Elisha

Parasail Skydiving Training (Military)?

This lady from work told me that her son (who is in the military) and I think stationed in GA is going to be doing some training soon. From what she said, it is like parasailing, but you start behind a truck (I think someone posted a movie of this a while back). He will have to somehow "land" whethere they will release the 300 ft rope or just slow/stop the truck I have no idea. I've never heard of this as any official training method (but what do I know). Comments? Just curious.

Yes, the U.S. Air Force and Navy currently utilize land parasailing for training new student pilots on how to control a round canopy and performing proper PLF's. I ought to know, I ran the parasail program (aka parachute familiarization training program) at Columbus AFB, MS from 1997 to 2003. For any further questions you can google the Air Force Instruction which governs the program: AETCI 36-2224.
http://www.aetc.randolph.af.mil/im/pub/afpdl/publications/aetcpubs/aetcins/aetci36-2224.pdf

We used a 300 rope and pulled the students behind a pickup truck to an altitude of approx. 150 feet before the operator on the truck released the rope.

Buck

We used a 300 rope and pulled the students behind a pickup truck to an altitude of approx. 150 feet before the operator on the truck released the rope.

For those who may not realize this, please do not do this with a square canopy. There have been a number of jumpers seriously hurt when they (for all practical purposes) hooked-in while trying to parasail behind a truck.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

We used to do that at the USAF Survival School as part of the Water Survival training at Homestead AFB. We would tow them to 700 ft behind a 30' Bertram tow boat.. they would release and go thru a set of procedures...deploying life raft seat kit... simulate deploying( already deployed LPU,s).... releasing the covers from J-1 releases (Capewells )or covering the release on MB type until feet wet then chop the parasail away.

Lots of fun.. god I love water landings to this day.

Done it! It's in my year end video too. What a blast. I did it when I was in API in Pensacola, FL. We went over to Horak Field (Emerald Coast Skydiving). It's pretty quality for someone who has never jumped before, and educational for me as I have never jumped a round.

"Let the misinterpretation and attacks begin."