ajctraveler

Jumped without gloves, how long is this going to hurt?

So I made a rookie mistake of going jumping in the cold without gloves yesterday and nearly wasn't able to steer my parachute on the way down I was in so much pain. I later found out that it was -16 at altitude.

It's gotten better, but it's been 24 hours and my finger joints are still in a lot of pain and my fingertips are really sensitive.

Should I be going to a doctor or doing something specific? Or is this just a wait it out thing..

Appreciate any advice

wildcard451

Do you normally have issues with your hands in cold weather? This can be anything from a color change to mild discomfort in a cold room or outside in the cold?

If this is the case you may have Raynaud's Syndrome. You can replicate it by holding a glass of ice water in the freezer for 30 seconds and then bringing it back into a warm room. Its vascular spasm and not dangerous

Otherwise, there is not much bad you can do even if you get some "frostnip" but I would recommend warm packs to the hands to improve blood flow and keeping them flexing and they will loosen up.

If the fingers look normal at this point, you're ok :)

Oh, and ibuprofen or naproxen for the pain actually has been shown in studies to be helpful.

GO get some gloves ;)
You are not the contents of your wallet.

Hi Tony,
You'll live!;)B| You've just encountered one of the hazards of cold weather jumping!! Good gloves are a must, the less porus the better. Among others, tried scuba divers gloves and they worked great!! Good warmth without a lot of bulk.

SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

I find a combination of batter's gloves with disposable plastic gloves underneath is a good combination for blocking wind and maintaining feeling and grip.

I prefer vinyl gloves, but latex or nitrile should work as well.
Don't let the fact that I sound like I think that I know what I'm talking about fool you. I know that I don't know what I'm talking about

Make sure you keep your core good and warm, too, when it's that cold. That'll help to keep your extremities warm (though you'll still need gloves.)
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Thanks for the responses everyone.

I just woke up, and my fingers are definitely feeling better. Although last night when I went to bed, over 30 hours after the jump I still had pretty intense pain in my joints.

I already ordered a couple of pairs of gloves, it's not a mistake I will ever make again.

ajctraveler

Thanks for the responses everyone.

I just woke up, and my fingers are definitely feeling better. Although last night when I went to bed, over 30 hours after the jump I still had pretty intense pain in my joints.

I already ordered a couple of pairs of gloves, it's not a mistake I will ever make again.

Skiiers and snowboarders get it; snowmobilers too, even showshoe folks. It passes. I've had my share after winter hiking for too long...
You are not the contents of your wallet.

DrDom

***Do you normally have issues with your hands in cold weather? This can be anything from a color change to mild discomfort in a cold room or outside in the cold?

If this is the case you may have Raynaud's Syndrome. You can replicate it by holding a glass of ice water in the freezer for 30 seconds and then bringing it back into a warm room. Its vascular spasm and not dangerous

Otherwise, there is not much bad you can do even if you get some "frostnip" but I would recommend warm packs to the hands to improve blood flow and keeping them flexing and they will loosen up.

If the fingers look normal at this point, you're ok :)

Oh, and ibuprofen or naproxen for the pain actually has been shown in studies to be helpful.

GO get some gloves ;)

I didn't feel like typing it all out if the answer was no. :P

Trust me, little numbness or discomfort after few minutes of cold doesnt do any real damage. Just keep em warm (you can wear gloves inside too or use warm bottles, have helped me with minor frostbites). And get a warm pair of gloves for next time, number one accessory for winter jumps. I would rather wear nothing under my jumpsuit and real good gloves than no gloves and a lot of other clothing.