justaflygirl

Getting back in it...

Okay so at one time I was so fired up skydiving ( I still am but...) I was REALLY STUPID back in June and hurt myself. I am really eager to jump again, but I just cant make myself make time for the DZ. I have my B license (I just have to send in my card to make it official) I am kinda thinking about sitting thru another FJC at least the canopy piloting part but I am terrified of being laughed at. I want to be in this great sport for a long time, but I want to be as safe as possible. I have totally healed from my injury, I am running, jumping and what not... so the time is right, Im not afraid of the acutally jump, just the landing, even with my 70 jumps I am a canopy skills "dumber than dog shit" candidate... I will have 10 or so spot on landings then I will have a bout again with eating the earth....I was signed up for Scott Millers course but didnt go b/c of the Florida rain and then I hurt myself, then I had to sell my rig...so its been a downhill thing from there... Please help....[:/]Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

There's nothing wrong with taking the FJC over again. Hell, repetition is a key to learning, so I'd go so far as to say it's a good idea. Talk to one of your instructors about some local canopy coaching. Don't necessarily ask the badass swooper, maybe look for the guy who stands up all his landings right in the middle of the peas all the time.

Welcome back!
cavete terrae.

One on one canopy coaching may be the most effective way to restore confidence and address your specific concerns. If you cannot afford a series of 4-5 jumps, then even one jump with coaching can be enourmously helpful. If you can go to the dz on a weekday, I am sure the instructors will give you all the time you need.

One week after I came back from a two month layoff, I had my risers shortened. During a month of no wind days, I bashed myself into the ground so badly that I stopped having fun and became seriously concerned for my safety. I hobbled over to manifest and arranged to work with a coach on a 4 jump package.

For the first jump, we determined my objectives, reviewed spotting, analyzed a load's landings, drew the landing pattern for me, reviewed the mechanical effects of shortened risers, talked about leg position under canopy, reviewed harness turns in the hanging harness and agreed on canopy exercises.

Armed with all this information, I spotted, I executed the exercises and I managed to stick a standup landing in the peas. In one jump, my coach fully restored my confidence and that alone was worth every penny.

Misty, if you REALLY want to keep jumping, then do it! Sorry, but 70 jumps is NOTHING:|---that really is not a whole lot of experience. I was gonna give up around that jump number, because I was having some icky landings...but turns out my brake lines were too short and my canopy couldn't flare properlyB|. I was gonna give up, but I said no, I gotta try this canopy course...so I did, and I rarely do I tumble in my landingsB|.

Girl, you have made it this far...if the decision to skydive is yours and yours alone, and you do it for you, then welcome back! :)

Mother to the cutest little thing in the world...

I stopped for the winter last year at 45 jumps. Had about 5 months off due to the weather. First time I went to the DZ this spring I sat through the first jump course just to get stuff fresh in my mind again. At first the DZO asked why I wanted to sit through it. After I explained it to them they thought it was a great idea. It really helped my confidence getting back in the air. I say go for it, and anyone that would laugh at you because you are trying to be safe and take care of yourself really doesn't have a clue.

As for the canopy thing, maybe ask about being on radio for the first couple jumps back. You can tell them not to say anything unless you are really screwing up and still do it all for yourself, but you'd also have that little safety net just incase you have trouble.
------------------------------------------------
I've done so much, with so little, for so long
I'm now expected to do everything with nothing forever

...I have my B license (I just have to send in my card to make it official)

Well, B-qualified anyway...but no jumps since June and not landing well consistently?

...I am terrified of being laughed at.

Anybody laughs at you for wanting to be safe, tell them to kiss butt.

I want to be in this great sport for a long time, but I want to be as safe as possible.

You go girl!

....I was signed up for Scott Millers course but didnt go...

You will be glad you did, I'm sure.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239