rocketdog

those with NO, NONE, ZERO ratings....

just wondering what the reason is:
1) don't need to be staff to have jump funds?
2) students are potential "killers"
3) you have fun jumping with friends
4) you plan on it, just waiting for enough experience/jump #s

personally, i enjoy the freedom of being able to get on a load whenever with whoever i want. i admire those who give back to the sport constantly (by working with students) but for me, i'm just content love freeflying right now....

~hollywood

see the world! http://gorocketdog.blogspot.com

I have no ratings, only because I don't have enough jumps. I could go out and get a coach rating, but that doesn't pay anything where I'm from. I pack to pay for jumps untill I get a tandem rating and then I will do tandems and pack.

I want to do tandems because I think it would be fun to experience someones first skydive right along with them, not for the financial benefits. I would do tandems for free if I could. But I can't afford to.

The only reason I work for a dropzone period is because skydiving is retarded expensive. I make $15/hr at a factory and there is no chance I would do more than 1 or 2 jumps a weekend unless I work for a dropzone. That's just not enough for me.

--------------------------------------------------
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson

i don't want to turn my hobby into my j-o-b.

Which is why I'm unlikely to fly outside camera for tandems. I'd also be cautious about getting a tandem rating... after all, my weekends are my fun time.

RW Tutor (~=Coach)? Yeah. AFF? Probably. I'm not experienced enough for either yet, but maybe next year for the tutor rating. Another year or so at least before I start to think about an AFF rating.

The only rating I have and the only one I wanted anyway is the PRO rating.

I thought about doing tandems, but my smallish size and not-so-healthy knees nixed that idea.

I also thought about doing AFF jumpmastering and eventually instructing, but I just don't have the time needed to get through the certification courses. Plus, training new students is a whole new responsibility I'm not sure I want.

I love doing demo jumps, and I put on a good show, so the PRO rating is well worth it. :)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

The only rating I have and the only one I wanted anyway is the PRO rating.

I thought about doing tandems, but my smallish size and not-so-healthy knees nixed that idea.

I also thought about doing AFF jumpmastering and eventually instructing, but I just don't have the time needed to get through the certification courses. Plus, training new students is a whole new responsibility I'm not sure I want.

I love doing demo jumps, and I put on a good show, so the PRO rating is well worth it. :)

Oops, forgot about the pro rating. I definitely want one of those.
cavete terrae.

Could be a while... you need 500 jumps minimum, I believe... work on your accuracy skills in the meantime. If you can consistently stand up your landings within a 10 meter circle, or <5 meters from target, you've got a good chance to earn it.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Could be a while... you need 500 jumps minimum, I believe... work on your accuracy skills in the meantime. If you can consistently stand up your landings within a 10 meter circle, or <5 meters from target, you've got a good chance to earn it.

Yeah, I've got a couple years before I have to worry about it. I've been hitting 10 metres with standup, but now I'm moving to a new canopy, so it'll be like starting over. From 280sqft old F-111 7cell to 210sqft semi-elliptical ZP 9cell :S
cavete terrae.

Yeah, I've got a couple years before I have to worry about it. I've been hitting 10 metres with standup, but now I'm moving to a new canopy, so it'll be like starting over. From 280sqft old F-111 7cell to 210sqft semi-elliptical ZP 9cell :S

Best thing to do is to have put a couple hundred jumps on a canopy that you plan to keep for a while, by the time you're ready to try the PRO rating certification tests. Nothing against a big 210 sqft canopy like that, but certain 7 cells make better accuracy canopies. That's not to say you couldn't qualify on the 9 cell. I know some people who have done it that way too... ;)

I want to get my coach rating soon, but I dont ever want to or intend to make any $ off of it... I just want to be able to jump with new jumpers if I so choose to, not that I'm all that experienced or been around a long time compared to many of you all. I really enjoy jumping with the new jumpers, it's a challenge to me to keep with them sometimes which is fun, and their excitement rubs off. ;)

FGF #???
I miss the sky...
There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary and those who don't.

I started jumping later in life and my focus is different than most. I just want to enjoy myself and I can really have fun just punching a hole in the air along with jumping with friends. I log jumps that are notable or just enough to demonstrate currency but most don't get written down. That's probably not the best way to be, but it works for me.
I am not the man. But the man knows my name...and he's worried

I spent ages concentrating on 4-way instead, but always wanted to be a coach, which I got last month. It doesnt pay anything but that's not why I do it anyway (I have a day job!) its all about satisfaction. Anyway I figured if I got my coach rating now, then with a bit of practice by the time I hit 1000 jumps I might be a 'good' coach! :P;)

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.

I'm learning to fly tandem camera at the moment - it's a great way to get my jump numbers and skills up, plus to be a part of someone's first skydive experience!

I'm also working on getting my Jumpmaster's rating so i can start to give back to the sport by way of teaching.

The JM Rating will also allow me to get a coach rating and i love the idea of getting people stuck on and helping them progress in freefly.

One day when i have enough jumps i will get a BMI rating and an AFF rating, again cos the thrill of introducing people to the sport and to the nylon crack appeals to me.

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

There are some 'professional jumpers' at my DZ that refuse to jump unless someone else is paying their ticket, even for things like night jumps. No matter what ratings I get, I'll do my best not to be like that.

I pack to make extra money at the DZ, my husband also packs. It's very lucrative, and we always make at least the first and last loads of the day. Some weekends are slow enough that we can do 5-10 jumps in a weekend each, others we are busting our asses so much we're too tired to get on that last load of the day knowing it means 2 more rigs to pack.

But honestly, I love doing it. This winter I'm working on getting my rigger's ticket because I love to know how things work and fix problems.

Eventually I'll do the coach course (probably next year), eventually AFF. I love teaching and there are enough other instructors at the DZ that I won't be eliminating fun jumps for work jumps. My husband wants to be a TM. And it better not be for the women :P

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

I've only *just* amassed enough jumps to get anything other than the coach rating. I don't even feel ready for that, so I'm not going to be going for my coach and SLI rating any time soon. I'm still working on my own skills and awareness ... don't feel at all ready to work with students yet.

For now, I'm content to continue to grow as a skydiver and work with new A licensed jumpers on a more informal basis.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke