Brian1

new jumper

Hey all I am a new jumper I have made 1 tandem and 2 s/l jumps at a very small DZ. My question is I think about jumping all the time but I worry about malfunctions, I have read much material and watched the breakaway videos trying to educate myself the best I can but I am very nervous about my first delay jumps. Any suggestions? [:/]

Every time I am on the plane:

- I give myself a gear check.
- I give my friends a gear check.
- I practice my EPs.

Every time.

Stay scared, you gotta respect the sport.

I agree with all except: Stay scared

Don't stay scared. Stay current, trained and focused.
Fear will never be your friend. It is something that must be overcome, tucked away in the back and managed. Fear tries to rob you of your other senses. Don't let it win. Use good sense to determine your limits. If we based our decisions on fear, we would never jump for the first time.

.02$

I agree with all except: Stay scared

Don't stay scared. Stay current, trained and focused.
Fear will never be your friend. It is something that must be overcome, tucked away in the back and managed. Fear tries to rob you of your other senses. Don't let it win. Use good sense to determine your limits. If we based our decisions on fear, we would never jump for the first time.

.02$

That reminds me of a quote I heard once, not sure where...

The only difference between fear and respect is knowlegde.

Whats up man? The first jump is easy, you are so sensory overloaded that you will do just about anything. The 2nd or 3rd jump and above you will become more aware of the things around you, allowing you to feel some anxiety. You always fear the unknown. The only way to comabat the fear is to do exactly what you are doing. Learn everything you can, practice your emergency procedures and relax. You should always feel a little anxious, that is normal,that is what keeps us safe.
You have some of the best instructors(JP) so trust them.

I'll see you out at the DZ this weekend.
-Daniel "The Barefoot Guy"

BSBD
Home of the Alabama Gang

That reminds me of a quote I heard once, not sure where...

The only difference between fear and respect is knowlegde.

i like this quote about courage and fear:
“Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear."

:)

"The brave may not live forever, but the cautious do not live at all."

im a student too and i worry about what will happen when i eventually have to do my malfuction drill, best thing i can say is practice it whenever you get chance, i go through it a few times with my instructors every time i plan to do a jump(even whent the weather isnt looking great)
LittleDJ!!- There is no such thing as a perfectly good aircraft!!!

Not so as to be misunderstood. I am not fearless. I am afraid of commitment, and asking for directions as is any self respecting man.

There is a difference (in my mind at least) of being scared and fear. We all feel fear at time, but we are not all scared. When I hear "scared" I start thinking that the scared individual is starting to approach panic. When I hear "fear" it makes me think that the individual knows that what they are about to do requires careful thought and consideration because there are risks involved. Maybe it is just semantics.

I started this sport like everyone else. I had "door fear" that bordered on "shit scared". I got through it. If I couldn't progress past this stage, then I don't think it would've been healthy to continue in the sport.

Knowlege and training will help you be unafraid,. The key is not to become complacent and lose all your fear.

This probably won't clear up my position on this subject, and for that I apolagize. I am not known to be an articulate orator.

Hey! I agree with you I think scared makes us dangerous and fear makes us cautious and there is a big difference. I also think there is another word that is very important in this sport and that is respect.*** why tiptoe through life to arrive at death safely! :)

Have you considered an intentional cut away? I know how you feel, i sweated bullets until my first cut-away and reserve deployment. But when that time came, my training instincts kicked in automatically. You should practice your emergency procedures constantly don't ever become complacent. You will be fine. Be confident, ask questions from your intructors and do all the research you can. Take Care, and continue to be safe.
-Richard-
"You're Holding The Rope And I'm Taking The Fall"