skydiveress

Babies and Skydiving?

A dropzone is an ADULT playground. This is a subject that some friends and I have discussed quite a few times.

I personally have no problem with children being on the DZ (provided they are kept under control - something which seems to be a major problem with some of the children brought in by first time tandem students)... but if parents choose to keep their children around after the last load, they should also be prepared to have their children exposed to what happens at the DZ after dark.

I've fell pregnant and have decided to keep the baby, I believe that after the baby is born I will carry on skydiving. I am still skydiving at the moment.
But my now Ex-Partner thinks that this will be impossible and that it wont be right taking a young child to a DZ, and that it would interfear that much that it would stop us skydiving altogether.

Listen china. Skydiving aint going to go nowhere. Lots of single parents or whatever skydive. There is no need to rush into getting back out there. Kids need to grow first so take your time. You might not be jumping for the first year or so...but thats not to say you have given up skydiving. It will still be happening when you come back.

But your ex-partner is a wanker though...

I was a DZ baby, When my mom was working at the hospital on weekends, my dad would bring me out to watch him! I remember when I went back to his home DZ for my first tandem the DZO's wife saying to me how much she watched me when my dad would jump.

It all depends on the DZ and the folks that are around to watch the kids. At our DZ I watch kids all the time while their parents jump, and I don't mind it at all. Though most of the experienced jumper kids know how to act, the first jump students who bring their kids out, I can pull my hair out sometimes though.

One of our riggers jumped while she was still 8 months pregnant. then continued to jump after she had the kid. It really depends on what you feel like. Is it safe for you, and is it safe for the kid? We can all say what we think, but the ulimate decision is up to you.

I don't normally post but this thread kind of stuck in my head.

to the OP: you can have your baby and skydive, but I suspect that for a baby to grow up happy and secure s/he will take over your life.. and that can be a wonderful thing. but it takes planning, support, energy and probably luck. yeah, all the 'big' things like life insurance and alternative carers need to be sorted out, but they need to be done whether you skydive or not.

as for the practicalities of taking a baby to the dz: it can be done. I took my son to the dz when he was 8 weeks old, and it worked out wel for both of us. but it is not like jumping without a baby. babies have needs for frequent feeding and sleep, so a day at the dz is really only fair to the baby if there is a quiet place for doing both. and you need supportive friends and a friendly dz. since my son was born I have only made a couple of jumps a day each time. definitely worth it but now that he is older, having a full-time carer so that I can get more jumps in is a better option for me.

to those who consider the dz to be an adult playground.. well, I guess I was like you until quite recently. your call. god knows the last thing I'd want to do is leave my baby with anyone who was not happy to hold him. but perhaps you could consider this: what happens when parents with babies don't feel welcome to take them out and about? there are so many places where it truly is not appropriate to take a baby (movies, theatre, concerts, bars, most parties..). but the dz? come on, it is not a concert hall. how does it stop you jumping if I am sitting under tree with my baby, or if my baby is in his pram watching me pack? babies are people, part of society, and they and their parents like to get of the house and pursue the activities that make life fun and worthwhile. should we be confined to 'mother and baby' coffee mornings and walking around the mall? I had a baby - I didn't suddenly acquire the urge to hang out with people with whom I had nothing in common other than having reproduced and discuss infant feeding habits.
sure, anyone who doesn't like babies is not obliged to play with them, and I will take all reasonable steps to make sure my baby isn't disruptive to others. but I am beyond measure grateful to my wonderful friends who have helped me carry on with my life *with* my baby, by being ready to play with him and help out; and to the people at dropzones who, even tho they were not already friends, nonetheless made me and by baby feel welcome. you are what makes the world a more humane place, on the dz and off.

I have 2 girls, now aged 7 and 11.

Since I've been jumping for over 20 years, they have spent about 20 weekends a year at the DZ since the day they were born. The elder one has done 2 Tandems, the younger one is due for her first tandem next year.
t

They were tandems at 8/9 years old? I realize that's not in the US...but -wow. :| Am I misreading something here??
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

Nope. There's been quite a number of threads on this subject, with wildly divergent opinions expressed on whether folk under the age of majority should do tandems.

However, all that aside, the primary reason kids don't do tandem skydives in the USA is liability. More specifically, the inability of parents in many states to sign away their kid's right to sue.

Nope. There's been quite a number of threads on this subject, with wildly divergent opinions expressed on whether folk under the age of majority should do tandems.

Right right, but in the US we're worried about 16 year olds. My daughter is nine. I couldn't fathom putting her out of an airplane. I would never even be on a load that had a kid going out the door; that image is too horrifying to comprehend for me. -But that's just me. Others' opinions may vary. :|
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

to those who consider the dz to be an adult playground..

I have seen a 2 years old almost hit by a car on an airfield. Parents were not tracking him/her carefully.

I have seen kids sneaking into the airport through a hangar to play inside.

I don't have anything against babies and kids on the airfields until they are supervised by someone.

But my now Ex-Partner thinks that this will be impossible and that it wont be right taking a young child to a DZ, and that it would interfear that much that it would stop us skydiving altogether.

what does he want ?? that you keep the baby and stay at home so he can skydive "witout disturbance" ??
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

A dropzone is an ADULT playground.

Depends on the dropzone.

DeLand has always made children welcome, although the children whose parents spend time there regularly are obviously more welcome. It's only human nature to have an interest in a child you have watched grow up (versus one who shows up fully formed), and there are quite a few children who have grown up on the dz in DeLand.

Also, it is essential to make ones own prior arrangements for babysitting while jumping, rather than picking a face from the crowd and saying "Hey, will you watch my kid while I go make a jump?" You may find that there will be those who will happily volunteer, but it's not something you should take for granted.

Nor should you take for granted that you must be very plain-spoken and forthright with your child about everything associated with skydiving. The more a child understands, the less likely that child will be to exercise his/her huge capacity for curiosity--the biggest problem with a young one on the dz.

And finally, when your child is old enough to understand that bad things happen, you have to do two things--talk about them when they do, and make sure your child understands exactly what will happen to him/her if something happens to you.

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

I know plenty of people with small kids that jump. You just need to work out a rotation.

One weekend you have the kid and no jumping the next he has the kid and no jumping.

Or we had one couple that brought there little daughter out and switched ever jump. Where there is a will there is a way.

Oh yeah... make sure to explain death to them early. If they grow up on a DZ they will see it eventually.

I haven't been to many DZ's that didn't like kid. I think that may be becasue we all have really never grown up. Perris always has a few rug rats running around. Even have a swing set for them to play on.
Dom

I began skydiving after my son was already over a year old, and jumped once pregnant with my daughter. After he birth I just kept on jumping. I don't bring her to the dz, just cause I'm there to jump and I don't want to worry whose keeping an eye on her or what kind of trouble she's getting into. I think children do change your life but I don't believe you should sacrifice something you love just because you have a child. You make it work because its something important to you. Good luck!

Muff Brother 3723

Most just bring the kids and dump them on the DZ and expect everyone else to watch out for them while the parent(s) skydive - bummer.

Agreed.

I am probably in the minority, but not everybody loves kids. Personally, I don't come to the dropzone to hear crying babies and screaming kids. And who is watching the kids when the parents are jumping? Somebody responsible or another kid?

For me, the dropzone is a playground, an adult playground. Children will always be around, nothing I can or will do about that. But, just be aware that there are some of us who wish you would leave the curtain-climbers at home.

No hard feelings, just an opinion.

I also agree. All kids are different of course, but I doubt anybody is ever going to tell you to leave your kids at home because it's annoying. My 2 cents. Good luck with your baby.

OK, so let's summarize the lesson from all these posts:

1. Kids are fine at a DZ. They're a joy to have around for everyone; and they'll be fine.
2. The DZ is no place for kids. They're a pain in the ass to other people; and they'll get themselves into trouble.
3. You won't have time for jumping if you have kids, or time for your kids if you jump.
4. It's not all that hard to balance jumping and having kids.
5. Your ex-partner's a dick, and is just using this issue to be a control freak.
6. Your ex-partner's a dick, but he's got the kid's best interest at heart
7. You shouldn't place yourself at high risk by jumping while your kids are still small.
8. Lots of people jump while their kids are small, and they're caring, responsible parents.

Hope this clears it all up for you.

