FrenchyDiver

In the event of loosing parts after a cutaway

After reading a few other threads, I was wondering how many jumpers do carry a spare reserve kit to replace lost parts after a cutaway? Such as:
- Cutaway handle
- Reserve ripcord
- Free bag
- Reserve pilot chute

Usually the above stuff is the one most commonly lost.

Hispas Brothers President
HISPA #2,

I really really need to get a spare reserve handle, as my MLW is really really short, and my handle is not exactly a stock length. It isnt something custom, but most gear shops dont have it.
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

- Cutaway handle
- Reserve ripcord
- Free bag
- Reserve pilot chute

Since CRW tends to be hard on gear, my spares bag has all of the above plus:

- main risers (type 8 and type 17)
- #3 & #5 rapide links
- cloth slider bumpers
- mesh slider
- freestow main bag
- several main bridles
- several main pilot chutes
- pullout handle
- hook knife

Basically everything except the container, main, and reserve. I've had occasion to need everything on the list except the reserve ripcord and cutaway handle. :S

Bob

I have not yet had a cutaway, but one of my friends had one a while back, which turned out to be one of the most expensive mals I have ever heard of!!

He had a suspected baglock and cutaway and his reserve came out fine. Unfortunately, the canopy, still in the bag managed to land in a HUGE field full of rape seed plants at least 6-7ft high! So we spent hours looking for this small black bag in this huge field, with no success!

He lost everything apart from his free bag including both handles! His Cypres was in need of servicing and batteries aswell, and now obviously a reserve repack and a whole new main canopy! So he's been working his ass off trying to his kit back up to code with handles etc... or will buy a whole new rig altogether!

We learnt a few days ago that his canopy had turned up shredded in the blades of a combine harvester! [:/]

It was a really nice new sabre aswell!! So the answer to your question is that he had no spares at all and hasn't jumped since! What a bummer!:S

He had a suspected baglock and cutaway and his reserve came out fine. Unfortunately, the canopy, still in the bag managed to land in a HUGE field full of rape seed plants at least 6-7ft high! So we spent hours looking for this small black bag in this huge field, with no success!

I know what you mean. I had a baglock once (my only cutaway). The main landed in a cornfield. Fortunately I was lucky enough to see more or less were it landed and we were able to find it. One of my buddies even found the cutaway handle while walkint towards the minivan who came to pick me up. Yeah, I was lucky, all the goodies were found the same day.

Hispas Brothers President
HISPA #2,

One of my friends cutaway from a baglock over a cornfield. Looked for days, asked the owner of the farm where he thought it landed, everything, no luck. It turned up a year later, still in the bag, in the guy's barn. (or at least that's when Farmer McNasty decided to giveit back:S) And guess what? The canopy was fine!

I learned a hard way...........

I lost everything in another country over the holidays.. everyone was closed and no where to get replacements........ man if fucking sucked... it tooke me almost two weeks to get replacements.. I always have a spare of everything at least at home in my closet ready to go when I travel.

I'm not a rigger but wont's you get a longer life out of your spring if it is not compressed. Do you relieve the tension when not traveling (on your spring tht is)? I ask because I just replaced my original as it way deemed rather weak after nine years of being cooped up (except occasional outbursts).

I'm not a rigger but wont's you get a longer life out of your spring if it is not compressed. Do you relieve the tension when not traveling (on your spring tht is)? I ask because I just replaced my original as it way deemed rather weak after nine years of being cooped up (except occasional outbursts).

You might be right, but no I don't 'relieve the tension' ...to much trouble:P

Who deemed yours bad after 9 years, and what kind was it ?

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

No, I don't think so. Spring steel does not lose it's elasticity unless stretched past a certain point. This question has been asked and answered in the gun world for years, guns having a large collection of springs that take a beating. Magazine springs stay compressed for decades, and show no ill effects from it.

No, I don't think so. Spring steel does not lose it's elasticity unless stretched past a certain point. This question has been asked and answered in the gun world for years, guns having a large collection of springs that take a beating. Magazine springs stay compressed for decades, and show no ill effects from it.

I had the same thoughts, which is why I was wondering what kind of pilotchute he had...I've got an OLD OLD Hot Dog that's in a spare rig that still jumps 6-8 feet when pulled. And plenty of .45 mags that have been loaded for decades and never malfunction.

When I compared the old sprin to the new spring there was a one to thre inch difference in height. Both were the same age. The major difference would be in the way they had been stored. One in a rig the other in a box. I wouldn't mind hearing from other riggers to see if they have come across this or if this is unusual.

I have a spare freebag and pilot chute for my Infinity. I only have that because it was returned to me after I had already bought a new one after my chop last year over the woods at Jumptown.

I just had another chop 2 weeks ago and my freebag landed about 100 yards away as did my main.

After 8 cutaways.. I have yet to toss a single handle.. whether it was on a belly wart.. or on my latest chop in my Infinity.

When I compared the old spring to the new spring there was a one to three inch difference in height.

I'm not questioning your decision, if I had a spare and it made me feel better to change them out I would.

Instead of height difference, I wonder what the difference was in terms of strength, or 'kick' if you will...a fish scale pull test to see the difference in compression required.

I'm just curious as to how weak it got over how much time, in semi-scientific evaluation terms.

I didn't measure the height of the launch. My rigger (always on top of his game) noticed that my pilot chute only popped about a foot or so when he test fired the reserve. I didn't ask him about what height it shoul attain, he just said that he thought it should be replaced. I understand my gears function fairly well but I have never had any rigger training so I didn't ask about specific questions. I have always felt that if I had to question my rigger's advice all the time then I probably needed to find a rigger I could trust. I do ask other questions as they arise, but something like this seemed common sense. For the record, this guy is experienced and very well respected in our area. I don't think anyone has ever had a bad word about his work or his ethics. One of the most anal riggers I have ever met. A group of people were talking about going to Norway to BASE jump and this guy perks up in the corner and says "That sounds cool. I would love to log a repack in Norway", right then I knew that this was a guy that I wanted working on my gear.