psipike02

AFF6 today

Ok, so i've finally made it to my last two levels of AFF. I'm doing my level 6 today and 7 next week. (I'll be out of town in boston this weekend).

I'm excited about these two levels, but for some reason, today i'm really nervous about them too....i don't understand why. Maybe its a good thing??? I dont think so, but I know i definately need to relax before it. Any advice is welcome and i already know what you guys are gonna probably say, but hey, its reassuring....

Any suggestions on what to do? Also, how in the hell do you do a back loop during freefall?
Puttin' some stank on it.

----Hellfish #707----

One thing that has helped me tremendously so far is dirt diving the dive flow, not freeze framing it, but working methodically through it several times perfectly.

You know your emergency procedures, you know your dive flow and have commited it to muscle memory. You will do great!

Good for you! Don't worry about the flips coming up your instructor will tell you how they work. It is all about getting you unstable and YOU being able to get belly to earth again. I was so amped at the level you are at. I think most of my stress was caused by performance anxiety......wanting to succeed and the idea of being graded really got to me for some reason. In a couple of jumps you will be amazed how much more fun this sport is once you are in charge of your dive flows and objectives. As often as you hear it relaxation is the key and staying aware of your surroundings and altitude is your #1 priority. Have fun!!!!!!

I did level 6 and 7 last week and it was a piece of cake. I was very nervous for level six and I even closed my eyes as I was pushed out. Once I stopped flipping forward I opened my eyes and arched hard and that's all it took. I was smiling big. That jump built a lot of confidence for me. My instructors said that I would have lots of fun on that jump and they were right, even though I didn't believe them at first. It's not a hop n' pop so don't panic if you don't get belly to earth right away. You have time.

The delta track went well too. Towards the end I lost my heading a bit because I started looking around too much instead of locking on to one point on the horizon.

Just remember to check your altimeter frequently, between manuvers for sure! You must maintain altitued awareness. It's still one of the things you'll be tested on through AFF, but you know you should check it anyhow. It's easier to forget on level 6 because the AFF coach won't be in your face for the majority of the skydive.
You'll be fine and you'll have fun. Good Luck!:)

Thanks everyone for the encouragment and advice. I did pass it, so its on to Level 7 now... :ph34r:

My exit was a little weird as i came off the plane and was kicking like i was swimming and then i pointed my toes and all was well. The barrel roll was awesome and my instructor kept thinking that I was either on the point of being out of control/accelerating or getting it. Just when he would start coming towards me, i would arch and flip over. The backflip was sick (even though i think i closed my eyes for some of it...haha) and i didnt put my feet back out right away so I went into a sit....then i got stable and did my track and pulled at 4.5 K. It was alot of fun.

Youre1st, i think i had the same thing as you. I definately had performance anxiety and was very nervous. But it went well, i cant wait to just get out there and chill and do my own objectives.

Thanks everyone for their advice again, you guys are awesome....can't wait to graduate B|
Puttin' some stank on it.

----Hellfish #707----

Congrats bro. Since we've been pretty much going through this at the same time, I'm really glad to see you had so much fun on #6. I had a lot of anxiety that day as well, first solo exit, diving exit, flips and stuff. But once I did it, I have to tell you my confidence grew tremendously, I'm sure yours did too. Also, the first solo was amazing. You really can look around more since you have nothing else to do. Enjoy and keep us posted!!!

I dont think so, but I know i definately need to relax before it.

Put into your dive flow "smile" as the first thing once stable... Like ready - set - go - smile - circle of awareness... :P You can't be nervous and tense when smiling. If you are a "real hard case", you might need to subsidize the smile with a laugh or two.:$

hey! I recently completed my AFP jumps, and I was terrified of the back flip/loop I had to do. I thought that sice i cant do on on the ground, that I would not be ablt to do it in the air. But I found that is is actiually very easy. All you do (in one movement) is throw your head and back bring your legs to your chest and push the air with your arms in the oppsosite direction of your legs. It took me a couple tries to do it, but one you get it..you got it.
"if life gives you lemons make lemonade and if life gives someone vodka, find that person and have a party!"

Jaci