atsaubrey

1st jump blown bottom skin cell

>How likely is it to blow a 3 ft long hole along a seam on a bottom cell on a brand new canopy?

If there was an inherent problem with the fabric or construction of the canopy, it will most likely be seen at the first jump. In the electronics industry we call this phenomena "infant mortality." There's a failure curve we call the 'bathtub curve' because it's high initially (due to infant mortality) low in the middle and then starts rising towards the end of its life as wear items start to wear out.

I was there @ deployment and we were cruisin' @ about ~140 (via Pro-Track on the ankle) when he threw. I watched the opening as I tracked away and it didn't seem rough or ABnormal from my view.

Still sucks though!B|.
Anvil Brother #69

Sidelined with a 5mm C5-C6 herniated disk...
Back2Back slammers and 40yr old fat guys don't mix!

you were jumping a 320?? i've had a PD rep tell me they drop tested PDR 113's (dont really know the difference in construction) with three hundred lb weights at terminal (over 200 maybe??)..he swore it snapped the risers and did no damage to the canopy..140 is fast but not fast enough to blow a canopy up (typically anyways)

I didn't have a hard opening but it was on the brisk side but far from hard. (anything is brisk when i was getting 500 ft+ snivels before) As far as speed goes I never went above 140 and was slowing down before deployment (Neptune). Guesstimate would be about 135 at the time I threw. It does appear it does happen and that is what i was looking for. I did not chop it andonce under canopy I did notice a small "hole" that appeared to be a crossport. I have a all white bottom skin and the hole appeared to be yellow which is the color next to the black cell that was blown. When I say hole it only looked to be about 3" in diameter. We didn't notice the actual tear until we went looking for the hole. My guess is it was a small hole that continued to go as I did my checks and a few spirals. I changed my info to protect the manufactuer, I don't care to start a manufactuer A over B session.
"GOT LEAD?"

As I said in the PM...

I would think it's a manufactures defect, it does happen.

Document the stuff we talked about and return it, that company stands behind their products and you shouldn't have a problem getting it fixed.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

The manufacturer needs to see the canopy as soon as possible. It may be bad fabric and the flaw might extend to other canopies, or it's a manufacturing defect and they need to see that, too. Glad you made it out okay. It sounds like a seam ripped from your description. I think you're a "test jumper" every time you buy a new canopy, I always opened high on the first few jumps, just in case. That may be the lesson in this.

Dude, that sucks.... I heard about it at the DZ, I got there after it happened.. Hopefully you get it all figured out ASAP :S

So, when are you, eric, and me gonna do a three way, you guys can just tow my ass. :P

FGF #???
I miss the sky...
There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary and those who don't.

Man, after all the trouble you went to to get a decent-sized main, container, etc... now this!

Hopefully you're accruing huge amounts of Gear Karma.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?