jumpjunkie2004

Updating Jump Numbers

I noticed that people with higher numbers do not update their profiles on a regular basis.

Do you keep track of your jumps?

Do you record your jumps in groups instead of individually?

Initially, I wrote a short novel for each entry. Now, I make a note of the type of jump, who I jumped with, the points we got, and if I landed near my target.
Jump, Land, Pack, Repeat...

I still write a novel. Then again I write often, love to put emotion on paper. My logbook holds some of my greatest memories. However my boyfriend, who has around 500 ish jumps does it in bulk and after reviewing his camera helmet. I dont understand it but then again I only have 30, nothing has become a routine.
Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this

I noticed that people with higher numbers do not update their profiles on a regular basis.

There are a LOT of people that have been posting here for a long time that 1) have no profile at all, 2) have a very limited profile - jump numbers very often omitted, or 3) as you stated do not update them very often

I log my jumps in an old fashioned paper logbook after every jump day. I use a Neptune, but I only use the logbook function for the data it provides, not to keep track of my jumps.

I record them individually.

Initially, I wrote a short novel for each entry. Now, I make a note of the type of jump, who I jumped with, the points we got, and if I landed near my target.

I used to do that as well, now I just record the basic information. On student jumps that always includes the student's name and the jump we made together (e.g. AFF Cat D2). On occasion I'll write something else, but not very often.
Arrive Safely

John

I am logging in three different logbooks:
One old fashioned paper logbook - I try to write down the formation I jumped after each jump as I tend to forget it if I wait till the end of jump day. Special thins also get a short note (like: brainlocked the whole jump, ...)
Latest after 10 jumps I download the information from my protrack to my computer and then copy the data part into the paper logbook (altitude, freefall time, ...).
At the end of the weekend I also update an Excell Sheet I created but this is just for fun and statistic reason as it counts for example the days between last time jumped and actual date, number of jumps out of different aircraft and so on.
M.
vSCR No.94
Don't dream your life - live your dream!

I still write a novel. Then again I write often, love to put emotion on paper. My logbook holds some of my greatest memories.

I did that for a few years...
I wish now I never stopped!

Most of mine are a quicly scribbled entry of the date and place.
A good friend that's been jumping longer than
I have still writes a novel for each jump...
....his logs are a TREASURE!:)
He's also a great sourse to refer to when I have
a question about a demo, or some jump we
made together years ago...

...he can tell me the what, when, where, how...
the weather the N number, the pilot...EVERYTHING!

Keep it up...you'll be glad you did!B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I do not update them often here in he forum profile. Not a biggie. If asked I will tell, otherwise it does not really matter.

Yes, always

Individually at the end of the jump day, or after a particular jump that I deem important to not skeep details.

Again depends on the jump. Very basic description of the jump itself (i.e. 4 way, x points, or fun jump). Some jumps I really do want to put as much details as possible if it may be worth of tracking it in the future (such as if it is the biggest way I made to date, then with all the details, or if it is the first jump made with new friends then again all the names ect...)

Hispas Brothers President
HISPA #2,

Q. Do you keep track of your jumps?

A. Yes. I have 4679 logged dives and 57 hours, 55 min and 29 seconds of documented freefall time. My freefall time is low for my number of jumps because here, 11 000ft is the highest exit altitude in the country, and I have 750 CRW dives worth 1 second each. I update on DZ.com every 10 jumps.

Q. Do you record your jumps in groups instead of individually?

A. Individually. I log jump number, date, location, aircraft, equipment, altitude, delay and total time. I also add a brief comment on the dive.
In addition, I log numbers on CRW, camera, tandem, AFF, Intructional, number of swoops and fun, and split fun between RW, Freefly and Wingsuit dives.

I also log equipment by cost. Purchase price + additional expenses / by number of dives on that equipment. If the equipment is sold I subtract the sale price from the purchase price to get a real cost per jump in Rands. 1 rand = +_ 15 US cents. This is offset against money earned on that equipment doing AFF, Tandem, Instructionals etc so that I can calculate real earnings.

