skydiveress

Babies and Skydiving?

HIya all

I'd like to hear all your opinions good and bad?

What do you think to having children then carrying on skydiving afterwards?

I've fell pregnant and have decided to keep the baby, I believe that after the baby is born I will carry on skydiving. I am still skydiving at the moment.
But my now Ex-Partner thinks that this will be impossible and that it wont be right taking a young child to a DZ, and that it would interfear that much that it would stop us skydiving altogether.

I dont believe this is true if you don't want that to happen. Why should a child take over your life, it should be involved with all parts of your life and if thats skydiving for us, then should this be a problem?

I'd love to hear from you all

Ta very much

sar
x

It all depends on the parents and their personal views. I know several friends who have kids and babies. I didn't see them very often, but when they did come out to jump, it usually wasn't an all day thing. My DZO, however, has a baby a few months old. He's out at the DZ every weekend since it's his DZ, and I don't see his wife much anymore (probably home taking care of the baby) and she's an AFF instructor/jumpmaster, but they did bring the baby out one time I was there (I'm only out there about once a month or so).

At any rate, be prepared for a drastic reduction in jumping after the baby's born, at least for a while. I'm getting myself ready.... ;)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

i have 2 babies a 3 yr old and a 1 1/2 yr old and they love going with me. And the people at the dz love my kids dont worry about it. Kids are fun and they will change your life. But look at it this way one day you and your child can jump together. My oldest on loves to watch people land. I dont think it will cut in to your skydiving as much as most people think we have a few instructors here that have children the same age as mine and they jump everyday.
life is short, Live it up!!!

I know lots of people that have young kids and still jump.I also know lots that have quit jumping after having kids.I don't think most quit because of the kids,just other things to do I guess.I do believe however that the kids should be a part of your everday life.I know some peopel that get a sitter when they go to the grocery store.Then then can't figure out why their kids don't know how to behave in public.

I have a 3 1/2 year old and it does not interfere with my skydiving the reason for it great wife that lets me jump every weekend and she watches the kid, and on the rainy days and weekends I take care of the kid. So if I was by my self it would be hard to skydive and have a kid.

You asked, Quote:"Why should a child take over your life?"

Here's why.
When you have kids that's all you have. Kids. They are YOUR numero uno responsibility. Period.

Things will be very different and you will have to see whether skydiving fits into your new lifestyle. It could entail a break for awhile or not. Only you will be able to tell as time moves on. And believe this... Time will accelerate!

jon

I started skydiving way back before I ever had children. I continued jumping after both were born. Just remember the baby is your responsibility and don't expect anyone else to take the time to watch your child if you bring him/her to the DZ.

I found it was better to leave the little ones at home or with a sitter so my husband and I could get away for some time.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

... Just remember the baby is your responsibility and don't expect anyone else to take the time to watch your child if you bring him/her to the DZ.

Some kids are cool to have around at the DZ and some are real pains.
It would be really nice if parents were able to objectively assess the situation and act accordingly.

Most just bring the kids and dump them on the DZ and expect everyone else to watch out for them while the parent(s) skydive - bummer.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I'd like to hear all your opinions good and bad...

I don't think there is a good & bad. It's what's right for YOU!

That being said, here's a bit of reality.

I believe all the other answers so far are from people that have done it with two parents, if I understand your post correctly you're going it alone.

If you stay that way, you will have a bit of a handicap in regard to both time and money. Kids are VERY time consuming and quite expensive, especially if you are not 'ready' for it.

You hear that a lot, I know I did, but I had NO idea until the time came. And to be honest I'm glad we waited until we were financially secure enough and had plenty of back up resources.;)

Someone mentioned there is no reason to let kids take over your life, well...I disagree.
If you choose to bring a child into the world, it should become you number one priority. At least in the begining. They deserve it.

It takes a lot of committment to keep them safe and healthy, to teach and guide them.

It takes a LOT of maturity..

