Cloudi

PD Reserve Rocks!!

Well, I finally found the time to demo my reserve, but not in the way I had planned. :o

I had my first cutaway over the weekend (yes, of course I bought beer!) and finally got to see what color my PR-176 is: yellow. It was beautiful and flew and handled very similar to my Spectre (when it is behaving, of course). ;) The only real difference that I noticed was how much more quickly the reserve descended compared to my main (F111 vs. ZP/176 vs. 190). It opened quick, but softly, on heading, and toggle input provided similar results that I'm used to from my main. During my control check after opening (force of habit had me reaching to stow my slider...duh), I took the toggles down as far as I would for my Spectre for a landing, looking for the stall point & it responded beautifully. In other words, it didn't stall. I landed very softly on my feet in the main landing area with a big smile on my face. B| What a nice ride!

Thank you so much PD for making such a reliable reserve and thank you Louie from RWS for the save!! :)

Kim
Watch as I attempt, with no slight of hand, to apply logic and reason.

I had a quick opening (further proof--not that I needed it--that I need a reline) that immediately went into a fast, right, diving spin. I tried to correct it by pulling on the left rear riser with no results, and it was speeding up. By that time, I had done 3 revolutions. I looked at my toggles (which looked stowed to me) and was just getting ready to unstow them when "Rantoul" popped in my head. I decided that enough time had passed, said see ya, and chopped. Of course, I heard all the "shoulda, coulda, woulda's" later on the ground about releasing the toggles first, but I'm not second guessing it. When my main was recovered, it was determined that I had, in fact, had a brake fire. Maybe next time I'll spend more time with it, but for my first real malfunction, I felt like I did the right thing. As a side note, I've had a brake fire before that I was able to quickly control by grabbing the rear riser and unstowing the brakes. This one was fast and was approaching ugly too quickly for my taste.

I let go of both my handles and didn't even realize it until someone asked me on the ground. Guess I threw them "like a bitch" just like I said I would! :D Another goal for "next time." :$

Kim

Hey Kim, good job - proud of you!!
You did the right thing - and gained more experience that no doubt will come in handy in the future.

By the way, there is this place in DeLand that offers relines. I think they are called PD or something. Maybe you know where they are. Maybe you should bring your Spectre there soon.... ;)

Blue ones,
Kolla
Blue Skies Magazine

Of course, I heard all the "shoulda, coulda, woulda's" later on the ground about releasing the toggles first, but I'm not second guessing it.

Good. Don't let anyone say shit to you. You made a decision, and it was the right one. You got rid of a malfunctioning main and saved your life. Good job.

I hate it when people try to second guess a chop. They weren't there; nothing they say can possibly help or change the situation.
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. --Douglas Adams

I hate it when people try to second guess a chop. They weren't there; nothing they say can possibly help or change the situation.

I don't think anyone should be given shit for saving their own ass when they thought they needed to in whatever way worked. I do think that discovering what could have been done differently - if anything - is valuable, not only for the person who chopped but also for those listening to/participating in the discussion. Every opportunity to preplan how you want to react in a given situation is a good thing.

I don't think anyone should be given shit for saving their own ass when they thought they needed to in whatever way worked. I do think that discovering what could have been done differently - if anything - is valuable, not only for the person who chopped but also for those listening to/participating in the discussion. Every opportunity to preplan how you want to react in a given situation is a good thing.

I agree 110%...i've been at some DZ's where first thing people ask is what was it and then the monday morning QB's set in with how THEY would've done it. SOOOO LAME!!

Good job and glad your reserve works.:)

Marc
otherwise known as Mr.Fallinwoman....

You did the right thing ! B|

My first instructor had a fluke thing happen to him once and had to decide whether to ride a canopy down while holding a brake down to keep it straight or chop. He didn't hesitate to chop and when I asked him why he said "why should I risk landing a parachute that is flawed when I have a good one right on my back?"

I had big time fear about using my reserve. I used to think to myself (and I know it doesn't make sense) "what if my reserve doesn't work?" UGH!

Now you KNOW you can do it and that your gear works. Sheesh, who doesn't need THAT kinda comfort?!

I do think that discovering what could have been done differently - if anything - is valuable, not only for the person who chopped but also for those listening to/participating in the discussion. Every opportunity to preplan how you want to react in a given situation is a good thing.

I agree with you on that. In fact, many of the people who said anything remotely similar to "shoulda" prefaced it with, "what would you do differently next time, if anything?" No one really gave me any shit. Just the usual good natured ribbing that I'm used to receiving and that I'm pretty good at dishing out myself. :ph34r:

That's why I say "maybe" I'll spend that extra couple of seconds to unstow my brakes before I declare it a lost cause "next time." Maybe not. It was in a very fast & aggressive turn compared to a brake fire I had experienced before where I was quickly able to control it by grabbing the rear riser to straighten it out & then release my brakes. In addition, I didn't "plan" to throw my handles, nor do I remember letting them go either. I will try to hold onto them next time if it seems reasonable. I'm fine with my decision (I'm still here to talk about it aren't I?) and I have learned tons from it that I hope to keep in mind in the event it should happen again. ;)

Oh yes, and most important: I plan to stow my brake lines and toggles better too! :)

Kim

Thanks Doug. Believe me, if anyone had said my cutaway was "stupid" or anything like that, I probably would have told them to piss off. Everyone had an opinion, but they were all just being helpful. You're right, too. They weren't there. It's my main, my rig, my reserve, my life. It's my party and I'll chop if I want to! :P

Kim