Slowfaller

2 point 8-way for C license?

I decided to stop being a boob and actually work towards getting my C-license. Setting a goal because going to the DZ became a chore for me but i digress.

If i'm remembering correctly and among other things, you need a 4 point 4-way for a C license and a 2 point 8-way for a D license. My question is: On jump 26 I did a 2 point 8-way so does that qualify me for my C or do i still need to do the 4 point 4-way?

Chris

--"Someday you will die and somehow somethings going to steal your carbon" -MM

If i'm remembering correctly and among other things, you need a 4 point 4-way for a C license and a 2 point 8-way for a D license. My question is: On jump 26 I did a 2 point 8-way so does that qualify me for my C or do i still need to do the 4 point 4-way?

http://www.uspa.org/publications/manuals.pdf/SIM2005.pdf

You are not remembering correctly. Page 12 of the 2005 SIM says the aerial performance requirements for the 'C' license are 2 points on an 8-way. There is no 4-point 4-way requirement for any license.

If you did 8 points on a 4-way, you could apply for your Falcon Award. That, however, is going away on December 31, along with the Eagle Award which is 4 points on an 8-way.

If you managed to get 2 points on an 8-way on Jump 1 as a student, it would count towards your 'C' license. Your accuracy landings also count from your first jump so make sure you accurately log how far from your intended target you landed. There are no accuracy requirements for the 'D' license.
What do you call a beautiful, sunny day that comes after two cloudy, rainy
ones? -- Monday.

If you did 8 points on a 4-way, you could apply for your Falcon Award. That, however, is going away on December 31, along with the Eagle Award which is 4 points on an 8-way.

God, I could get both the Falcon and Eagle.... But they want $15 each for those... That, plus my yearly membership renewal, plus my yearly coach renewal fees, plus my B and C licence fees this year, just does not make sense financially for such an easy accomplishment to achieve.... I guess I know why these awards are losing popularity and getting canceled...

Thanks for the info and sorry for the hijack.

Slowfaller... If you want to kill two birds with one stone, you can take the written test for the B and C at the same time... (Most instructors arn't going to complain that you learned more and were ready for your C early... Keep both applications and mark off the requirements as they apply to both... Then when you get 200 jumps, that formality will be done and you can send it in... I wish I did that... It would have been easier....

God, I could get both the Falcon and Eagle.... But they want $15 each for those... That, plus my yearly membership renewal, plus my yearly coach renewal fees, plus my B and C licence fees this year, just does not make sense financially for such an easy accomplishment to achieve.... I guess I know why these awards are losing popularity and getting canceled...

You need a better paying job if those things put you in a financial bind. :)

You need a better paying job if those things put you in a financial bind. :)

You got one? My salary requirements are a few hundred thousand a year, and two weeks paid vacation...:P

Slowfaller... If you want to kill two birds with one stone, you can take the written test for the B and C at the same time... (Most instructors arn't going to complain that you learned more and were ready for your C early... Keep both applications and mark off the requirements as they apply to both... Then when you get 200 jumps, that formality will be done and you can send it in... I wish I did that... It would have been easier....

It was explained to me by an S&TA that the USPA frowns upon this now. Apparently they want the requirements fulfilled before the exam be administered. The only requirement I have yet to fulfill for my C is the jump numbers, but I have to wait to take the test till then...I unfortunately couldn't take it at the same time as my B (@145 jumps). Maybe some instructors will still let you do it the old way though.
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

It was explained to me by an S&TA that the USPA frowns upon this now. Apparently they want the requirements fulfilled before the exam be administered. The only requirement I have yet to fulfill for my C is the jump numbers, but I have to wait to take the test till then...I unfortunately couldn't take it at the same time as my B (@145 jumps). Maybe some instructors will still let you do it the old way though.

It's not the USPA that has that requirement. I asked the man at the USPA who created the tests if I could take them (B, C & D) all at once. He said yes, no problem.

You have to pay for each licence in progression to get the next though. Or at least pay for them all at once. I think :S. I hope, because that is what I did.

--------------------------------------------------
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson

You have to pay for each licence in progression to get the next though. Or at least pay for them all at once. I think :S. I hope, because that is what I did.

I never paid for my "A". I just sent it in stapled to by "B"... Jury is out on the "C".... I could have it, the card is filled out, but should I pay the $$$ just for a letter????

yea, shell out the $$$

I honestly dont know why people complain so much about the licensing fees... Mabey I'm stupid but I like the feeling of advancing in what I do, and in this sport one way of advancing is getting new licenses. It's not everything, but I was proud to get my 'B' as uneventful as many may feel that is. This is an expensive sport, and I fail to see how the small amount of $$$ for licensing is "breaking" so many jumpers.

FGF #???
I miss the sky...
There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary and those who don't.

yea, shell out the $$$

I honestly dont know why people complain so much about the licensing fees... Mabey I'm stupid but I like the feeling of advancing in what I do, and in this sport one way of advancing is getting new licenses. It's not everything, but I was proud to get my 'B' as uneventful as many may feel that is. This is an expensive sport, and I fail to see how the small amount of $$$ for licensing is "breaking" so many jumpers.

Good point...

the feeling of advancing in what I do

God, I do too... I love coming down from a 10 way or 4 way and saying, "that was my best ever." Doing a perfect block and hearing my coaches cheer me on is awesome, and that is much more important to me than a letter on paper... When I earn my AFFI rating (a long term goal) and a "D", then I really will be proud... The "C" just is so anti climatic to me... I have earned the "C" on paper, I know I have earned it... I just don't feel like buying a number to prove it... Maybe tomorrow I will feel different.

The "A" means you can jump alone. The "B" means you can do night jumps and wind speeds are not as limiting... The "D" is the highest you can go. The "AFFI" means you are at the top of your game... What is the "C"?

Just my two cents.

But you have a very good point.

yea, shell out the $$$

Good point...

the feeling of advancing in what I do

God, I do too... I love coming down from a 10 way or 4 way and saying, "that was my best ever." Doing a perfect block and hearing my coaches cheer me on is awesome, and that is much more important to me than a letter on paper...

Which was exactly what I had in mind when I said that its "one way of advancing" :P

But for those that dont understand, dont jump, I can say that I have a 'B' license which to them makes it sound like I'm better than an 'A' license... or something like that :D

edited to add: Glad that some of us have goals to get instructor licenses, because I dont ;) I do want to get my coach rating, just because I want to give back to the new guys whenever I can. To be that one person that only one skydiver really was to me when I was working on my 'A'.

FGF #???
I miss the sky...
There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary and those who don't.

Page 12 of the 2005 SIM says the aerial performance requirements for the 'C' license are 2 points on an 8-way.

You also have the option of doing a full style series.

Four points on a 4 way used to be a requirement for either the C or the D license (it's been awhile, I forget which one it was).

Wow. When did that change? When I got my Falcon it was 4 points on a 4 way, Eagle was 2 points on an 8 way.

I guess I should send off for my Silver Falcon and Golden Eagle before they quit giving them out too.

I think I'm also gonna spend a little time and try to get the required jumps to get some of the awards before they go away / apply for the ones I already have... :)

FGF #???
I miss the sky...

I think I'm also gonna spend a little time and try to get the required jumps to get some of the awards before they go away / apply for the ones I already have... :)

I think I might too... We have until the end of the year right before the change...

These things are soon going to become "limited editions" - which immediately ads value...:$;):)

I think I might too... We have until the end of the year right before the change...

These things are soon going to become "limited editions" - which immediately ads value...:$;):)

[sarcastic]
Yup, before you know it we'll be old school with those stupid awards they used to hand out :P:D
[/sarcastic]

FGF #???
I miss the sky...

With the advancement of freeflying, I wonder if the USPA will one day alter its license requirements to include freeflying docks, etc...

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

With the advancement of freeflying, I wonder if the USPA will one day alter its license requirements to include freeflying docks, etc...

They already allow something for freeflyers. For instance the 'C' license aerial performance requirements state you must do "either" a 2-point 8-way or larger skydive or...

"during freefall, perform in sequence within 18 seconds - a backloop, front loop, left 360-degree turn, right 360-degree turn, right barrel roll and left barrel roll."

pffft... that's not freeflying... that's style, as in style and accuracy.

Although does it specify that you have to start it from your belly? I could probably pull that sequence off from a headup position. :P:D

I didn't mean to imply that it was freeflying. It is just something a freeflyer could do if he couldn't do the 2-point 8-way.

It would be interesting to see you do it in the headup position. Be sure and get video and post it on skydiving movies. :)