Example 1.

Tempo History, Cost per jump
Total cost Jan 1998 R3500
Sold Jan 2005 R3000
Loss R500
30/01/2005 1590 dives = R0.31 per dive

Example 2.

Stiletto History, Cost per jump.

Total cost Feb 2003 R4500
Line replacement R100
Line replacement R100
Replaced Line set December 2003 R800

Total R5500

03/09/2005 525 dives = R10.47 per dive

As for the content on the dive, this would more likely log the performance of my student on their AFF, so that if they forget their logbooks, I can see how current they are, how they performed, whether they were passed to the next level and what that level is.
I take all my students right through the program. I'm not a beleiver in passing them around from instructor to instructor. If it's a personal dive, then I log my performance vs goals etc.

Perhaps as the novelty of skydiving wears off I'll become a little less pedantic. When I hear people say "I don't have the time." I hear "I don't care." Work out your skydiving cost per hour of freefall time to include driving time and cost, accomodation, equipment, lift tickets etc.
Look at the number - then make the time.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

I stopped logging in my book after each jump, 100s of jumps ago. Instead I run what I call a "pocket log". At the beginning of each day, I grab a peice of scrap paper and slip it in my freefly pants pocket. I jot down "H&P 7,500" or "FF 13,500 w/ so and so" or "Tandem V/S". Then at the end of the weekend, usually, if I remember, I transfer all of them to one page in my logbook.

I have a feeling even this won't last much longer. Logging is just a pain. You can always ask manifest to print out a jump log for you.

The last time I updated my jump numbers here, I had 3333 jumps. I like that number, hence the reason I haven't updated on here.

I record at the end of the weekend or the event that I'm attending.

I just write down the jump number and were it was at. This allows me to get more use from a log book.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

I generally update my profile after a weekend of jumping.

I try to log every jump I make before I get on another load. When that's not possible I log as soon as I can, using my ProTrack to remind me of exit altitude and freefall time.

I did that when I was doing tandems. Each of my sport jumps has it's own space in my logbook.

Initially, I wrote a short novel for each entry.

Me too. I'll still write a little bit for a really cool or special jump. Most jumps I log date, place, plane, equipment, exit altitude, freefall time, total freefall time, what we did (ie 2 way freefly, 8 way RW) and who was on the jump. On special jumps I'll usually try to get those who jumped with me to all sign the log entry.

All I can say is THANK GOD for my Protrack, without which I wouldn't know how many jumps I have. B|:D

As for on here, frankly I got tired of updating it every other weekend or whatever. People know how many jumps I have, and if they don't, they can ask. :P

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

You can always ask manifest to print out a jump log for you.

You can. I can't. Not every DZ is big and high tech:S Our manifest is writing your name down on a sheet of paper, and paying at the end of the day.
cavete terrae.

I do log all my jumps, and can look back and tell you about each one of them.

You are right that people with lots of jumps don't update their profiles very often. Frankly, it doesn't matter to me if my profile says I have 4,300 jumps, 4,700, or 4,726 jumps. It's all in the same ballpark. That wasn't true when I had a few hundred jumps. Back then, I wanted everybody to know that I had 126 and not 122 jumps. That's not to say I don't care about each jump I make now, rather I don't think the elevated number means as much as it did when I was a pup.

Keep logging your jumps, and updating your profile!
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

Frankly, it doesn't matter to me if my profile says I have 4,300 jumps, 4,700, or 4,726 jumps. It's all in the same ballpark. That wasn't true when I had a few hundred jumps. Back then, I wanted everybody to know that I had 126 and not 122 jumps.

I was the same way . . . then I made the Golden Knights. My Team Leader wanted all of us to know our exact number of jumps so we could accurately answer people's questions when at social events or doing press interviews. That habit just stuck with me.
Arrive Safely

John

I update my profile every Sunday or Monday. :)

Do you keep track of your jumps? Do you record your jumps in groups instead of individually?

