cbrummett

Line Twist

I don't know if this is the appropriate forum but I just completed my AFF and out of 7 jumps I have had 2 line twists. The second was more severe in that the twist continued to grow even after full inflation to 8-9 twists before it stopped. Any preventative recommendations?

first of all i am sure people will tell you that this is not an incident and should probably moved to general skydiving questions.
Having said that, what could be causing your line twist is you body postion. if when you pull one of your shoulders is lower than the other you will have line twist.

Thanasi

Incidents Forum Posting Guidelines:
Before you start a thread in the Incidents Forum or reply to post please consider the guidelines below:
The purpose of this forum is to report, discuss and learn from fatal and serious non-fatal incidents.
Most, if not all, new threads here should start with the report of an actual incident. General safety issues or small and potential incidents should be posted to the Safety and Training forum.
Incidents include: malfunctions, cutaways, wraps, collisions, crash landings etc. I trust everyone will use their good judgment before starting a thread or disposing of advice.
In case of a fatality please post your condolences to the Talkback forum and keep this forum for discussion.

I would guess body position looking at you jump numbers, possibly packing but i would doubt it.

Ask your instructor what he/she thinks, he/she will be more aware of any habits/faults you may be 'honing'. :)
Expect this thread to be moved too.

-- Hope you don't die. --

I'm fucking winning

Any preventative recommendations?

Yes, hire a qualified coach with a video camera.

That said do a couple solos performing this exercise. Place the hands in pull position. Be sure to extend the legs a little bit more. Keeping your hands in pull position, do a 360 left and stop on heading. Then do a 360 right, and stop back on heading. Do that several times.

When pull time comes, take your time. Start just a little higher so you can relax for a second or too longer, Hold your heading and pull on time. Return to free fall position. Don't reach for the risers before the canopy stands you up.

Remember, a nice relaxed on heading arch with the legs out just a little bit. Symmetry my friend!

Have fun and good luck!
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

I have 99 jumps and line twists only once and that was just last week and then only a 360 twist. Got right out of it.

I've often wondered if this happens more frequently to lighter jumpers? Its so common that I wonder at the fact that I have only had it one time. I cant believe that its because I'm such a great skydiver at 99 jumps ;)
__

My mighty steed

The second was more severe in that the twist continued to grow even after full inflation to 8-9 twists before it stopped

I should have commented on this in the first post. If you continue to spin up into more line twists, this would indicate body position. It sounds as if you are being flung into line twists.

Try the excersizes mentioned in my previous post. I can nearly rule out with all certainty, it's not a packing issue.

Good luck!
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

as everyone has said its most likley body posistion. you got good advice regarding take a moment before you reach back to pull..... breathe......ahhhhh..... look at the horizon camly deploy. continue to watch the horizon. not immediatly watching the canopy deply helps some people have more consistant on heading openings.
a few other things to consider is packing. different size and type rubber bands will easily cause line twists. also uneven lengh line stows can do the same. the most significant packing culprit causing line twists is not leaving enough exess unstowed line in the container under the bag. i like at least 2 feet personaly and if you dont mind me boasting a little i have mostly on heading openings. hope i helped.

Here's something that helped me when I was starting out. It's a variation to what Hookit said.

On a solo, make a note of your heading. Then assume the Pull Position. One arm over head, the other palming your hackey/ pud.

Hold that for 5 seconds while monitoring your heading. If there's a change, see if you can correct it/ hold it without leaving the Pull Position.

Then back to neutral for 5 seconds. Did it stay on-heading? This should tell you if you're inducing the spin while going to pull or while going back to neutral after the pull, or both.

Rinse/ repeat the exercise, slowly decreasing the hold time until you can move from neutral to pull to neutral again with no change in heading.

As with all advice, run it by an instructor first.
“There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophies.”

From my 3 AFF jumps ive had line twists twice, my first jump my head was stuck in front of my risers because it was so twisted. Yesterdays' i was so pissed off at myself in freefall (turning body while pulling which caused the twists...) that i didnt even realise id kicked out of them. :)