>>>But my now Ex-Partner thinks that this will be impossible and that it wont be right taking a young child to a DZ, and that it would interfear that much that it would stop us skydiving altogether. <<<

You Ex is more concerned about a child 'keeping you from skydiving together'...
If that's where his head is at on this situation, good luck![:/]

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Most just bring the kids and dump them on the DZ and expect everyone else to watch out for them while the parent(s) skydive - bummer.

Agreed.

I am probably in the minority, but not everybody loves kids. Personally, I don't come to the dropzone to hear crying babies and screaming kids. And who is watching the kids when the parents are jumping? Somebody responsible or another kid?

For me, the dropzone is a playground, an adult playground. Children will always be around, nothing I can or will do about that. But, just be aware that there are some of us who wish you would leave the curtain-climbers at home.

No hard feelings, just an opinion.

-Jeff.
http://www.iplummet.com

Common sense and common courtesy are NOT common.

Here's another thing to consider; what happens if you get hurt and need a trip to the hospital? All the sudden, someone who was watching your kid for just one jump is now stuck with the task of caring for your child and calming it down while it's calling for Mommy until someone on your emergency list can be reached.

You also have to realize that if something does happen to you, odds are that your child is going to see it. That is something that might cause a few nightmares for a long time.

If you bring your child to the dz, I'd suggest at least bringing a full time babysitter with you.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I'd like to hear all your opinions good and bad?

What do you think to having children then carrying on skydiving afterwards?

For many years, you will be the center of your child's universe. You--and only you--can make the decision about whether you are willing to risk leaving your child to the tender mercies of an alternate caretaker in the event you should meet with misfortune.

First things first. You need to make provision for your child's future in a world where you no longer exist--because it's not just skydiving that can maim or kill you. And having made a plan for the worst case scenario, you can then decide what level of risk you are willing to take on as your child grows.

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

I know a couple of chick jumpers that jumped while they were pregnant and then continued to jump when they had their baby! It is all a matter of personal opinion as to wether or not it is good or bad to take a child to the DZ... Plenty of video guys and other jumpers bring their kids and it works. Jumpers help to keep an eye out for the kids (at my DZ) or they bring friends to help watch their kids while they are jumping... Involve the child, you are already and will be for a long time the center of this child's life. It will open up a world of possibilities (might even get a packer out of it...hehehe:))....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Be the change you wish to see in the world!

Here's another thing to consider; what happens if you get hurt and need a trip to the hospital? All the sudden, someone who was watching your kid for just one jump is now stuck with the task of caring for your child and calming it down while it's calling for Mommy until someone on your emergency list can be reached.

If you're willing to watch a friend's kid for one jump, is it that big a deal to be willing to go further in that fairly rare event? It's not like she broke her ankle on purpose.

Well behaved kids (or dogs for that matter) are fine at the DZ. But kids raised in an Disneyland that doesn't include swearing or unhappy events might learn more than the parents bargain for. At the bay area DZs I don't think I've run into any bad kids yet.

Be very careful skydiving while pregnant. A friend of mine went on a tandem [whuffo] about 4 weeks after she found out she was pregnant. She miscarried that night.

That's not to say that the abrupt opening necessarily did it -- frankly, it could've been completely unrelated. Better safe than sorry, of course.

But afterwards? Go for it!
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

Be very careful skydiving while pregnant. A friend of mine went on a tandem [whuffo] about 4 weeks after she found out she was pregnant. She miscarried that night.

That's not to say that the abrupt opening necessarily did it -- frankly, it could've been completely unrelated. Better safe than sorry, of course.

But afterwards? Go for it!

A Search will answer most questions about skydiving while pregnant.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

First things first. You need to make provision for your child's future in a world where you no longer exist--because it's not just skydiving that can maim or kill you. And having made a plan for the worst case scenario, you can then decide what level of risk you are willing to take on as your child grows.

I think this is the most important part of it. Plan and prepare. Plan for an alternate caregiver if something happens to you, plan for loss of income in case you get injured, prepare your kid so he/she can handle seeing you get injured if they're gonna hang out at the dropzone, etc.