My wife and I have a four year old and a three year old and they love the dz! That being said....we rarely jump together....either I am jumping and she is watching the kids or vice versa. But on some occasions a friend of mines wife doesn't jump and she occasionally watches them while we jump together. We hang out with these friends on a regualr basis (away from the dz) and she sometimes babysits for us anyway. This is probably a best case scenario though....we both jump....doesn't bother us to much not jumping together always. Just my personal experience.

Jordan

Go Fast, Dock Soft.

Congratulations!

I’d wait until you have the baby to make the decision about skydiving. You have no idea how much a child changes your life until you have one.

I only did about 10 jumps while pregnant and I planned on being back in the air within 3 months of having her. Skydiving was such a huge part of my life I never, ever thought I would end up taking a few years off. But now my daughter is a year and a half and I’m still not skydiving yet. Not because I don’t want to, believe me I still look up at the sky every single day and wish I was up there. I just haven’t been able to achieve that level of balance in my life yet where I can make time for skydiving. I’m a single mom, I work full time, I also go to school. My weekends are my daughter’s time. As badly as I want to skydive I want that time with her more. Yes, she has taken over my life, but I wouldn't change it for anything.

Children are also expensive; the $1300 a month I spend on daycare would buy a whole lot of jumps.

Someday I’ll get be a skydiver again, hopefully soon but if it’s longer that’s okay. The sky will always be there, my daughter’s childhood won’t. Fortunately skydiving doesn’t have an age limit. I fully intend to be skydiving when I’m 80 so if I have to take a few years off now, it’s not that big a deal.

So for now, concentrate on taking care of yourself, have a healthy pregnancy, and enjoy it. It’s an amazing experience. You can figure out whether or not to continue skydiving after you have the baby. It’s really a personal decision; there is no right or wrong answer. Do what is right for you.

And I think it’s fine to bring a child to the dz but I’d either bring a babysitter or have someone extremely responsible designated to take care of the baby while you're in the air.

Sandi

DZ's are much better places with kids around. Makes it feel like an accessible sport rather than an elitist one. That said, you will (I hope) fall so much in love with your child that you will start to worry about not being there for them. Then you'll think twice about jumping. Just make sure you think a third time and get your arse in that plane.

Take your baby to the DZ and let her jump. That's what I did and my baby loved it. Of course my baby was 21 years old at the time. ;) And now to quote RkyyMtnHigh,"Woooo Hoooo Wooo Hooo Hooo" My baby just got her "A" last month.
Think of how stupid the average person is and realize that statistically half of them are stupider than that.

However, all that aside, the primary reason kids don't do tandem skydives in the USA is liability. More specifically, the inability of parents in many states to sign away their kid's right to sue.

Well try a tandem paragliding flight in the USA instead then. My local gliderport in California will happily take young children up on a 20 minute ridge soaring paraglider flight. I even know a qualified pilot that isn't allowed to take a skydive in the USA because he's considered too young, and he's a damned good pilot. He does XC, some acro and numerous tow clinics. Same country different sport, different rules, not necessarily less risk depending on your choices.

I've fell pregnant and have decided to keep the baby, I believe that after the baby is born I will carry on skydiving. I am still skydiving at the moment.

I don't think it would be a good idea to skydive while being pregnant. My wife and I went to Aruba when she was like 4 months pregnant and I wanted to get a 4WD and go out into the desert. Our doctor specifically said not to activities that could bounce you around too much. So we took a tour bus instead. Please ask your doctor. The canopy opening has to be stressful to the pregnant body. I'm no doctor, it just seems to make sense. If your doctor says it's OK, do it. Otherwise, why take the slightest chance?

I have four youngn's and they are all very much skydiving "acclamated" I can entertain the youngest (age 3) for hours with skydiving videos. The thought of hanging it has never really crossed my mind. Being a mom and doing mom things defintily comes first (this is reflected in my low jump #'s) but it can be done. My two oldest run free at the dz when we go and they know all the rules, (ages 10 & 7) they have never gotten into trouble and I often see alot of other jumpers chit chatting with them and having fun with them (ball, frisbee, etc..) They also have friends that are also "dz brats" It might be a little hard with an infant, ours never went out until around age 1 and then they were confined to a playpen while we took turns jumping. But if you want you can make it work... and congrats on the baby, when are you due?