumps. Please forget about the Stilletto 120.

Hi!I am from Greece.
But if everybody says that i am crazy and probably dead if i will buy this canopy....what do you thing for a Sabre 2 135 or 150?

what Chaoskitty said...
sabre2 150 would be a much better choice...
and people are right to say a stiletto 120 would be deadly... even a bigger and calmer canopy can be. Put all chances on your side...
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Hi!I am from Greece.

Sabre2 150 would be a MUCH safer choice, and still a canopy you will love to fly for several hundred jumps. Please forget about the Stilletto 120.

I've seen people swoop a Sabre similiarly to the Stiletto flyers.

I know absolutely zilch about swooping, just what I watch other people, hear, and read... If people want a Stiletto "just because they saw cool landings".... look again, I've seen similiar cool landings under Sabre/Sabre2 by other people at my dropzone. Why go Stiletto right away... You just hafta get the right kind of canopy coaching...

Is it just me or do others here recall the days when PD and/or most gear stores would toss someone out on their ear if they walked up and said, "I've only got 38 jumps and want to buy a Stilletto."

... but seriously, to the person who started this thread... if you were just "trolling", good on you, you were successful... if you were serious, stick with a Sabre 2 - 170 or the like for several hundred jumps like most folk have advised... if you insist on jumping a Stilletto 120 at this point in your jump career, I really hope you don't hurt yourself, but I think its likely you will.

what do you thing for a Sabre 2 135 or 150?

A Sabre2 150 would be a much smarter choice, IMO. I'm not going to say you're not going to get hurt under that one, either, but at least you're going to have to put some effort into doing it. You'll have that loaded at about 1:1, so it will be exciting for quite a few jumps and when you decide to sell it, you'll get a very decent price, assuming you take care of it. Be careful until you get used to it, bro, it's still a handful for a low-time jumper. You should really try and demo one before you buy, if possible.

Is it just me or do others here recall the days when PD and/or most gear stores would toss someone out on their ear if they walked up and said, "I've only got 38 jumps and want to buy a Stilletto."

I seem to remember that when I started jumping, PD required 400 (or maybe 500?) jumps before they would sell someone a stiletto. The canopy hasn't changed and the ground hasn't got any softer, so (directed at the original poster) if you have any less jumps please re-consider whether you have any business being under such a canopy.

To the original poster - why not try a Spectre 150 as well? I think the Specte is a fantastic beginner canopy - and is also jumped my many highly experienced jumpers as well.

Vicki

Hi Amanda.!
In my country the skydiving isn't so popular..and we have only one DZ.I know only 20 persons in the DZ and thats all.In 0ne year on the sport (5 months jumping) I never had seen another person except these 20 known persons.Thats why i told you i don't have the money to downsize 2-3 times because we don't have people to buy these canopies.I will give you an example.One guy has 300+ jumps c-licence and he can't do a proper landing(on his feet!!)This guy will never buy a smaller canopy.Is a stiletto 150 smarter choice?I love how the stiletto flies.my Aff instructor has an 97 i think stiletto an i love it.I know the dangerous...

My first canopy was a stiletto 150 at 50 jumps and I weighed about the same as you at the time. I got a lot of crap for it, but I liked the canopy and I flew it conservatively. I think you should have at least flown another 150 before you fly the stiletto, it is not as forgiving of bad body position on opening as another 150 might be. A 120 at your jump numbers is not recommended, and if you buy the 150 you are likely going to have no problem selling it. I put about 80 jumps on mine before I sold it for 100$ less than what I bought it for.

Best of luck in your search. Be careful, a 120 may be a bit above your head at your jump numbers, regardless of planform. Talk to your instructors. Maybe a 150 or 135 might be a better choice of canopy.

-A

Oh hell, if I can get a passport and whatever kind of visa it takes, I want to go watch him plant, er, jump this thing. Should make an entertaining video short at skydivingmovies.com, especially for all the newbies who haven't seen this sort of thing yet.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Oh hell, if I can get a passport and whatever kind of visa it takes, I want to go watch him plant, er, jump this thing. Should make an entertaining video short at skydivingmovies.com, especially for all the newbies who haven't seen this sort of thing yet.

Or, alternatively, you might get there and watch him land softly on the parachute. I wouldn't be concerned about his landings when all is going well, it is when faced with an off-dz landing, or someone who cuts him off, or coming in toward an obstacle, etc, that what his next move would be would be a concern (ie, low turn, etc.) However, that would be a consideration on any 120 comparably loaded, not just stiletto i'd think. I would personally choose a larger elliptical to get started on and learn the controls of first before a 120. Another concern is openings, if you give yourself a good amount of time to get stable and pull, might be fine... but, if you are rushed, or pull a little unstable, you could be in a mess that is spinning and diving very fast due to the size and planform. Will you handle it well? Who knows, maybe, maybe not.

I can tell you from experience that posts like yours are not bothered with by some of us. I prefer constructive comments, like mine and some others on here who will point out in exactly what situations this canopy might be a problem. Those get someone to actually think about it instead of brush you off because you sound like an ass repeating the same old "you're gonna die" line.

jmo,
-A

I think it would be entertaining to watch. I'll settle on just reading about him in that USPA magazine I get now.
"This skydiver had an uneventful freefall...swooped and struck a parked car. He broke his back and now his parents are changing his diapers again."

I can tell you from experience that posts like yours are not bothered with by some of us. I prefer constructive comments, like mine and some others on here who will point out in exactly what situations this canopy might be a problem. Those get someone to actually think about it instead of brush you off because you sound like an ass repeating the same old "you're gonna die" line.

jmo,
-A

I agree. Fear of getting flamed is why I'm affraid to post up newbie questions. Normally I just point, click, and read...sometimes laugh at the people that get worked up on this site. I still think this is a joke post, so I'm playing along
I guess that I canPM you if I have questions in the future. Are you anywhere near Sarasota?