Kids can handle a lot more "reality" than people give them credit for, but as a parent you gotta prepare them for it.

Having a baby changes everything!!:)
I agree with the other posts about having an a "plan" should anything happen to you. Whether it is broken ankle or a broken neck, you need to have things planned out.

That child will rely soley on you. You are the mother, and that little one will look to you for everything. You can be an incredible parent on your own...

You should definetely check with your doctor to make sure that he/she is okay with you jumping while you are pregnant...but is it really worth it???

Don't worry about skydiving in the future... everything works out. Concentrate on a heathly pregnancy and be happy. Enjoy it!!:)

From the woman who knows. Your desire is tempered by what is best for your kids and we all respect that. Although, I must say, some of us are a little offended that you don't bring them around to meet your "weird" friends. :D

It has to be a tough decision. Glad I don't have to make it. Although, I think being around so much positive energy (for the most part) and diversity can't be a bad thing... B|

Kim
Watch as I attempt, with no slight of hand, to apply logic and reason.

I think some have got the wrong impression when i said why should it take over you life.

i will take full responsibility for my child and will put my child first, but i also want to carry on with my hobby.

i want my child to be brought up around a DZ, i think they are great places with lots of fun friendly, and mad peolpe. i think its good for a child to be out doors and meeting lots of people instead of kooped up inside.

sar
x

From the woman who knows.

No kidding, eh? :ph34r: My kids came with me to the dz a few times when I first started at another dz. When I was taken out in an ambulance, that changed my mind about bringing them out there on a regular basis.

Although, I must say, some of us are a little offended that you don't bring them around to meet your "weird" friends.

Well, it's true...my daughter wants nothing to do with you weirdos. ;) On the other hand, my son does want to skydive when he gets older. He says the dz is boring when you just come to watch. As he said, "I want to be having fun myself instead of watching you have fun". I can understand that.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I have 2 girls, now aged 7 and 11.

Since I've been jumping for over 20 years, they have spent about 20 weekends a year at the DZ since the day they were born. The elder one has done 2 Tandems, the younger one is due for her first tandem next year.

I don't stay over for the parties when they're at the DZ. They've seen plenty of ambulance rides and can usually tell why.. "Yeah, another low turn... When will they learn?" from my 11 year old last time it happened.

There has been one fatal at the DZ when they were there, but they never saw it, and when they asked, I told them what happened. I don't think they think it could happen to me yet. I think I'm a better parent being who I am than stopping jumping and resenting them for it though.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

skydiveress
It is all a matter of personal opinion as to wether or not it is good or bad to take a child to the DZ... Jumpers help to keep an eye out for the kids (at my DZ)...

Yes, personal opinion, but the opinion rightfully belongs to those affected by the kids running around.
And you will notice that the opinions parallel the behavior of the child.

Kelpdiver
Well behaved kids (or dogs for that matter) are fine at the DZ. But kids raised in an Disneyland that doesn't include swearing or unhappy events might learn more than the parents bargain for.

Kind of like the parrot that said "Fuck You" on national TV when the owner tried to get him to say "Hello".
:D

All said and done, I don't think you would be doing the kids a favor by bringing them at an early age...maybe later, give them a couple of years to develop their personalities, and go from there. It would be very sad to see an infant in a carrier sitting off to the side, alone, while Mom is jumping and not around to attend to its needs. Bring a responsible person to care for the kids while you jump...please don't lay it off on the skydivers.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Bring a responsible person to care for the kids while you jump...please don't lay it off on the skydivers.

Unless the skydivers don't mind.

Keep your eyes open, have consideration for others, and you should know (hopefully) when you've overstayed your welcome. Our DZ is overflowing with babies this year, and I've yet to see a moment when someone isn't offering to hold a child. Some of the currently childless jumpers seem especially eager to play with the infants. It's a joy to behold.

Which is to say, every drop zone is different. Every skydiver is different. As long as you don't expect others to take care of your responsibilites, everyone can benefit from your gift!

-eli