Sinead

Insuring your rig??

When travelling what do people reccommend when it comes to insuring your rig? All company's I found so far dont cover for anymore than €1000.

Does anyone bother insuring there rig? The trip is a yr+++
We've insurance to cover any sports related accidents but didly for anything else.

I realise this is also the wrong place to be asking for info on places but I'll chance my arm:P we're heading to New Zealand via Thailand and Sydney, any reccommendations on DZ's. We're hoping to get some sort of work (most likely packing, manifest etc ,we're ony starting out at this game;)
Is it pretty much chance your arm when you get to a dz and talk your way into a job??

When i came to the states a few years ago they had a package where you could upgrade. I believe they covered items up to 2000 quid. I used the policy whilst back packing round Australia.
http://www.skydivethefarm.com

do you realize that when you critisize people you dont know over the internet, you become part of a growing society of twats? ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?

My rig is insured and each item is scheduled, container,main,reserve,aad,alti,helmut,jumpsuit.

The premium is $117 for the year, no deductible.
approx $6000. of stuff. it's an ALL peril policy, which
means the policy will pay regardless of what happens
to it.

When travelling what do people reccommend when it comes to insuring your rig? All company's I found so far dont cover for anymore than €1000.

My home owners policy covers $50K contents loss at home, 10% of that while traveling which is $5K. An extra cost rider boosts firearms coverage to $5K from the default $1K.

My renters policy was the same before I bought.

I take one skydiving rig or two-base rigs with me as cary-on luggage (that's what fits in the maximum sized bag allowed) when flying so my chances of using the insurance are lower.

My renter's policy worked the same before that.

My rig is insured and each item is scheduled, container,main,reserve,aad,alti,helmut,jumpsuit.

to it.

Through whom is this coverage?
cavete terrae.

just remember that your policy covers "named perils"
Not all perils. Such as if you lose your main due to a cutaway that is not covered because it is not a named peril like fire,theft,water. My policy will cover
my rig even if I lose or misplace it, better yet is that
if you have to cut a tree down to get your canopy and in doing so it tears the hell out of it, I will get paid for repair or full replacement cost. How about if
my rig is in my trunk and some chemical such as battery acid destroys my rig, I am covered. Getting back to a cutaway, It HAS to be UNintentional such as a freefall collision or an RW jump gone bad. The
bottom line is that anything that happens to my rig
is covered in full. I know it;s hard to believe but do your homework. For $117 / year it's nice piece of mind.

Is there as specific line item on your home/renter’s insurance for insuring your rig? Or are you talking about a separate policy for just this?

I ask because when I started skydiving, I asked my State Farm agent here in FL about this and they would not even touch coverage for my rig. (I was specifically asking about theft.) I would like to go back to them armed with some type of evidence that State Farm does cover rigs.

Thanks
Jim

I have my equipment covered with my homeowners policy, it was no problem. I'm with Allstate. They also have my life and auto insurance business.
We have it covered as "sporting equipment". My coverage is up to $5,000.00 per item, and $25,000.00 max. So I'm covered for multiple rigs/canopies and it also will cover accesories like helmets, cameras and the like. We did this because we weren't sure if the company would consider a complete rig as one item or four separate items. I think it costs around $110.00 per year, and covers me no mater where I am, home at the DZ or abroad, and covers just about any type of loss. (fire, theft, weather, etc.) I also made sure it was repalcement value, not actual value. So if my tired old rig gets stolen, I get paid to replace it with brand-new stuff. I'm not sure how Florida P&C laws differ from Illinois law though.

Easy Does It

Ah State farm - name of policy, it all makes sense!!
These are all insured under home insurance but does anyone know of a travel insurance that covers rigs, ie for someone of the homeless variety :( and all they own in this world is their rig ;)

to it.

I just spoke with a State Farm Insurance agent and they told me that their underwriters would not let them insure skydiving equipment under an all peril policy. They said that it is excluded from coverage due to its high risk nature. They suggested that I contact an independent agent and see if they had an underwriter that was willing to write a high risk all peril policy. Something more high risk than what they were willing to do. So I don't know, if anyone else has any ideas please let me know.
Blueskies,
Hambone

Yeah...You need to grow up. -Skymama

I also have an Allstate Homeowners Policy and the coverage is called SP - Extended Coverage On Sports Equipment, I also have the $5000 per item limit and $25000 max limit which is the higest you can purchase here. It covers all my rigs, canopies, helmets, dytters, jumpsuits etc. It also covers you
anywhere in the world on an all an peril basis which includes mysterious disappearance, basically the best coverage you can get anywhere. It is subject to your policy deductible which in my state is your choice between $250 to $3000. As for cameras they are excluded as there is another coverage they will fall under which is Coverage CA - Estended Coverage on Cameras which pertains to all video and still cameras, flashes, lenses, remote cables and the like. The cost for my extended sports equip coverage is $56/year additional. More than worth it. I talked to the Market Claim Rep and she seemed to think the rig would be considered 4 single items but the difference in premium of $2500 item limit $10000 max is only $22/ year so I bought the whole show. That's my scenario yo.

to it.

I just spoke with a State Farm Insurance agent and they told me that their underwriters would not let them insure skydiving equipment under an all peril policy. They said that it is excluded from coverage due to its high risk nature. They suggested that I contact an independent agent and see if they had an underwriter that was willing to write a high risk all peril policy. Something more high risk than what they were willing to do. So I don't know, if anyone else has any ideas please let me know.
Blueskies,
Hambone

Ditto :(

TV's got them images, TV's got them all, nothing's shocking.