fred

Great Lakes Skydivers - DZO Memorial

I don't know if I'm the one who should post this, but I know that there are some people here who started jumping at Great Lakes Skydivers in Gobles, Michigan or others who may have known the DZO or his family. On Monday, Dennis Johnson, DZO and instructor, was killed in an ultralight accident. He was a great teacher, mentor, and friend, and will be missed by many.

There is a visitation on Thursday and a memorial on Friday. I can provide what little more information I have if requested by PM or email.

There are no plans to continue operation of the dropzone.

(Moderators, if you think this isn't the proper channel, feel free to move this message to somewhere more appropriate)

Great Lakes Skydivers is my home DZ since I started in 1980. I'm one of two S&TA's there. Information that is public includes that the ultralight had a structural failure.

The visitation will be at Betzler Funeral Home at 6080 Stadium, Kalamazoo MI - about 1 mile west of 131 from 2-4 and 6-8 on Thursday the 8th. There will be a Memorial Service at the DZ near Gobles, MI on Friday at 4:00.

Obituary at http://www.legacy.com/KALAMAZOO/LegacySubPage2.asp?Page=LifeStory&PersonId=15025625

Blue skies Dennis.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I graduated from the static line course at Great Lakes in 2004. Dennis's steady competence and enthusiasm for the sport made training at Great Lakes a lot of fun and were important factors that led me to make skydiving a part of my life.

Blue skies, Dennis, and my condolences to the Great Lakes community.

:(

I did my 1st (and 2nd) SL jumps at GLS in October 1993. Dennis taught the class, and was on the radio both times I jumped. I always tried to visit for a jump when in MI.

My heart felt condolences to his family and friends.

Blue Skies Dennis, and thank you.

Larry Hinson
D19251/AFFI
--

I'm just one of the many, many people whose lives were changed in big and small ways by Dennis. I made my first jump at Great Lakes, and it will always be home to me. I made some of my best friends and best memories there, and I'll always be grateful for the mark Dennis and Mary left on me.

The memorial was really, really wonderful. I'm so glad I was there.

Blue skies, Dennis. Thanks for teaching us so much!

Betsy