TXBLKBEAR

African American SkyDiver! What?

Hey everyone.

I am new to skydiving and I love it!!! :D

This is the best sport in the world. I think that the people make the sport and everyone i have met at my DZ is cool.

I have a question. I noticed after about my 8th jump or so that their were no Black skydivers at my DZ. It never really came to my attention until a visiting skydiver came up to me with his mouth hanging open. He said he had seen it all now. he was joking and quickly informed me that he was Puerto Rican and had been trying his best to get his best friend (whos Black) to jump. His friend bet him that he couldnt find a Black American jumping and if he did thats when he would go for it. (He's just a Leg)

I thought it was strange yet funny. After that I looked at all the pics on the wall at my DZ and couldnt find another Black person. One good thing about it is, everybody knows me at my DZ. B|

Now let me say that I live in Texas now but I'm from L.A. so I know it all depends on where you are. So I'm wondering if there are any Licensed African american's at your drop zones?

This is just a question for the curious. I have not had any racial problems at all. As a matter of fact my DZ is where I would hang out everyday if it was not for this job of mine. Once a person discovers Skydiving they should be exempt from things like work, school, bills... and stuff like that.***

Airborne!

None at my dropzone. Reasons? not sure, but your right, seems to be sport that for some reason african americans don't seem to participate in. Glad you could break the stereotype and enjoy skydiving like all of us out there. Just remember, watch out for that ground because it really doesn't care what color your skin is! ;)

Nope, I don't think I've seen any Black licensed skydivers at any of the DZ's I've been too, and I RARELY see Black tandems. It's too bad, they're all missing out! Welcome to our sport B|

P.S. you might want to separate your signiture from your posts with at least a couple spaces, before AggieDave gets on your case :D

African Americans? or Black African Americans?

There are some south africans (that are white) that have become citizens of america that consider themselves African Americans...and no joke, i've seen more of this kind than Black African Americans at the DZ.

The craziest Black African American was this guy when i first started jumping, he wasn't a swooper, but would spirial his big ass 240 raven to about 20 feet and flare hard.

He femored in a while ago, don't know if he's still jumpin :S

I was just going to say. The first time I ever saw an African American skydiving was at Quincy in 2000. Even then, he wasn't really jumping. He was on the world record for the largest dirt dive of a freefly jump. Yeah I know. Sounds really gay. They didn't even do the jump, they just DIRT DIVED the jump. This is why I am glad to be a belly flyer. We don't do any unnecessary dirt dives.

Clint D-24352

And we are very pleased to acknowledge our most recent favorite three. Mark, Sherman, and Jason. All very experienced skydivers. Love ya bunches!!

They are SGC core people :) Proud of you and all the great other Africian Americans that pre-dated you all in the 60's and 70's!

Jeremey Neese in the USA, "Africian-American, has been our country's meaning, and has nothing to do with the "white africians in Africa, that you are reffering to.

SGC
since 1961

Africian-American, has been our country's meaning, and has nothing to do with the "white africians in Africa, that you are reffering to

I should hope so, I'd hate to see an African native living in Africa refer to himself as an African American, his countrymen might get upset :P

What I refer to is at ANY African that becomes an American is an African American, and those South Africans (white or black) refer to themselves as such.

500 tandems and only ~3 black students, it sucks that there isn't a better representation of that culture in our skydiving one. It'd be nice to get some stats on (all) race to see specifically though.

Where did you get 500 tandems and three black tandems?

I said we have three currentyly advanced skydivers and much more than qualified skydivers! They are some of the best skydivers, and they do not need to be rated by the color of their skin!

We have had many " Black Americans" or "African Americans at our DZ for many years.

Are you the real idiot everyone in your area, and your previous area think you are?

Live and learn for all of us!

There is no color in skydiving or in families!

Lee

Where did you get 500 tandems and three black tandems?

That is how many i've done personally, i should have been more clear about that one.

As for the rest, your reading into something that isn't there. I'm talking about bringing something more into our skydiving culture. The more diverse faces you see at the DZ, the more free spirited we become. (Becuase we're embracing as many cultures into one unique one)

Thanks kallend. Cool pic. What team is that?

That's Moneyshot from Skydive Chicago (who rocked at Nationals, may I add), and James is such a sweetie! I love him to death!

-Miranda
you shall above all things be glad and young / For if you're young,whatever life you wear
it will become you;and if you are glad / whatever's living will yourself become.

What I find refreshing is that at every DZ I've been to all skydivers are color blind. I never even gave it a second thought until someone raised this discussion earlier on dz.com.

Not all places you visit in life are like this. Nice to be part of a community that doesn't discriminate.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon