chuteless

where did all those years go?

I was just typing a post and the date came up on the screen. It was 43 years ago today I made my first jump on a 28 ft C-9 purple dyed canopy. The jump cost $ 3.00 but it was a freebie. I landed closest to the target and won a $7.00 pool. Good for 2 more jumps the following weeks.

Where did all those years go?????

Bill Cole

B-81, C-76, D-41, Chuteless # 2 and #3, Hemp #6, Hispa #29

I was just wondering where this SUMMER went... A DJ said on the radio she was looking forward to the leaves falling from the trees and watching football on the tube with a fire in the fireplace...

Now, if you want to think bigger and talk about years, well then, please do... But I am just wondering where the months went.:P:$

No picture, but I can close my eyes and remember the parachute coming up between my legs doing my first dummy rip cord pull 29 years ago:$

I wish I had a picture of my jumpmasters face as I fell away from him:)
Dam that one hurt though[:/]
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

LOL! :D I didn't get a deployment thru my legs (well maybe more than one..) till I was on 10 second delays. That put me back on 5-second delays! God bless those cheapos, they opened no matter how unstable you were! The fun part was dumping in a flat spin, gave me line twists (remember when it was called a barber pole?) right thru the risers so tight it pinned my chin against my chest & I couldn't look up to check my canopy til it unwound.

Ya, I got to watch the static line pull the main out when I did mine. The look on the JM's face said. "Ooohhhh, this is gonna hurt!"
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

line twists (remember when it was called a barber pole?)

Oooh -- I hadn't thought of that term in years! I remember the motorcycle helmets that students wore, and learning how to adjust the diagonals on the military rigs so that they'd actually resemble something that fit.

I had to buy an altimeter to do any delay longer than 15 seconds :D

And dot snaps. If I ever see Joe Dot, I'll take him down for inventing them :P

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I remember the motorcycle helmets that students wore

Those motorcycle helmets came in quite handy. On my 1st freefall (jump #6) I landed my C-9 on the runway, but I didn't realize I was going to hit tarmac because like a good student I followed my training and had my eyes fixed on the horizon. Backing up of course, so the back of my head cracked against the tarmac. The helmet did its job - didn't even ring my bell.

Mine, on the other hand, was too big, so it most definitely DID ring my bell when I backup up and did a feet-butt-head landing :S

So I went up and did a second jump the next weekend. Or whenever it was I could jump next (don't remember -- they say that memory is the second thing to go, but I don't remember what the first is:D)

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

where did all those years go?

I think John Mellencamp said it best:

"Days turn to minutes and minutes to memories."

G. Jones

"I've never been quarantined. But the more I look around, the more I think it might not be a bad idea."