In my log book, I usually write the basic data (date, altitude, maneuver, etc). The instructor and I discuss
the jump and then he writes in the description and signs it.

On my first several jumps, I also wrote (on the computer) a narrative of the dive on my own. At the top,
I put some extra factual data - who the instructors were, approximate time of day, tail number, etc. Then
I would do a brain dump of how I remembered the dive. These were fairly extensive; if printed they
would have ranged from two to four pages.

After about a dozen jumps and some discussions both on here and with my instructors, I quit writing
these detailed notes after each dive. Trying to remember everything that was going on during the
skydive was somewhat getting in the way of actually doing the skydive. At some point I will probably
start logging a little extra data on the computer again, but I probably won't write big stories for a while.

Most of the people that work at the DZ seem to log all their jumps at once at the end of the day. They
refer to the manifest board to keep things straight. One of my instructors has a two jumps per page
logbook like mine and usually writes a few sentences; the other one has a 4 or 5 jumps per page logbook
and just writes things like "tandem", "AFF L2", etc. When they do their logbooks they also fill out their
"time card" that gets turned in on Sunday evening to get their paycheck.

Eule
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.

I think that we (females) tend to write more in our logbooks.

On one of my student jumps - it was a tracking jump - I wrote a bunch of stuff. The other student (male) that went on the same load wrote: Tracking Jump - FUN!!!!

I've noticed that too. I record the bare minimum of information, but a female friend writes an essay about every jump (and she has well over 2000 jumps).

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Yes ... in fact my DZ.COM profile often acts as a backup log book for when my paper log book is not updated or if my Neptune was to malfunction. So when you see my numbers here, know that they are often accurate in terms of the number of skydives I have made.

I would save money of log books if I grouped the jumps together, but I've always logged them individually.

My logging style has changed over the years towards briefer and briefer entries all the time. Currently I record the jump number, date, location, airplane jumped from, equipment (this is important to me as I do have multiple rigs and mains and I like to keep track of how many jumps are done on the gear), then I record what type of jump it was (Hop n' Pop, Freefly, Tracking, Wingsuit, etc, etc, etc). I usually don't say much more unless it was some sort of special jump. Oh and I do like to keep track of the number of times I swoop the pond or the number of times I make a wingsuit jump (I'll just write a number down to know how many of done of each).

People who don't log their jumps often end up with inflated jump numbers. To some they rationalize this as "who cares" and to others ... well let them explain why they do what they do.

Shit I've got 7 jumps from yesterday that still need to be logged on paper. :S

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

"Cause we're too busy jumping.:D I last updated at 4444 and I just like the number. I now have 4589. I'll probably update when I cross 4600.

***Do you keep track of your jumps?

I think I've logged each and every one. I use the small soft-cover one-line-per-jump logbooks.

If I make a bunch of tandems in one place in one day, I'll log them all on one line. Looks funny to see 300-400 seconds of freefall over in the "f/f time" column. I like to write who was on the fun jumps and what we did.

Some people don't just update their jump numbers, they inflate them. :D

C'mon people. Lying and putting in your profile that you have 1000 jumps is pretty lame. It's a small world and word travels fast.

Anyhow, I update my logbook after each weekend. I update on dz.com whenever I think of it. I pretty much do it in increments of 50 or 100.

I think that we (females) tend to write more in our logbooks.

One member of an old 4-way team was a woman who had a 3-color pen and would draw a pic of every jump with a specific color used for her part.

I usually log at the end of the week, but not in great detail.

I value getting a special signature now and then for memorable stuff.

Some people don't just update their jump numbers, they inflate them. :D

C'mon people. Lying and putting in your profile that you have 1000 jumps is pretty lame. It's a small world and word travels fast.

Anyhow, I update my logbook after each weekend. I update on dz.com whenever I think of it. I pretty much do it in increments of 50 or 100.

Now, Now Heather, you sound like a cynic.:(

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I'm pretty much the same. Now I just update them at 50s, and once i get to 1,000, will probably update at 100.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD