jumpjunkie2004

What's your favorite plane?

Not sure if choppers count but it'd have to be a tailgate chopper.... best of both worlds except for higher altitudes perhaps.

If not a chopper it'd have to be a CASA ...heaps classier than a Skyvan with no tailgate not there issues.

Once you've jumped a DC3 it's hard not to include them in a list of favourites ...

So best one?? a turbine DC3 yes please.:)

Not sure if choppers count but it'd have to be a tailgate chopper.... best of both worlds except for higher altitudes perhaps.

If not a chopper it'd have to be a CASA ...heaps classier than a Skyvan with no tailgate not there issues.

Once you've jumped a DC3 it's hard not to include them in a list of favourites ...

So best one?? a turbine DC3 yes please.:)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

We have a winner!
DC-3s have enough interior room that you can stand on your hind legs like a gentleman.

...you're climbing at a comfortable rate that I'd guess is no more than 600 fpm...

So, did you get one or two jumps in during daylight hours? :P

If your idea of heaven is being able to fly backward in a 30-knot headwind while carrying an entire baseball team plus the manager for the price of a mid-range BMW, have we got an airplane for you.

:oB|.

Here's what I was jumping this weekend. Takes 12 jumpers.

Ah, the AN-2.... gotta love a plane that takes 20 minutes to climb to 3k... :P

If the weather ever clears up, I'll be checking out a new DZ in Macedonia that has an AN-2...
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

http://www.seqair.com/...UnFalco/UnFalco.html

All in all, a remarkable machine. If your idea of heaven is being able to fly backward in a 30-knot headwind while carrying an entire baseball team plus the manager for the price of a mid-range BMW, have we got an airplane for you.

There's Only One Problem: the FAA Doesn't Like An-2s.

. . .

The FAA saw the prospect of 20,000 uncertificated six-ton, 1,000-horsepower airplanes that could be bought for the price of a used Skylane and flown by private pilots-soloed by students, even-since their gross weight was just 350 pounds under the 12,500-pound type-rating restriction. So they said, "If you simply want to own the world's biggest biplane and display it at air shows or rent it to ad agencies, you're welcome to it. And you can do all the proficiency flying you wish, but we're going to make it impossible for you to do anything but proficiency flying, by limiting you to landing only back at your departure airport. Have a nice day."

Sounds like a perfect jump plane to me. I've seen one take off before. Most taxiways have more than enough runway! If there is a decent headwind, a person could run along side it while it takes off.

Other favorites:

Skydive MO's widebody C182. 13 min to 10K fully loaded fairly easily.

Jet Bell helicopter at Quincy. The only time the ride to altitude was much more fun than a very enjoyable skydive.

Skydive Deland's Porter. Extremely fast climbing. Plus, you gotta love a plane that can carry more than it can hold. It's more comfortable if a slot remains unsold, though.

Any tailgate aircraft

Anything that's not a King Air :P

Here's what I was jumping this weekend. Takes 12 jumpers.

A guy I know in the Netherlands has jumped from one of these. I Googled up the DZ and found the
picture of the one he was talking about - on the airport's "historical aircraft display" page! As he said,
"It's huge, and slow, and ancient, and everybody loves her."

Eule
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.

I've also been reading posts here, hearing people talk about the green light and not being able
to tell the pilot about the spot and thinking "WTF? Why can't you talk to the pilot? He's sitting right next
to you!"

On most twin-engined airplanes the door is 20 or more feet from the pilot, so you need a systems of lights and switches to communicate with the pilot.

I figured that part out. :) I'm just used to jumping from a 182.

Eule
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.