hongkongluna

Canopy Control Class near NYC ?

Anyone know of a DZ close to NYC which has regular canopy control classes? My home DZ is Blue Sky Ranch which has invidividual training but i would like a group class, because of cost issues ... :)
-Rainier

Sparks Brother #1 // "I vaguely heard someone yell "wait!" but by that point i was out the door." Quote from dz.com somewhere

Every year Scott Miller comes to the Ranch early in the summer (May or June). They usually do their best to get the low jump number people in the class.

I would also agree with asking Sonic for help. You will get some kick ass training and some funny stories about the past and present of skydiving.

Also, a big thumbs up for looking for canopy coaching. It will help you through out your skydiving career.

The only time you should look down on someone is when you are offering them your hand.

This is a good rough number, though you will want to check with the hosting DZ beforehand.
Jump prices vary, and some jumps may be hop 'n pops while others may be from full altitude (for purposes of separation).
There may also be a registration fee required to reserve your slot. Often times, this fee is used to cover Scott's travel expenses.

OK, I'll shut up!

Call ahead and have fun!

Stay safe,
Mike

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Essential Skills Course - $150 per person. This includes all five jumps and instruction fees.

Advanced Skills Course - $150 per person. This includes all five jumps and instruction fees

If you're gonna' be stupid, well, then you're most likely stupid.

Not to dis Sonic - he's an incredible swooper and a darn nice guy (not to mention a good photographer: he took the pic that's on the cover of Parachutist this month) - but Scott's class really is worth paying for. He has a great way of explaining things, simply and intelligently, so that they make sense. Especially for those of us who got our A licenses when the AFF course was just 7 jumps, or who moved from dz to dz, it's pretty easy to end up with over a hundred jumps and still have large gaps in (what should be) basic knowledge about canopies and how they work. Scott's course fills in the holes, and provides tons of tips and techniques that really will help your flying (and landing) skills. He's also an excellent teacher; he makes the classes fun and interesting. I really can't recommend the course highly enough.

And just to add two more cents: I've only been to Sky's the Limit once, but I had a great experience there. Very, very cool people.

Thanks guys... Yeah i saw the prices on the site but i didnt know if they were just for his course at Deland . I thought it may be a little bit more when he travels.

I did call yesterday but the person i had to talk to wasnt in anymore.

What do you do when someone throws a big planet at you?
Throw your pilot chute in defense!

I'd most definately take whatever class Sonic wanted to give, and learn as much as I could.

That said...

I'd also be willing to head out to Arizona or wherever this canopy class is being held in November. Might be a good excuse for an away weekend. I can get a suite somewhere if other East Coasters want to join me, and we'll have a place to crash.

Let me know.

No dis to Sonic, Scott has been making canopy control classes his business for the last few years. It is his specialty. The key is that Sonic is at the DZ everyday and can help with a ton of the basics. Plus he is a fun guy to be with.

In my humble opinion, he could get some good basic canopy instruction from some of the regulars at the Ranch and then take Scott's class in the spring if he cannot travel too much.

The only time you should look down on someone is when you are offering them your hand.

And that was exactly my point. There are more than a couple of professional canopy pilots at The Ranch. It doesn't make much sense to me to go outside your own dropzone to receive coaching when you havent even tried to get any from the very-accomplised local competitors. I like Scott and I have sat through his lectures before. I also like Brian and I have sat through his lectures as well. They both teach off of well-thought-out sylabus' and they both come off very professionally. That said, I find it laughable that people would not get coaching from the highest-caliber locals available; particularly those with the competition resume Kamuran Bayrasli does. Just a thought.

Chuck Blue
"beaten by Sonic in quite a few pro swooping events"

Anyone know of a DZ close to NYC which has regular canopy control classes? My home DZ is Blue Sky Ranch which has invidividual training but i would like a group class, because of cost issues ... :)

I am interested as well i also jump at the ranch. let me know when you are willing to go for a class we night get a discount if there are few of us. and we shoudl all meet and get to know each other atleast to put faces to online names. i will most like ly be at teh ranch on 24 of sep
If you can't race it or take it to bed.... it aint worth having.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.