jumpjunkie2004

What's your favorite plane?

But it's still not a tailgater....

Tailgates are fun too, but they aren't my favorite.

And why? Me thinks you might just be some propaganda plant for Ray. :P

It may have just been that a) I was disappointed to be bumped and b) hangover effects from the night before started to kick in, but.....at the American Boogie, my first jump of the day was from the CASA. It seemed to climb nice and fast. Next jump, one of the engines didn't want to start and we got bumped to the Otter (from the CASA). I felt that I had to try and not bump the person on my left (from falling into them), I suddenly felt nauseous and that plane seemed to climb only barely faster than a 182. That Otter seemed slow as hell compared to the CASA.

Depends on the Otter. To the best of my knowledge:

-100 series: small engines, light airframe.
-200 series: small engines, heavy airframe. Climbs like a dog on a hot day.
-300 series (Super Otter): big engines, heavy airframe. Climbs like an owl with a cattle-prod up its arse.

As to the original question: I love the Otter for 4-way (floor seating rather than side benches, please) and the Skyvan for pretty much everything else. Being last diver out of the lead Skyvan on a bigway is amazing B|.

Depends on the Otter. To the best of my knowledge:

-300 series (Super Otter): big engines, heavy airframe. Climbs like an owl with a cattle-prod up its arse.

As to the original question: I love the Otter for 4-way (floor seating rather than side benches, please) and the Skyvan for pretty much everything else. Being last diver out of the lead Skyvan on a bigway is amazing B|.

Thanks.

Skybytch,
So which one was at AB 2005?

I'm just a big fan of the Twin Otter, love the door, the exits, just like the plane in general... I've also jumped from a King Air, Grand Caravan, CASA, PAC 750, and Skyvan.

FGF #???
I miss the sky...
There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary and those who don't.

In the early 80's, when USPA Nationals and the corresponding boogie were held in Muskogee Oklahoma, I got to jump the normally Florida based DC-3, 'Mr. Douglas'... not soon after boarding, they fired up the massive sound system, and me and 40 of my 'new' closest friends got to rock to Lynyrd Skynyrd's 'Free Bird'. It was memorable.

I didn't want to age myself BUT, I busted my cherry on Douglas listening to "UP All Night" by the Talking Heads. It was so much rockin fun I seriously considered not going home, like my friend Theresa, who didn't.

Data is valid only for Otters still flying original wings and engines which are very few.

-300 wings replaced most of the -100 and -200 wings and allowed the introduction of the -27 and the -34 engines to the Otter fleet.

An Otter with -27 engines should get to altitude in 12-15 minutes allowing 3 loads per hour for the dz.

An Otter with -34 engines should get to altitude in 12 minutes allowing 3 loads per hour for the dz. The difference between the -27 and -34 is pure horsepower. The -34 is derated to 650 hp from its full capacity of 1150 hp. What this means is this puppy can climb at full speed and power from take-off to drop altititude (since it is really only running at 50%+- power).

For cost, maintenance, ease of operation and STOL capability the Otter is the best jump plane by far.

Blue skies,

Jim

Data is valid only for Otters still flying original wings and engines which are very few.

-300 wings replaced most of the -100 and -200 wings and allowed the introduction of the -27 and the -34 engines to the Otter fleet.

An Otter with -27 engines should get to altitude in 12-15 minutes allowing 3 loads per hour for the dz.

An Otter with -34 engines should get to altitude in 12 minutes allowing 3 loads per hour for the dz. The difference between the -27 and -34 is pure horsepower. The -34 is derated to 650 hp from its full capacity of 1150 hp. What this means is this puppy can climb at full speed and power from take-off to drop altititude (since it is really only running at 50%+- power).

For cost, maintenance, ease of operation and STOL capability the Otter is the best jump plane by far.

Don't forget reliability. Otters are very tough too.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Not quite a plane, but:

1) Mi-8 helicopter. Seats more than 20 (never have counted heads), 8-10 minutes to altitude, and it's about 12 USD a jump here when you buy in bulk. Nice to live in the former Soviet Union. :ph34r:

After that, I'd call:

2) King Air
3) An-28