ltdiver

Does your life insurance policy include skydiving?

Yes, but I pay a loading for it both for life cover and disability.

What really bothers me is that they'll pay for suicide (if the policy has been in effect for over 2 years) but not for a skydiving death. (without loading)

Get that.

Put a gun to your head and pull the trigger - they pay.

Use every ounce of skill and knowledge you have while skydiving and fail - they don't.:S

t
It's the year of the Pig.

Yes, I had skydiving explicitly included in my life insurance coverage. If I recall the numbers correctly, this change increased the monthly premium by about 50%. When this is accounted for, I think the coverage offered by USPA is competitive in price with other policies.

I have the AD&D policy offered through USPA. Even though I don't have kids, it makes me feel better knowing that my family doesn't have to worry about the financial part of it when and if it comes to to 'cashing it in'.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

If I remember the fatality report, this guy survived the skydive, but upon landing he hit his throat on his chest mounted altimeter. But I guess they still consider it related to the skydive.

If I remember the fatality report, this guy survived the skydive, but upon landing he hit his throat on his chest mounted altimeter. But I guess they still consider it related to the skydive.

Yeah, I thought of this as well when I read the article. Sucked, didn't it! [:/]

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

All of this discussion got me thinking about this even harder. So I checked my policy and yes it is an I die they get paid thing. But the more I thought about it the more I wanted to look around at other rates and other policies. So after some research and talking with a few agents, I found a policy that covers me for 250,000 with ADB (accidental death benifits) of 500,000. It pays starting the day I sign up and get approved. It covers EVERYTHING except if I die while commiting a felony. So if I rob a bank and get blasted, my wife and kids get zilch. For the first two years it will not cover suicide, and it will not cover terminal illness within the first twi years if it is pre-existing. After two years it will cover suicide and pre-existing terminal illness.

After two years, if I die, they get paid (felony exclusion still holds), I die of anything other than natural causes, they get paid double cost 600/year for a 30 year term policy with the rate guaranteed the whole time.

And if you buy your policy in Ohio, Ohio law prevents any insurance company doing any business in Ohio from excluding ANY activity other than death in comission of a felony. Suicide/Skydiving/Scuba/Rock Climbing/Piloting/HangGliding etc. are all covered and all you have to do is physically BE IN OHIO when you purchase the policy. You do not have to live here.

Edit to Add

Oh yeah, I decided to buy this policy because my current insurance is 30-year term but the last 8 years are decreasing benefits with increasing rates.

If you don't ask for it to be covered, 99 times out of 100, it won't be.

I'm not sure I agree with that. As your insurance does not EXCLUDE skydiving, or have a clause about aircraft passengers, or "extreme" sports, with no definition of "extreme", then I would say that you are probably covered. I think that skydiving or being a passenger on an airplane have to be specifically excluded for you to not be covered. An insurance policy can't ever say all the things it does cover, so you get into generalities.

When I applied for my life insurance, I carefully read the contract, saw no exclusions for airplanes, outside of being a commercial pilot, and filled out the section of "hazardous sports" (boy that was long - I'm surprised what people consider hazardous). I wrote that I do skydive, and I discussed it with the insurance rep, who informed me that it's not specifically excluded, so I would be covered. SCUBA diving was covered, as long as it was not below a certain depth. Mountain climbing was covered, off-road biking. Interestingly, skiing was not considered "extreme" (maybe that's why I stopped doing it ;)). I listed them on the hazardous activities page, so the insurance company has a record of what I do and signed off on it.

My health insurance is the same.

Now my homeowners insurance is a different story - it excludes anything resulting from an aircraft incident, so if I damaged other property while skydiving, my HO would not cover it, but USPA would (thanks, USPA :)
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

Yes, but MANY policies won't cover you in any type of aircraft other than commercial. An aircraft exclusion is pretty typical, and that means that if I decide to hop in my rigger's Cessna, I'm not even covered then. Jumping out of non-commercial aircraft is included in that aircraft exclusion. And I'm pretty sure jumping out of commercial airliners would be excluded, too.;) DB Cooper's family probably cuoldn't cash in on his term life policy either. :P;)

kelly

I have yet to find a policy that will cover me completely. Just about everything I do in my career field in the Military is not covered by a policy from anyone other than LoL which is too far out there to be practical. I do get a kick out of it when I get a phone call from them and I ask if they cover the following :yadayadayada, I usually never get past the first or second one. Luckily the military affords me coverage, though small in comparison to what some people may have, it covers me for the things I am statistically more than likely to be doing when injured, killed or maimed.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

The operative term is accidental-death insurance policy. That is Not Life Insurance. In the state of oregon: If you get your Life policy before you skydive it will not exclude skydiving. Once you start skydiving they can not go back and exclude activities. But when you apply, if you do certian things, they can up charge you or you can chose to exclude it. Accidenial death polices have lots of exclusions. Ie: USPA insurance you must be at a group DZ. ;)

Don't run out of altitude and experience at the same time...

I saw your post but I have my doubts that acts of War or civil unrest would be covered especially when I am an active participant. If I'm mistaken then I'd like to see that policy as I know A LOT of people who would be interested;)
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

My 30 year term policy $250K covers me for skydiving. It's $51/month.

And I also carry the USPA $100K for $138/quarter.

And a couple of other dead man insurance policies.

But if you self employed, getting disability is very difficult.

yahooo
2 cents worth

Don't go away mad....just go away!

I will contact my agent and ask about that specifically and see what the new policy says. But FYI, I asked "What specifically will this policy not cover?"

His reply, "Suicide or known terminal illness within the first two years and your death while you are COMITTING a felony."

MY next question, "So I am covered for any death, under any circumstances, other than those stated and after two years, my death is covered unless I am committing a felony at time of death."

His reply, "You die, they get paid, no matter what, unless you are committing a felony."

Pretty much a quote. But I am going to call him and ask what if I am in combat as a willing participant of the United States Armed Forces? See what he says;).

You definitely should. I have NEVER, EVER heard of any oplicy through anyone other then USAA covering death as the result of an act of war.

However, the reasoning behind that is that the losses resulting from an act of war would be too catastrophic for insurance companies to handle, and they would go insolvent. Also, in the event of something like that, government assistance would certainly kick in. So, even if it's not covered, it's really not a concern, unless you're headed to Iraq tomorrow. But if you want to know, ask. :)
kelly

That's a shame. Same thing happened in Texas maybe ten years ago, a dad bounced and left behind a family with a policy that didn't pay 'cause he died skydiving. Those insurance companies will do whatever they can not to pay. My life insurance thru my job with the FAA pays no matter how I die. Double checked when we started having kids, just to make sure.

Quote taken from the artical.....

She insisted that parachuting does not involve "navigation," given that parachuting does not involve steering and is merely a conveyance used to slow the fall to earth.

Was this guy jumping a round parachute?
If he were jumping a Ram-Air, I would disagree with this statement.