topper

Caught in the middle FFA & FFU

Guys, (& Gals).

3 newbie divers wanting to do an AFF course in Spain in October. We booked with David Cowman @ Freefall Uni, but then found out that they have moved from Lillo to a new DZ nearer Madrid.

Freefall Addicts are offering to do the AFF course in Lillo and will honour the deposit paid to David.

The new DZ facilities and location for FFU (Ocaña) look really good but lillo has the reputation as a very good DZ to learn at, as is obviously where FFU got it's good reputation from.

FFA also seems to have most of the instructors from FFU.

I am in a spin as to who to go with, all I want is a good holiday with the best training possible.

Has anyone been to FFU Ocaña ? or FFA lillo ?

Cheers
Chris

Hey there, ive been to both dz's. lillo is a great place with friendly staff and good instructors, it also has an established reputation. The problem I see with lillo is its surroundings, the town is small and the onsite cafe isn't always open early and doesnt always stay open late. Ocana however is slightly younger but is growing very fast and aranjuez is only 5 minutes drive (they are offering a free shuttle service in the mornings and evenings), aranjuez has clubs, cafes, hotels, supermarkets, everything you need. Ocana has a large hotel cafe and resteraunt onsite which is very nice as well as a large pool. Its definetly woth a visit in my opinion, you wont regret it.

As far as the instructors go, yes most of FFU's previous instructors are still at lillo but ocana, as well as dave cowman from FFU, has instructors from lets go skydive which ive heard nothing but positive comments about. They are very professional but fun at the same time. You have nothing to worry about in that respect.

Ocana is also a lot closer to madrid than lillo. I would definetly give ocana a go, its going to be the place to be very soon!

edited to add: I dont think FFU has got its reputation just because it was at lillo. Its earned a reputation by being a professional, customer focused and trusted AFF school.

As far as the instructors go, yes most of FFU's previous instructors are still at lillo

All, as far as I could see on the weekend. Dave Cowman is no longer an AFF/I (nothing sinister about it though, I hear he just stopped instructing and his rating lapsed).

I've only been past Ocana briefly so I can't comment on the DZ, but personally I'd rather be in Lillo as a town. That may, of course, just be me :)
Whichever way you decide to go, you're gonna love AFF - especially if you're doing it with friends.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

Just because I'm developing a taste for dinky little Spanish towns, I guess.

I like the fact that there's not much going on in Lillo during the day except sleeping in the shade, and I like the way all the locals come out at night and just sit on chairs in the streets, chewing the fat. I like sitting at my table at Latino's or Meson Las Tapas holding a mug of beer with ice on the outside, watching the little kids running around at 1am because they've all had their siesta in the afternoon... even the old ladies coming out and scolding me for landing in their freshly-plowed field, I like.

I like the restaurant owner who brought me a steak bigger than I was as a pisstake, and then heartily congratulated me (I assume that's what he was doing, I don't speak much Spanish) when against all physics and geometry, I somehow crammed it in my stomach. I like the way everyone in town knows that if you're a foreigner, you're there to skydive, and they still want to try and talk to you anyway. I like the dust and the bleachedness.

*shrug* It's entirely personal taste, but I do really like Lillo.

The DZ is OK too ;)

[edit: speling]
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

I think you'd have a real good time at both places, and the instructors are brilliant and friendly and encouraging at both.

It probably comes down to what you'd like to do there other then skydiving:

Ocana - near a town, swimming pool, sounds like theres a fair bit to do.

Lillo - Not too many places to go, but always a laugh anyway, and i hear FFA have got a bunch of new stuff to do when the weather isn't jumpable, can't say anymore really i don't know enough.

I think if push came to shove these days I'd go for Lillo, but its a completely biassed opinion...

We've decided to go to Ocana for the AFF course, but will probably go down to lillo for a day to see what it's like and meet some more people.............and hopefully get a couple of consol jumps in.

It was a very tricky decision and the main reason we are going to ocana is just that we had already booked with David first, and the DZ does sound much better placed for "non-skydiving" activities.

Thanks for all your views\opinions.

topper.