pack40

1st jump of the year = nice loop while deploying

Last saturday I had my first jump in 2004, unfortunately it was not my best/nicest jump in my life.
I made pretty big mistakes, thus I have some questions, I hope somebody with more experience can answer them.

The story will be long.

I have 99 Jumps (10 round static line + 40 round freefall + 49 ram air freefall) The rig was a Raider 225 sqf. in Centaurus container with Swift Plus Reserve and Cypres.

1.) After a really ugly exit, while I thought that I was stable -in fact I was not - I opened. (This is where in my opinion I made the big mistake.) As I was not 100% stable I made a nice loop while the canopy was opening I "looped" through/between the two risers. While I was in the loop I knew I that something is wrong. After the canopy opened, I checked it everything was in order except the risers were twisted. I checked the manouverability of the canopy with turns and flares it was ok, than I landed.

Question 1.) My question is to the "experienced ones" can the twisted risers cause any problems (even if I can turn/flare)?

I have tried a bit to loop back when the canopy was open, but I relised that its not easy. It was not like
lifting my self up -like in a gym- so decided not to do it.

Question 2.) I had altitude, should I have try to loop back?

I do not want to decrease my responsibility, but unfortunately there were some facts that lead to my mistake.

A.) Due to the cloudly weather the jump was scheduled for 1200 meters or if the base of the cloud is lower than to 1000m -the jumpmaster would decide-.
While on the jumprun the jumpmaster realized that the exit altitude will be 1000m, thus the half of the jumpers jumped out. We stayed for the 2nd run. Here came the problems while searching for the LZ the pilot descended to 900m and refused to ascend to 1000m again.

What I feel is my second mistake, better to say more like an attitude or fear that I do not like jumping from altitudes lower than 1200 meters maybe it is stupid but in this case this fear led to a mistake which could have gone really bad. I do not know why it is while jumping static line I had many jumps from 800 meters.

Question 3.) Would it be usefull for me purely psychologically to have some 1000 meter (low altitude jumps)?

OVER

Question 1.) My question is to the "experienced ones" can the twisted risers cause any problems (even if I can turn/flare)?

You answered your own question when you said, "I checked the manouverability of the canopy with turns and flares it was ok, than I landed. "

Question 2.) I had altitude, should I have try to loop back?

No.

1. If you had a malfunction, how difficult would it have been to chop with the additional twist in the risers? Food for thought.

2. Once you have a good canopy overhead, you ought not mess around putting additional stresses and strains on equipment...I mean, the attaching points are just not designed for that.

1000 meters = ~3000 feet. At that point you are 20 seconds from the ground. Its going to take you 10 seconds to reach 2000 feet. You should be able to get stable with in about 2 seconds max out the door. If not you need to do drill dives to work on that in case you have to bail out of the plane due to an emergency at less then 700 meters.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

When i was a studen i think on my 7th jump or so i did the same thing. Flipped right through the risers and had them twisted. I asked my JM if i did the right thing by not cutting away and his answer was "you landed without incident didn't you" Of course i did and i even remember standing it up. He asked me if i did a control check which i did and everything was ok. So if everything works properly even with the twist there is no reason to chop it.

Once you have a good canopy overhead, you ought not mess around putting additional stresses and strains on equipment...I mean, the attaching points are just not designed for that.

I have to question that statement a bit. Seems like the most strain is going to be put on those attachment points when you open at terminal. Anything he might have done after that to try and extricate himself better not be too much strain for the attaching points.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

Sadly I have enough experience of looping through the risers to believe in general it is not a problem, I went through the risers on depolyement on at least 3 occasions as a student, until I hooked my leg one time and snapped a few ligaments, (ALL sub terminal)
Learn to DUMP stable as you will get hurt sooner or later, I did AFF and can now fall stable, dump stable, Remember PULL; PULL ON TIME and PULL STABLE, the first two should save your life the second will prevent opening injuries or a horseshoe

J

"Now I know why the birds fly"
Hinton Skydivers