AndyMan

Pics: Birth of an Otter.

The closest thing to a new Otter has just flown to Skydive Arizona for paint and jump mods before it returns to its new home at Chicagoland Skydiving Center.

Pictures tell the whole story: http://www.skyteam-aviation.com/timeline1.php

_Am

Haha... Looks interesting. I heard no paint just jump mods? :ph34r: To start with anyways...
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

The story as I've heard it is unimpressive - it was pulled from a junkyard last fall. Missing parts including wings and engines were located and the work began.

As for how much it costs... far more than I care to imagine.

I'm amazed at how clean it looks inside. I'm sure once we start jumping it, that will change quickly.

When I first saw the pictures of the instrument panel I was confused. I thought the instruments were supposed to have "INOP" stickers on them... ;)

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

I'm amazed at how clean it looks inside. I'm sure once we start jumping it, that will change quickly.

Do the jump mods include benches? I know that you are required to have restraints but does that have to be airline style lap belts (which would require a bench) or can they be strops with RSL shackles or carabiners (as we have in the UK - where seatbelts aren't require for take off, but helmets are). Would be weird sitting on the floor of a Twotter! All the Skyvan's I've jumped in the States have benches but you have to sit on the floor in the one that gets jumped in the UK (G-BEOL). Although even in the Skyvans with benches, some people are still required to sit on the floor and I'm sure I've seen lap belts mounted on the floor with the two ends of the buckle close together on the same strap so that it can be buckled around the rig webbing.
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

Haha... Looks interesting. I heard no paint just jump mods? :ph34r: To start with anyways...

They spend all that money on the inside - you would at least think they could take it to Macco for the $59 special exterior paint job...:P

Do the jump mods include benches? I know that you are required to have restraints but does that have to be airline style lap belts (which would require a bench) or can they be strops with RSL shackles or carabiners (as we have in the UK - where seatbelts aren't require for take off, but helmets are). Would be weird sitting on the floor of a Twotter! All the Skyvan's I've jumped in the States have benches but you have to sit on the floor in the one that gets jumped in the UK (G-BEOL). Although even in the Skyvans with benches, some people are still required to sit on the floor and I'm sure I've seen lap belts mounted on the floor with the two ends of the buckle close together on the same strap so that it can be buckled around the rig webbing.

Lap belts don't need benches. I have more jumps from non-bench otters than bench otters and I like the ones w/o better.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

The Skydive Chicago otters have you sitting on the floor w/ buckles that come from one attachment point on the wall of the plane to go through one point on your harness.

However, the Chicagoland Otter (where I jump) will eventually have benches installed w/ typical airline lap belts. I believe they are still in the flight testing stages. It is also definately going to be painted - the owner just wouldn't divulge this info to me (he thinks it's fun to not tell stuff like that).

Teh 2 doors is interesting - I don't think it's an option though. Just one of those inprocess stuff. From word of mouth the experts down there @ ASC are putting in the lights/door & benches. Then off to be painted & home... well that was suppose to be over a month ago.

There is no can't. Only lack of knowledge or fear. Only you can fix your fear.

PMS #227 (just like the TV show)

In the US you don't need benches, but you do need seatbelts.

Skydive Chicago has gymnasium-style mats on the floor of their otter and it works OK. The seatbelts are anchored to the wall and are short enough to pass through the harness.

There was talk of side benches or straddle benches, I'm not sure which way they went.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

I have more jumps from non-bench otters than bench otters and I like the ones w/o better.

A friend (hi Tash!) reminded me that I've jumped from an Otter without a bench at Zephyrhills. It was a couple of years ago....:-S It looks as though it is lap-style belts along the side of the fuselage.
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

Skydive Chicago has gymnasium-style mats on the floor of their otter

funny, I dont remember SDC having mats the last few yrs... but then again its something I dont pay much attention to.
Been in otters with benches too.. i usually prefer the ones without too

Where is my fizzy-lifting drink?

>I know that you are required to have restraints but does that have to be airline style lap belts . . .

They have to be approved. The only restraints that are currently approved are airline style. If you wanted to get a carabiner system approved, you'd have to test it with the harness you wanted it approved with - and that would be a lot of testing.

>or can they be strops with RSL shackles or carabiners

Those may prevent significant load shifting during an aircraft emergency, but due to how they translate linear loads into rotational ones, they may well do more harm than good for individual jumpers who use them. I fear that we won't know exactly how good/bad they are until we have a crash that puts them to the test.

funny, I dont remember SDC having mats the last few yrs... but then again its something I dont pay much attention to.

They've had soft mats for at least 8 years (since I've been going there). Very nice if you're kneeling for an exit.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

They've had soft mats for at least 8 years (since I've been going there). Very nice if you're kneeling for an exit.

Andy - What I posted probably sounded off. I didn't mean it that way. :)I'm sure they have something, but like i said I never paid attention. I shall this coming weekend.

Where is my fizzy-lifting drink?

I love the soft mats. So much better than the plain carpeting in other otters i've been in. I absolutely hate otters with benches so i'm glad our SDC otters don't have them. We're really spoiled with our awesome otters. I love SDC!!

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!