Thijs

SL-ers: How were your first exits?

Hi,
I did my first 2 static line jumps last weekend and the exits weren't that good. :$

On the first jump I jumped from in the plane outside instead of sitting in the door of the plane. Got 'only' seven linetwists :)Second jump I ended up on my back. Was really nice since I could see the entire plane (appart from the fact that the staticline nearly got entangled with me leg, which was not so nice ;)).

How good or bad were your first exits on SL and how long did it take for you to get a pretty much stable exit?

Hopefully to the dz this afternoon, If weather is good and they can drop me.

Thijs

Just practice on the ground over and over again,and just keep jumping.You just have to battle your instincts i saw lots of videos where people jumped and crossed there arms in front of them ,and why they did that they couldn't tell.

My first unstable exit was my first clear and pull i was on my back when i pulled my chute and saw the chute open between my legs

It took me seven S/L jumps to get a stable spread, first jump my legs were kicking, second i was on my side, third on my back. Just keep practicing i'm sure youll get the hang of it. i'm on dummy pulls now, and its taken seven jumps just to find the handle!

Hey my first two jumps were what they call here as a IAD were the instructor is holding the pilot chute like a static line and they were great. They switched to static line deployment after an incident with a student almost getting tangled with the bridal and my next three exits had lots of line twists but plenty of time to clear them. I have two coach jumps left to get my A license, My frst clear and pull was nerve racking and when I threw the pilot chute I forgot to move my other arm and I felt the pilot chute and risers go out across my legs I new I was in for a rough opening. My biggest problem that my instructor said I had was not trusting my arch, beleive me trust it and you will fall stable. Have fun and relax, I know your jumping out of an airplane how can you relax, beleive me you know your EP'S and you know what to do so have fun and relax.
STEP OUT AND FEEL THE RUSH!!!! LATER
SKYBOMB

My first (and only) exit was pretty ugly. I was kicking and swimming. I`ve made that jump at least a thousand times in my head since I think I have finally figured out why I did that.
I think that in my mind I wanted to be belly to earth so bad (the exit was hanging from strut) that I
was looking towards the ground trying to "swim" to get
level. I`m going to try to do nothing but arch on my next one, even if I have to close my eyes for
a few seconds.

Your instructor might have mentioned that the first few seconds from the plane, you're not falling straight down, but across the sky. Therefore, belly to earth is incorrect. You should be more of a 45 degree angle or so to the horizon. Hanging on the strut is a great way to exit and be at the proper "pitch" angle immediately. Try not to over think it, just arch. And have a good time on your next jump. I think you'll nail it this time.B|

All my static line exits were stable. My only problem was on my first jump,
When I hung off the strut the view of the ground just blew me away, I forgot all about jumping and just hung there for about 10 seconds in total amazement, until the instructor came out on the step to bang on my shoulder to remind me what I was there for. So I looked him in the eye and let go. He told me later He knew I would be back by the look on my face as I fell away:P

"be honest with yourself. Why do I want to go smaller? It is not going to make my penis longer." ~Brian Germain, on downsizing

My first exit was stable, but my instructor said I looked like a sheet of plywood. After that I was awesome (humble, aren't i? :P).

I'm sure someone else said this, but just be sure not to "push off" of the wing strut. just release your grip.

And don't feel bad. My husband says he had several jumps where he did "triple lindies" through his risers when he wa a SL student. And now he has 8000 jumps and is an amazing instructor.

happy jumping!

Just hang from the strut in the arch and let go. Don't kick to try to get stable.

Hmm, I'm not hanging on something. I have to stand in the door and jump out of the door, which I assume is a bit more difficult?

Not necessarily more difficult, just different. Many (if not most) static line students learn on Cessnas, with a common exit being the "hanging exit" from the wing strut. It sounds like you are using a different method of exit at your dropzone.

This thread is a great example of why your best source of information on how to improve the exits would be your instructors. You can get some good advice from here, but as you're seeing, it may not be applicable to your situation (as it seems most posters here assumed you're doing hanging exits, which you're not.)

The one piece of advice that I can give you that will work no matter what exit you're using? "Trust the arch." When I was having trouble with exit stability, I would repeat that in my head, over and over again. If you trust the arch, you can recover from all kinds of wobbly feelings.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Static line story) Ted Mayfield ran drop zones for nearly forty years here in Oregon. His favorite static line story (he swears it is true) was this real macho student who 'knew' everything in the class and simply would not pay attention. So finally up they go in the Cessna, Ted & 3 s/l'ers. The macho guy being the last student out. Ted gets him out on the step and gives him the GO. He would not budge, so Ted kicks him off of the step. He now is hanging from the strut with a death grip. Ted reaches out and starts pounding on his hands. The student finally drops off but then grabs the step and and is now hanging from that. So Ted stomps on his hands with his feet and the student finally drops away and everything opens OK. Of course, through all of this the student ends up about 1 1/2 miles off the DZ. An hour or so later he walks back in with the gear. Ted asks him how it went and he says that it was great but it sure is hard on your hands.

I have made 4 static line jumps so far and my first 3 exits were not great. It wasn't until my 4th jump that I had a decent exit. It somehow just clicked and I remembered to keep my head up, looking at the airplane. I still had a few line twists, but nothing bad. With my limited experience, all I can tell you is to arch your back and keep your head up, and look up at the plane as you exit ... that will keep you in the correct position for deployment.

One who looks for a friend without faults will have none. -- Hasidic Saying

Yes I would imagine that would definately be more difficult. Just curious, what kind of aircraft are you jumping?

Both jumps were from a Cessna Caravan.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Belgium weather ain't cooperating this weekend, so no jumping :(

Dunno, can't remember my first 3 exits! I was inside the plane and then I was underneath a manta so I must've jumped right :S:D

My exits were always stable, just not really "positive". For my 300th jump I did another SL for fun and it was the best I ever did :ph34r:

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Coulda been better, coulda been worse. By my fifth jump on the rope my body position was much better.

I was hanging from the strut of a 182 though. Much better chance of a good exit and clean deployment than from a side door aircraft or step exit.

btw, line twists are not uncommon on s/l jumps, regardless of how good your exit is.

I did most of my S/L exits from either a 206 or a strut exit off a 205.

I'll never forget after I final got cleared for freefall and had about 30 jumps. I had my very own PC and headed down to the Air Force Academy for a big meet there. No, I wasn't going to be competing, but I was asked to be on the early morning loads as a wind indicator. Who could pass up free jumps out of an Otter?

I had never exited anything but a 206 or a 205 and here I am sitting on an Otter. Yes, I was nervous. As the JM is yelling "exit, exit, exit" to the jumpers, and they are running out the door. I get to the door and put my arms up, and grab the door and stop. I had never exited such a big door and had no idea what to do. The JM was very nice, and asked me what was wrong, and I told him I had no idea how to exit the aircraft. He was kind enough to tell the pilot to do a go around, and I sat in the door of the Otter and did a poised exit. :ph34r::ph34r: I sure wish I knew who that JM was and where he is at now.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

On my firts JAD:ed jump (we jump JAD at our dropzone, same thing only with an instructor throwing the PC after you jump) my helmet got ripped off right after exit, surprisingly that was the best jump I've made sofar. :)

All I've jumped from is a twin otter, door exits seems more difficult since you have to step "out" of the plane first...

Mmmmm - when I did it out of a C182 we used to hang off the strut????

I did fine until the first freefall when I de arched and pulled so quickly that my body position had no effect on the opening ;)

The first few are always a bit awkward!

These days it makes me laugh when AFF students do their hop and pop and worry about how LOW to the ground they are!!!!

BSBD! -Mark.

"A Scar is just a Tattoo with a story!!!"

I can tell you stable exit was not my best quality. I feel lucky that my instructor let me pass those levels. As a student my exit was quite bad, but I was stable in free-fall.

Anyway you can do a stable exit with closed legs, closed arms and just turn into the airflow and arch. I know that not for SL students, but you may learn it later.