DaMan

Have you done a demo of your current reserve

The last such post was years ago - just wondering what everyone's thinking now...or if they even know this is an option for them.

I used the Pitts bi-plane ride at WFFC to jump a demo of mine from PD (last time I did a jump on one was before I bought it). Happy to say I landed where I intended with a nice stand up (in front of the spectator area - no pressure :P ). Had it been for real, I'd like to bellieve I could set it down in a back yard just as well.

The PD reps said there are very few jumpers asking for a reserve demo and I just wondered, "why not?" :|. What's your thoughts?
Z-Flock 8
Discotec Rodriguez

Too bad weapons grade stupidity doesn't lead to sterility.

No choice for "no, but I have a real ride on it."

It's a good idea. The more aggressive your wing loading on your reserve (in absolute numbers -- not relative to your experience level), the more important it probably is.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Well I didn't vote since I wouldn't consider it a waste of a jump ticket.
Yes I have jumped the same size and make reserve that are currently in my rigs.
We generally offer reserves (Aerodyne and Performance Designs)as mains to demo here on Safety Day through Square2.

The big question is...why wouldn't you?:)

I've had my reserve out twice and both flew great. Not the best way to find out. When I buy my new rig, I plan to demo my reserve. just to make sure I know how it flies with a little less stress involved so I won't be as stressed the next time I fly it.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

I have two jumps on mine.. and both have been great. I have heard all kinds of things about the Precision reserves.. mine is loaded at 1.5 to 1 and I have experienced none of the issues with stalling or some of the other things I have heard.
My Precision r-Max has flown well and landed me safely 2 times now. The last time was at Lost Prairie.. 3500 ft field elevation just 2 weeks ago.

Yep, Bonnie at Gravity Gear usually does "reserve demo days". I jumped my reserve size before I had my first malfunction, and was very glad for it. I've had 4 sport cutaways since, and three tandem cutaways.

A benefit of jumping the reserve as a main, is when you jump it for real, it is easier, cause you don't land the weight of the reserve too.

you don't land the weight of the reserve...

Sure you do.....it's just over head and not in a lump on yer back!;)

Argh. You know what I meant. But I guess, maybe you didn't.

My main is a 150. My reserve is a 143. Dumping the 150 out of the equation, and the construction of the 143 PDR reserve make it more docile than my main (A Spectre).

Without flaring, I'm pretty sure I would crash the 143 with only blood and bruises, and not broken bones. The four times I've deployed it via cutaway and landed it were easy, stand up landings in varied wind conditions. The weight of the main being gone makes a difference.

It REALLY does on tandem cutaways!

Anyhow, demo jump your reserve before you have to jump it for real. Especially for before that first one!

I demoed a PD126R (which is my current reserve) at Quincy several years ago. It was in the heat and a light wind condition. I found the canopy handled like a reserve should, totally excellent. My gear dealer would not sell the canopy to me unless he was completely confident that I could handle it. After flying this canopy I have total confidence in it. I just don't want a rude awakening if I ever had to use my reserve regardless of size. I've had several discusssions with PD about their reserves and they express the same things you did. They wonder why jumpers won't come up to them at boogies etc. and ask to demo a reserve. You did the right thing by demoeing the reserve canopy. More skydivers should take advantage of it when it's available.

Blue Skies and Safe Landings.

Chris

Argh. You know what I meant. But I guess, maybe you didn't.

;)

I know what you meant...

But about your comment about blood & bruises on your 143...
Was that a consideration when you bought it?

I had a mid air shoulder dislocation a long time ago, couldn't steer or flare...fell over when I landed, but almost landed to soft to PLF. Never wanted a small reserve after that, mine is 45 sqft bigger than my main.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I used the Pitts bi-plane ride at WFFC to jump a demo of mine

Haha! I did the exact same thing! It was cloudy, and I had never jumped the biplane before, so I figured I'd hit two birds with one stone. I demoed the Smart reserve which I was thinking of buying, and I did the biplane. I'm glad I demoed it since I used it twice less than a year later.
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

I would if I could get a PDR193 to demo. The local gear shop offers PD reserve demos up through 176 ft, which is really too small for me. I suppose I could send away to PD for a demo model, but it seems like a hassle. Besides, from what I've seen of PD reserve landings, they're just GREAT. And the 193 is supposedly actually 200 sq ft, which is only 10 sq ft smaller than my Pilot main. So I'm not worrying about it either.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !