jlmiracle

Gas shortage - will your DZ being flying

All I know is that I just tried to buy airline tickets to go back home today... To get home, a trip that not long ago cost me around $300 was quoted at almost $1000... Needless to say, I'm aborting that trip.

:(

FGF #???
I miss the sky...
There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary and those who don't.

...(currently$22)I am also afraid that $25 a jump is gonna happen soonest rather than later?

I don't see why not. Most Dz's are subsidizing the cost of fun jumpers with the small margin from Tandems and AFF. I know it sucks, but we may see $25.00 per lift tkt sooner then later. :|

Assume they DO have Jet-A, but it goes up a lot?

What is this "jeta" of which you speak? Is that something for the funny airplanes that don't have the
spinny things on the front?

No worries at the DZ I jump at. The DZO may recruit a few more of us than usual to help wind the
big rubber band really tight so we can get more altitude, but other than that it's business as usual.

Some real data: Last Friday (26 August), car gas was selling for about US$2.50/gal . The FBO at the
airport I jump at was selling 100LL for US$3.25/gal. By Monday 29 August, car gas was up to about
US$2.70/gal, Wednesday 31 August US$2.90/gal, Friday 2 August US$3.20/gal. I don't have an
updated price for 100LL, but since it was running about US$0.75/gal more than mogas, I wouldn't
be surpised to find it in the neighborhood of US$3.95/gal on Saturday 3 September. On the other
hand, the FBOs at the big general aviation airport here in Tulsa (KRVS) are still advertising US$3.28/gal
100LL on AirNav and both are "guaranteed" for whatever that's worth.

For those in other parts of the world: at Friday's exchange rates, US$2.50/gal is about 39 UK pence/liter,
53 Euro cents/liter, or 86 Oz cents/liter. US$3.20/gal is about 46 UK pence/liter, 67 Euro cents/liter, or
Oz $1.11/liter. I read a BBC story in the past few days that "one pound per liter" is the next
psychologically important price being approached there; this is equivalent to around US$6.50/gallon (!).

Eule

My home DZ upped its regular jump prices from $19 to $20 in light of the increased fuel prices. However, this past weekend was $15 per jump all weekend (3 days)! B| Gotta love our DZO!
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

[:/] >:( wow.... well then i guess it is a good Idea that the Chief Instructor @ our club ordered and had delivered about 2,000 gallons of Jet A on August 31st...... good move...

" too bad the Dow Jones Ind. Average doesn't climbbbbbb the way gasoline prices have...."
To Quote Al Pacino in some old movie, whose title I forget,,,:S " Somethin' Reallllly Realllly WRONG!! Is going On around here!!!!!" \
It was the flick where he is a lawyer and is defending some scumbag judge, who is played by John Forsythe..
.... help me w/ the title..??.:o

Some real data: Last Friday (26 August), car gas was selling for about US$2.50/gal . [...] By
Monday 29 August, car gas was up to about US$2.70/gal, Wednesday 31 August US$2.90/gal, Friday 2
September US$3.20/gal.

Update: Today (Tuesday 6 September) it was back down to about US$2.95/gal. I don't know what the FBO
at the DZ airport was doing this weekend, but the pilot is a flight instructor at a local university and he
said 100LL hadn't gone up more than a few cents. He remarked that avgas was actually cheaper than
mogas, which doesn't happen very often. I didn't hear anybody at the DZ gritching about jump tickets
going up, so I don't think they did. (I'm a problem child, still going through AFF, so my jump tickets have
a little more margin in them, I think.)

For non-US readers: It's normal for our gas prices to go up by 5 or 10% around the Labor Day holiday -
it's a three-day weekend and lots of people go out of town. (Labor Day was 5 Sep this year.) The prices
come back down fairly quickly in the week after the holiday. This year it went up more than that, but the
"normal" holiday increase is making the overall increase look worse.

Eule
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.