pertierr

First canopy ride with absolutely no thigh pain!!

This was so awesome, I had to post it here.

I have a javelin rig which i bought used, i don't know if it's the sizing or what, but the thigh pain is unbearable even though it has really wide straps and my Safire is a relatively soft opening canopy.

I couldn't do more than one jump or maybe two a day because the pain was so unbearable.

I guess I got fed up, and I grabbed one of those foam matresses you can buy at Wal-Mart for a few bucks, cut two strips long enough to wrap around my thighs and a bit wider than the leg straps. I wrapped them around my legs, under my jeans so they stay put.

All I can say was WOW. That solved the problem completely. If anyone has this problem, do try this, there is absolutely no pain whatsoever, won't jump without it! I looked at the seatbelt pads at walmart but they have very little padding and are not wide enough to wrap around the straps.

The few Javelins I jumped always were painful for me too... But I always thought it was a sizing thing being "rental" rigs. :P

Have you had someone look at your rig on ya, since you say it is used, to see what might be causing it???

Well, I purchased it from a fellow who bought it new and only did a few jumps on it, i made sure that we where about the same measurements. However, I do have to tighten my leg straps ~all~ the way and I have all this left over slack to wind up. Otherwise the rig doesn't look unsually large for me, i don't know, i've only jumped rentals other than this. I will ask someone expereienced at the DZ next weekend!

I hated my clubs student rigs I used to get some right spankings from them, loads of pain & bruises meant I could only just manage two jumps in a day, one was so bad I thought I was going to pass out from the spanking it gave me, I saw stars, Screamed & I was that badly bruised I could not jump for about two weeks, I got better openings when I packed it myself but it still hurt

I finally got to jump my own rig last week, Zerox container with a Sabre 190 main which I bought secondhand, it was made for someone similar to me in size & weight but even so on my way up to my first jump with it I was terrified waiting to get a spanking from the Sabre, what a joy it was no spanking, nice soft opening, no bruises or pain, done four jumps on it so far & all have been good soft pain & bruiseless on heading openings even though my packing is not the best

Well fitting rig

What a joy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

is there any way I can check myself if my rig is too large? I'm curious now. I do know that I have to tighten my leg straps all the way to fit my legs, but what else should I check? MLW location when I have the rig on?

I was under the impression that it fit me OK, but now it sounds like the leg pain is just a badly fitting rig.

Not knowing or seeing the harness (articulated or standard) makes it abit hard but take notice of where the lateral crosses the MLW. it should be on the hip with the legstrap coming up at an angle. If the junction is too low and the leg strap is close to horizontan around your leg, it will pinch the leg on opening. The leg strap wants to be at angle on opening and will pinch your thigh to get there.

Also, if your leg straps are too long they can slip down and put pressure lower down on your thigh. I have quite a short torso and had this happened every 40 jumps or so until I found a harness that fit correctly. Made turns excruciating.
I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.

You are taking your car keys out of your pocket, right?

:P

Seriously, I'm a very average sized guy, so any rig seems to fit me okay, even when I squeeze into one of my wife's rigs. Have a rigger check the fit. Also, what kind of shape are you in? Sometimes heavier, out of shape people are much less comfortable hanging in harnesses than most people. Over 800 tandems will teach you that. [:/]

Have you talked to a rigger about getting extra padding installed in the leg straps? A friend of mine did that a while back to his rig and it improved his comfort significantly without any other mods. Adding custom telescoping leg pads to address any areas which aren't padded already by the rig can be done too.

Lance

This could be completely different pain, but, the last two jumps I did with just boxers under the jumpsuit.

The first jump my shorts bunched up pretty hard on opening and left some bruising. I haven't had any problems since though.