StreetScooby

Any USPA DZs require AADs?

Never used it ? Hmmmm....

1) Did your riger install it on you rig ?
2) Did you press the button three time to turn it on ?
3) Was it inside the container when you jumped ?

If the answer to the above questiosn is yes, yup you used it !

Oh, I see, it never fired !

Congratulations.....

AADs are much cheaper than funerals.
Y yo, pa' vivir con miedo, prefiero morir sonriendo, con el recuerdo vivo".
- Ruben Blades, "Adan Garcia"

I'm a little old school. Jumped many years without a helmet or an AAD. Wouldn't even own an AAD until Tommy Piras went in (...too scared they'd work when they shouldn't). Didn't even own a helmet until this season, when I started doing regular 4 way with very experienced guys and we're averaging 10-12 pts in time using open dives (...remember, Tommy, Jack, et. al. didn't start using helmets until 14 pts were winning the nationals).

I'm pretty careful when it comes to people I'm jumping with. Don't mind jumping with newbies, just not in large blocks. For the last many years, I've done nothing but 4 way, with the occasional Guy Wright load.

The most important thing to me - my airplanes must be perfectly good, and the pilots have to get me over the drop zone.
We are all engines of karma

And an AAD may have resulted in a funeral as well. But this appears to have been because the swooper had decided to go big on a regular load. Swooping Rocks!!! But there is a time and a place to go big. And regular loads is not the time nor the place. A lot of people made fun of me this summer for doing all the hop n' pops that I did. A lot of newbies think I can't freefall (despite the fact that my first 700 jumps were all freefall jumps). I did all those hop n' pops because I had my swooping goals and I thought that mixing swooping with a regular jump would be counter productive to my swooping goals and potentially dangerous to myself all the other people on the load.

AADs have their purpose, but they shouldn't be relied upon to save ones life except in the rare cases where the jumper is rendered inoperable due to some sort of collision once they leave the plane. Too many jumpers use the AAD as a crutch for jumping and I fear some DZs aren't looking at the big picture by requiring everyone to have one. Ultimately it is the jumper who's responsible for saving their own life. Since when did this ever change? AADs are just a great insurance policy for freefall collisions.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

2) Did you press the button three time to turn it on ?

If you only pushed the button three times, it was never fully on.

"CYPRES is switched on by pressing the push button four times with very short clicks."
"(click, light, click, light, click, light, click)"

From the CYPRESS2 users manual (It's the same for CYPRESS1).
BASE 1224, Senior Parachute Rigger, CPL ASEL IA, AGI, IGI
USPA Coach & UPT Tandem Instructor, PRO, Altimaster Field Support Representative

AADs have their purpose, but they shouldn't be relied upon to save ones life except in the rare cases where the jumper is rendered inoperable due to some sort of collision once they leave the plane. Too many jumpers use the AAD as a crutch for jumping and I fear some DZs aren't looking at the big picture by requiring everyone to have one. Ultimately it is the jumper who's responsible for saving their own life. Since when did this ever change? AADs are just a great insurance policy for freefall collisions.

Well put! I'm in shock that there are US DZs that _require_ AADs. What'll be next? Baseball cups and shin guards?

Both myself and another team member are going to let our AADs expire. Guess we will not be going to a nationals at San Diego.

If I can jump without an AAD, I'd have no problem with that. Proving I have 1600 jumps would be difficult, if not impossible, because I stopped logging shortly after my D license. My current jump number is simply an EWAG, based upon the number of jumps I make at my dropzone, and applying a factor of about .9 in my head (...I always round down, don't want to look like someone who just logs jumps).

I can prove my abilities. Just step in the air with me. When's the last time you turned in place?

well as long as you can prove that you have your 1600 jumps why wouldn't you go to san diego.

Because I have a fundamental problem with a DZ requiring an AAD on experienced jumpers, whether I can be exempted or not?

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

When's the last time you turned in place?

the last time i jumped was over a year ago. and even then i only have 89 jumps.
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin

Because I have a fundamental problem with a DZ requiring an AAD on experienced jumpers, whether I can be exempted or not?

Blues,
Dave

why?

the only problems I see with it is if your swooping a very small canopy that might trick your cypress into firing when you do your hook. If your doing CREW (i believe SD will let you jump without it if your doing crew) and then ofcourse that you have to spend $800-$1000 more on gear to jump there.

Blues,
Dave

why?

the only problems I see with it is if your swooping a very small canopy that might trick your cypress into firing when you do your hook. If your doing CREW (i believe SD will let you jump without it if your doing crew) and then ofcourse that you have to spend $800-$1000 more on gear to jump there.

You don't seriously believe those are the only times an AAD can be a hazard, do you? Modern AADs are pretty good, but they're still myopic devices that can take an action when you don't want them to, whether through electronic/mechanical failure or a jumper's failure to account for them. In any case, I think that while they are a great idea for the majority of jumper's, it should be the individual jumper who makes an informed decision on whether the risk/benefit ratio suits them. I personally won't defer that decision to my DZO. I think the 1000 jump exemption is a step in the right direction though. ;)

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

can you just leave it in your rig and not tell the dzo it is expired? even though dz's may require an aad, i doubt they are checking to make sure it is turned on. can a your rigger repack a reserve with an expired aad? i'm sure there are riggers here that can answer that. maybe you can cut the control head off and make it look like you have an aad.

"Your scrotum is quite nice" - Skymama
www.kjandmegan.com

Cypress missfires happen from time to time yes, but they are so rare that i don't consider it a reason not to jump one.

That would be like saying "I'm not gonna ride a jetski b/c the fuel line could break and blow me to hell"

To me the advantages of the aad far outway the hazards for any level of jumper.

I think the 1000 jump exemption is a step in the right direction though.

ok so what the hell are we arguing about? lol you have the choice not to jump it and I have to and prefer to. :D

can a your rigger repack a reserve with an expired aad?

I would be willing to bet my next paycheck that you will never find an honest rigger that would do that! If you go in and they packed an expired cypress they would be FUCKED!!

maybe you can cut the control head off and make it look like you have an aad

If the DZO or S&TA found out you would probly be banned from the dropzone.

Proving I have 1600 jumps would be difficult, if not impossible, because I stopped logging shortly after my D license

Now don't you wish you had logged jumps?

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1837890;#1837890

I can prove my abilities. Just step in the air with me. When's the last time you turned in place?

Sorry, not buying that. There are plenty of tunnel rats that skydive and they can turn in place, but they don't have over 1,000 skydives.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

can you just leave it in your rig and not tell the dzo it is expired? even though dz's may require an aad, i doubt they are checking to make sure it is turned on. can a your rigger repack a reserve with an expired aad? i'm sure there are riggers here that can answer that. maybe you can cut the control head off and make it look like you have an aad.

Why would you lie to the DZO about the condition of your gear? It is his drop zone not yours. Follow his rules or go elsewhere.

What you are suggesting is not legal.

105.43 Use of single-harness, dual-parachute systems.

(c) If installed, the automatic activation device must be maintained in accordance with manufacturer instructions for that automatic activation device.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals