tdog

"But if it [sky diving] was safe, nobody would do it"

Lets not be politically correct just for the sake of being politically correct.

But if it [sky diving] was safe, nobody would do it"

Read that statement and look back over history. Why did people start jumping?Why did you make your first jump? People on this board want to be warm and fuzzy and all that baloney. We commit suicide on a regular basis and get to live to talk about it. Why do people like roller coasters or fast cars rock climb etc.. because it ISN'T SAFE. If it was safe everyone would do it.

You can't sugar coat the fact that we are jumping out of airplanes, go ahead try to convince yourself that the danger isn't part of why you jump. If it isn't then I am scared of you. If some part of you doesn't enjoy the danger then how can you have respect for it?

god, I just hate to think that people believe skydivers jump because it is dangerous

Just who are you talking to there? Cuz that made me LAUGH.

Skydiving isn't for everyone thats why theres bowling.

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

There are non-skydivers who are regular flyers at the wind tunnel in Orlando. Since they have no fear of death, it must be something else that keeps them returning.

Very good point... My point exactly. I wish I said it...
I enjoy the tunnel very much too... I don't think I would give up the skydiving part to just fly the tunnel, but it proves flying your body is fun regardless of the risk level

Ummm read the Print in bold.Think this proves the opposite of what you was saying:S If skydiving was safe they wouldn't be IN THE TUNNEL but out in the Sky with the rest of us crazy fuckers:P

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

They are in the tunnel because they enjoy flying their bodies. We are in the sky because we enjoy the same thing.

I get to leave the plane and fly around the sky with my friends. Same essential concept, bigger venue. Plus, I get to do some other stuff that is not confined by tight space.

If there is ever a totally safe method of skydiving, I would certainly prefer that.

What's funny here is the danger addicts can't admit that other people do the sport for completely different reasons.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

What's funny here is the danger addicts can't admit that other people do the sport for completely different reasons.

How do we know you're not the one in denial?!

Actually I wrote that the numbers would be substantially reduced, but still left plenty of room for other reasons to do it.

If it isn't then I am scared of you. If some part of you doesn't enjoy the danger then how can you have respect for it?

Please explain that logic.

Though I've never had a loaded gun pointed at my head, I'm reasonably certain that I would not enjoy it. Still, I respect the danger present in having a loaded gun pointed at one's head.

I'll choose, to the best of my ability, to never have a loaded gun pointed at my head.

Fly safe,
Mike

If you're gonna' be stupid, well, then you're most likely stupid.

If you didn't "enjoy" that twinge of fear you get from jumping out of an airplane then your mind isn't going to be "OK" with that danger and your going to be worried about that danger and your not going to respect that danger and at some point that danger is going to come up and scare the shit out of you and your not going to be prepared for it.. My Opinion...If the danger of jumping out of an airplane scares you and you don't enjoy it there is always bowling.....My Opinion:P

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT

I think you're wrong.

In general, as skydiving gets safer, we find ways to make it more dangerous to keep the level of involvement (and the risk) the same.

As equipment became safer, we started opening lower. As squares became more reliable, we made them smaller and more flighty. So now we have people killing themselves on a regular basis, while flying an open parachute.

As freefall techniques became 'normal' we developed freeflying, where an accidental opening can kill you because of the speeds, or someone else.
Or boards, wingsuits, etc.

Every time we find a way to make something safer, we find another way to introduce a risk which hadn't existed before. That's human nature.

Yin and Yang.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

How do we know you're not the one in denial?!

1 - NO, I am not in denial. No way, no how. Not me. No denial here.

This was my other answer:

2 - Once you exit the plane and are still thinking about what kind of pizza you want to order after this jump, you'll see what I mean.

I'll stand by either.:D

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants