Fab

demoed a sabre2 150 today

I own a pilot 170...it's a very nice chute but I'm thinking about downsizing so I demoed a pilot 150 last week.the pilot 150 flies pretty sweet...on my third jump I was screaming with joy on the way down :)
I jumped the sabre2 150 today. I only focused on opening/normal flight and landing. I'm demoing this chute for 10 days so next few jumps I will fly it a little bit more agressively :P.

After reading all the stories here on DZ.com about the openings I was ready to demo my brand new smart too :P. Opening was pretty pleasant ...on heading, quick and comfortable..only one end cell closed though but who cares about that. I spend a lot of time packing this chute though making sure everything was neat and symmetrical (flaked the canopy three times because I couldn't get it in the bag properly at first ;) )...also made sure of my body positiong at opening.

Is the pilot faster then the sabre2? I mean is the forward speed higher then the sabre2? I got the impression that the sabre2 is a little bit slower but descents a bit faster. Probably why the sabre2 flares so good? Landing the Sabre2 was sweet....just stepped down...didn't even had to walk/run it out.

I also got the impression that the pilot flew a little bit more crispier..sharper...but have to make a few more jumps on the sabre2 to be sure..I also want to be able to make nice swoops with my next canopy. I understand the sabre2 has a longer recovery arc the the pilot which is a + but then again the pilot seems to be faster. Also need to say the pilot 150 was rather new...the sabre2 appeared to have a few jumps on it.

Am curious about your opinion if you jumped these two canopies.

Thanks

The speed on the two canopies is about the same. The difference you are preceiving is because of the trim of the canopy. The Sabre2 dives more then the Pilot sinc wthe Pilot is trimmed flater(SP). So witht the Sabre you are seeing the ground rush at you faster then the Pilot. Although you are doing roughly the same forward speed.

So in your opinion what is the better canopy for you?
Dom

>Am curious about your opinion if you jumped these two canopies.

I have. Pilot is slightly better behaved, slightly shorter recovery arc, better openings. I have a Pilot 150 I use for wingsuits and bigways for this reason; I prefer its openings and glide. Landings on both are about the same in my experience.

The nitro is from precision right? I'm not allowed to jump that canopy yet until i have 500 jumps :(

No, the Nitron is from Precision, the Nitro is from Hyper Designs. They are really, really nice canopies but are both fully elliptical so if you do jump one be careful out there.

Otherwise you should also look at jumping the Fusion from Precision and the Safire 2 from Icarus. I demoed both of these as well as a Pilot and Sabre 2 and found i like the way they flew a little more. Of course everyone has their favourite ;)

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky