linc_harris

Are Gas Prices Affecting Your Jumping Activities?

Since it's 120 miles to the DZ, I won't drive on crappy weather days just to hang out anymore, but if it's jumpable, I'm going. So it hasn't technically affected my jumping activities, but it's affected how willing I am to go to the DZ.
cavete terrae.

Nope.

I get 25 MPG in my Honda SUV, so the 120 mile trip to the DZ and back only burns 5 gallons of gas.

Those 5 gallons now cost me $15, where it used to cost me $10. I can afford the $5.

I'm insulated against jump ticket increases too, since my DZ offered the opportunity to "lock in" at the start of the season by buying a 100 jump package.

I don't drive to work, so I don't have a huge daily gas expense.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Nope. I get about 45mpg, and E85 is running about $2.20 a gallon here.

Do you have one of the flex-fuel Fords or something else?

My DZ is just about 50 miles away (100 miles round trip). At 45 mpg
and $2.50/gal (I live in the middle of the country in a city with two
refineries in it), this costs me about $5.50. My lifetime average (2001
Prius) is 45 mpg; best tank ever 51 mpg; worst tank ever 37 mpg.
However, I did get new tires about a month ago which seem to be
dropping my average to around 42 mpg, which would put my round-trip
cost up to $6. Since I'm still going through AFF (it's taking me a while),
this pales in comparsion to the cost of two or three jumps a weekend.

For those of you keeping score at home, my numbers are 80 km/160 km,
5.2 l/100 km, €0.54/liter or £0.36/liter, €4.50 or £3.06, 4.6 l/100 km,
6.4 l/100 km, €4.91 or £3.33 .

Eule
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.

yep the price at the bowsers here goes up every week lately even though they've still got the old fuel in them.

This makes it less fun driving to the DZ or any where else.
I've noticed there's fewer cars on the road and most people seem to have slowed down a bit....especially large 4WD's. There's also less motor homes getting about.

[:/] The fuel price future looks bleak here with the current gov.in charge . People predicting (some say they know ) that it'll be $3 litre ($13.50 gal) within 2 .5 years. Paid over $1.20 litre today and that was advertised as cheap.

I get paid to jump so the price hasn't really affected me that much. I know dz's around the area who have had their jump ticket prices go up recently because of the oil price hikes - or at least that is what the dz owners are using as the excuse for the increase.

Oh and for those guys and girls from the USA, here in Australia at the moment on the road we are paying an average of $1.15 a LITRE of unleaded fuel. This is Queensland's price as well - I think in other states of Australia it is actually a lot higher than this again.

BSBD! -Mark.

"A Scar is just a Tattoo with a story!!!"

for the time being it doesnt effect my jumping much b/c I work as a vidiot. even though I dont take money from the dz unless I HAVE TO. I figure it still effects my decision making.

I.E. if there are alot of tandems on both days I will rent the hotel for the night for $40 rather then spend 50 in gas.

but since I was going to the dz anyway (work or fun) it doenst do much because I have money opn the books.

it still pisses me off to have to pay $3 for no reason
My photos

My Videos

Caspar, While I have to admit that a bunch of folks here drive cars that are oversized for their needs, some of us need a larger vehicle because of the qork we do. I am an electrician and need to haul around some tools and such. The vehicle I drive gets 20-22 mile per gallon on a good day. 15 in the winter. I spend about $800 a month in gas right now and thats after cutting back to two days a month at the DZ. I work there but I can't count on that income due to weather so I just don't go. Its about 250 mile round trip for me so its at the point where its not worth it to go.
The biggest problem with the transportation system in this country is that we no longer have mass transit except in the bigger cities. Fifty to sixty years ago we had more commuter trains and buses running in from the suburbs than we do now. In my area we are down to zero. And due to the distances involved with most peoples commutes and the type of driving, a hybrid turns into just an underpowered gasoline fueled auto. You could get the same mileage without the extra weight or expense out of an economy car.

yep the price at the bowsers here goes up every week lately even though they've still got the old fuel in them.

This makes it less fun driving to the DZ or any where else.
I've noticed there's fewer cars on the road and most people seem to have slowed down a bit....especially large 4WD's. There's also less motor homes getting about.

[:/] The fuel price future looks bleak here with the current gov.in charge . People predicting (some say they know ) that it'll be $3 litre ($13.50 gal) within 2 .5 years. Paid over $1.20 litre today and that was advertised as cheap.

We pay over $7 a gallon here in the UK. I would give my left testicle to have gas at $3/gallon

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

What size is the engine in your truck? Most domestic electricians I know use small car-style vans (eg. Renault Kangoo) with 1.6-2.0l engines, and they get 30mpg+.

edit: I should note that this is in Ireland and the UK, not in Australia, where people are also addicted to trucks.

Not Yet, If it gets mch worse, then buying a tent and staying at the DZ all weekend will work out better than driving there friday night, saturday, and again on sunday.
---------------
"Once you find a job that you like, you never have to work another day in your life"

Nope. Can't bring myself to squeeze me and all my stuff into something that size. Don't think it could tow very much weight either.

From my understanding of hybrids most of the fuel savings come from non-highway type driving. Is this now an incorrect belief?

1991 Honda Civic I paid $400 for. It gets 45 mpg on the highway as long as I don't push over 80 mph.

I drive back and forth to work for two weeks on a 10 gallon tank of gas.

It takes me under a 1/2 tank of gas to drive the 200 plus miles to the farm.

Fuel going up means it takes an extra 2 or 3 dollars a tank to fill up, so Gas prices aren't making much of a difference to me, yet.