jlmiracle

Gas shortage - will your DZ being flying

I'm extremely concerned about the "Possible" raise in aviation gas after Katrina.Suspect our Airport Manager to give us the bad news this weekend which will also directly have to be passed on to our club members in higher per jump cost?(currently$22)I am also afraid that $25 a jump is gonna happen soonest rather than later?

Why would that stop my DZ from flying?

Because of a SHORTAGE, not because of the price.

It's not hype where I live. I guess it was just a joke at the gas station that said it was out of Gas, I guess it was just a joke or "bad rumor" at another gas station that would only give me $20.00 worth of gas. As another poster stated, we couldn't get gas delivered last weekend.

Its real, not an internet fantasy.

Judy
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Gas was $4.00 per gallon near my house last night. They were out of regular.

The news says this is due more to logistical problems around getting gas to retailers rather than an actual overall shortage of gas. The supply is there (it exists), it is just not right there (at the gas station), if you know what I mean. I tend to believe this.

I am hopeful that some of this will resolve itself in the next few days.

----------------------------------
www.jumpelvis.com

It's not hype where I live. I guess it was just a joke at the gas station that said it was out of Gas, I guess it was just a joke or "bad rumor" at another gas station that would only give me $20.00 worth of gas. As another poster stated, we couldn't get gas delivered last weekend.

The irony is that the shortage was brought by people thinking there would be a big shortage.

Yes, Katrina did enough damage to make gas less available. However, the panic that it would run out is what made it run out.

If people had chilled and not paniced there would have been no problem. However, once EVEYONE tried to buy as much gas as they wanted it lead to stations running out and rationing.

This led to even MORE panic.

So in the end we did run out, but only because people in a panic ran out and bought all of it.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

The irony is that the shortage was brought by people thinking there would be a big shortage.

Yes, Katrina did enough damage to make gas less available. However, the panic that it would run out is what made it run out.

If people had chilled and not paniced there would have been no problem. However, once EVEYONE tried to buy as much gas as they wanted it lead to stations running out and rationing.

This led to even MORE panic.

So in the end we did run out, but only because people in a panic ran out and bought all of it.

You will not get anywhere trying to change human nature, whether it's related to panic over shortages, wing loading of canopies, or "improper" use of AADs. Human nature is hard wired into our brains by millions of years of evolution (or by the "designer", if you prefer).

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

What about upcoming boogies/events? If they advertise (e.g. $15 to 15k), will they raise the prices? At this moment, I'm thinking about Monday and the Byron Boogie at the end of September, but it applies to the others as well of course. DZOs?

What about upcoming boogies/events? If they advertise (e.g. $15 to 15k), will they raise the prices? At this moment, I'm thinking about Monday and the Byron Boogie at the end of September, but it applies to the others as well of course. DZOs?

Spence posted - hopfully jokingly about having a NO JUMP boogie. [:/]

Its gonna be tough.
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Spence posted - hopfully jokingly about having a NO JUMP boogie. [:/]
How much are no jump tickets?
Its gonna be tough.

http://www.skydivethefarm.com

do you realize that when you critisize people you dont know over the internet, you become part of a growing society of twats? ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?

How much are no jump tickets?

:D How much would you pay?

Well, sorry folks for the ever so slight tangent. Can you answer my original question though? Assume they DO have Jet-A, but it goes up a lot? Is it likely for them to substantially raise jump ticket prices in the meantime even if they had already advertised something different?

Would you want the DZ to lose money?

Think about it - if they have to buy gas for what would equate $23 per jumper per load - would you get angry if they asked you to pay that or would you pitch a bitch about the advertised price of $15?

Big deal!

Jen
Arianna Frances

Can you answer my original question though?

Not really because I am not having a boogie, but like Mailin said, do you expect them to take a loss? I'm sure they would love to be able to honor there advertised prices when there wasn't a national disaster going on.

Are you going to bitch if they don't honor those advertised prices?

J

Would you want the DZ to lose money?

Think about it - if they have to buy gas for what would equate $23 per jumper per load - would you get angry if they asked you to pay that or would you pitch a bitch about the advertised price of $15?

Big deal!

Jen

I just want to know what to expect. If I was planning on paying the advertised $15 and then I see $23, then I may choose not to jump. I'm more asking the experienced ones here what to expect.

Since this is really the first time in more than 25 years something like this has happened in the US I doubt you will find experience people who know what to expect?

You should call the Dz rather than post that question here.

Jen
Arianna Frances

Bloomberg forcasts a 50 cent increase in the cost of gas.

Why would that stop my DZ from flying?

Stop feeding the hype. http://www.snopes.com/politics/gasoline/katrina.asp

_Am

Is that a $.50 increase or a 50% increase? A big difference. Gas prices here are up about $.25/gal in the past week. More to come, I'll bet!

Rumors focusing on gas prices claimed that the cost of gasoline would be increasing by up to 50% to 70% over (already high) pre-Katrina prices:

Bend over and grab your ankles, the price is gonna give you a slight pounding sensation in your ARS.

Fire Safety Tip: Don't fry bacon while naked