Reginald

First Night Jump?

Reg... Get the license and ENJOY the experience. I've done 6 so far, (would have done more but the damn weather gods blow). Go to Kmart, or walmart and pick up some chemlites and bicycle strobs. Way cheaper than gear store. I used small chemlites from the bait store and clear taped them to my alti. Using a glow in the dark alti now. I tape a small keychain lite to my thumb to check out my canopy after opening. Pay attention to the briefing, each dz is different in the way they work nite jumps. Most of all...HAVE FUN.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, Shouting "...holy shit...what a ride!"

Go to Kmart, or walmart and pick up some chemlites

i found you can get these "party" lights from walmart that are plastic and run off three button bateries are great.. lost brighter than a chemlight and they last alot longer.... got a couple green ones and a white one..

Great checklist! I loved my night jumps and will do more. I would emphasize the part about letting your eyes adjust to the dark. Get away from the bright lights of manifest and packing areas. S&TA should certainly conduct a preflight briefing with all participants, including the jump pilot.
Night jumps are fun, but serious business. Prepare and then ENJOY the YEEHAW!
Attitude is everything!

Isn't it amazing that during night freefall the body fells the air better than during a normal day skydive?

My most memorable night dive so far was last August. We planned a 3-way drill dive but ended up playing around, passing kisses and howling at the full moon.;)

Night Jumps are cool, it's like stepping into outer space.
Story:
The drop zone had arranged for a car to be parked in the landing zone with it's headlights pointed in the landing direction. After opening I easily identified the car and begin to set up my pattern to land either right next to it or in front where the light was shinning. As I was on final something didn't seem right when the car drove away and I found myself very far from the landing zone and setting up on this random car on a dirt road. Fortunately I landed without incident but the spotter got hell from the entire pass.

Another related story; I made my first night jump on my 56th jump. At that time I had a girlfriend that was just getting used to the idea that my weekend days were being dedicated to skydiving instead of her, so when I told her I was going to make a night jump she asked in the most pathetic sorrowful voice;

"you mean your going to start doing this at night too?"