skybytch

Jump a newbie this weekend

I agree with Conway...

How do you think half the skydivers got to the point where they are right now...it wasn't by doing alot of solos and two ways with other people off student status.

There are tons of experieced jumpers at "your" dz who do it every weekend (that they aren't training)...i.e. Jim, Conway, Anomaly, Blanton, Tom....and the list goes on..
Blue Skies!!!
Kimmy

Include them in your post-sunset activities as well.

Is that where the "jumping" takes place? B|

Seriously, great idea and a nice reminder. I'm fortunate to be at a small enough DZ where I got to know a lot of the experienced jumpers while I was still a student and now many of them are offering to jump with me (and I'm starting to take them up on their offers). It feels great to be asked, especially when it's specific, like "Next load, let's do this" rather than "Hey we should jump together sometime..."
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

At the recent Easter boogie I completed my last conversion jump (from student gear to my own rig) on the first load.
Very quickly 3 guys offered to take me up to do a few 4 ways.
It was a lot of fun, the guys were a lot bigger than me so I had to ARCH very hard, damn my back as sore. It was a lot of fun though.

there,s a few of us here at the hills that do pretty much that most all the time ,and you know what IT,S FUN as well as it being our turn to return the favor that was done for us through the years and pass on what knowledge & fun we can muff muff keep this sport fun .
till later have fun & love each other seeya mb65johnny gates

A lot of people obviously took offense to that! Sheesh!!!! I wasn't talking about YOU THREE specifically.

All I meant is that training season = it is harder to find others...

Breathe fella's :S

I want to give props to Shari..she has taken out a few newbies recently to get them going...Nice job Shari!!! :)
Oh, and Jim..you rock. I'll be out there today..let's go fly! Yes...I'll get horizontal! ;)

*Please also note that I said MORE out there...I never said we didn't have any.*

:SGood lord. What has this come to? I didn't mentor or do anything special. We stood in the door, fell out and flailed together!!! It was so much fun, we laughed all the way down.

At my jump numbers, I'm still a newbie..so, really there wasn't much to learn - just a little creativity getting out of the door:D, and planning a safe break off for the 2 or 3 of us.

I was going to stay out of this - but Spaceland is full of folks who jump with us newbs....when they aren't training, “darn near” anyone will jump with you. When they are training, that's when its pretty tough!!

My hat's off to those who have helped me through my journey I would list them, but I think I would have to account for almost everyone at the DZ!! Thanks guys!!

Shari is a perfect example of the amount of teaching and learning that goes on at Spaceland...It is phenomenal the progress the she has made due to experienced jumpers who have offered her advice AS WELL AS her putting herself out there as someone who WANTS to learn something and PURSUED it.

Hats off to you Shari!

I think the "Jump with a Newbie" idea is wonderful. Everyone needs to realize that it takes both the experienced jumpers willingness to teach AND the newbies willingness to learn that amounts to this idea working.

IMHO, Spaceland is one of the best places to get that kind of learning!
Blue Skies!!!
Kimmy

Cool Idea, although this is the norm at my little Kansas, one Cessna DZ. By the time someone has anywhere near 100 jumps (for that matter by the time they get their "A" they've been around for months training IAD) with us they're one of the family!

Most people would argue that AFF is the Sh*t without compare, other than maybe the money. I'd say that the more time consuming methods still have a thing or two to offer!
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

Thats what it is all about!! Great stuff.

If anyone is in Spaceland, SKyFest has delegated an organizer to do SCR's from now till the event in July. Go get your first 8 way and then do your ceremony at SkyFest '05 and be a part of the largest SCR ceremony. Our current record is 23 maggots on their knees, we need to break that.
Celebrate one of skydivings oldest traditions.

great idea Lisa!
Pay it Skyward

SKyFest has delegated an organizer to do SCR's from now till the event in July

Whom is the organizer – I would love to get on some SCR action.

I actually received my SCR jump a month or so before Sky Fest last year and received my ceremony at skyfest (alah Aggie Dave). Haa what a time.

Neil to the p

I just wanted to give a big thanks to all the people who helped me along the way. I'm almost to jump number 100 now and I have had plenty of help along the way. Thanks to everyone in Lodi where i did my training, my home DZ in san diego, Byron, Hollister, and of course to the people who put on Bridge the Gap in Elsinore, jumping with you experienced jumpers gets me out of ruts when i get stuck and can't figure out what i'm doin wrong and makes the whole dropzone experience even more enjoyable. thanks again.

woa....that was cool....

Hey all you experienced jumpers, I'm challenging you. Twice.

Challenge #1 -

This weekend find someone with 100 jumps or less and make at least one fun jump with them. Pay for your slot. Do something fun - different exit, rodeo etc. - and keep it no pressure.

Include them in your post-sunset activities as well.

Challenge #2 -

Make a committment to "bring up" one new jumper this season/year. Be this person's skydiving mentor - give them your phone number, jump with them on a regular basis, be available to answer questions, teach and coach (if you have the knowledge/ability to do so), hang out with them at the dz, etc.

Who's up for it?

This is a great idea! Us newbies (92j's and I still consider myself a newbie) find it a bit intimidating to approach experienced folks and ask if we can jump with them, especially when "breaking the ice" is naturally difficult for some of us.

There's several folks at my dz that will seek out newbies and include us in rw jumps or offer coaching/fun jumping.

It helps our confidence tremendously, builds comaraderie and makes us feel much more a part of the family.

thanks for the great suggestion
Michael Hart

Mhartboca - Where were you this weekend? We needed you for some jumps.

We did some 8-way and got a new guy his Eagle.:)
Judy

hey judy... :)
what's an Eagle?

i was saving my money :( going to FL this week (Wed thru Mon) and think I'm gonna try jumping a couple of different dz's ... Zhills and Sebastian (I started at Sebastian) and either Deland or Space Coast...

plus, i'd have wanted to jump at least 5 times this w/e.. which is not a bad thing... but.. number 100 is just around the corner, and I wanted to be sure I did it at WTS with my friends!!
Michael Hart